Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok, more info. It's NOT eco mode as the problem came back. After talking to some more folks over at DashCamTalk, and a mechanic friend who looked up the service manuals, I think we know what's going on.

The car has a ton of electrical components that stay running when you stop the car: the digital dash, the touchscreen, carplay, the modem, the fob proximity sensor, and more. There's so much that it drops the voltage below the 12V cutoff on the dash cam. This behavior is within Nissan's spec, but doesn't play nice with the camera. Not sure how Nissan's rebranded camera does it, but that basically doesn't matter.

The only real solution is a battery for the camera. BlackVue sells one for $360 which is a downright absurd price for a 6000mAh battery. Even at $100, that's probably 80% markup for them. It's a price for suckers is what it is. To solve this problem, he's going to build be a board with a buck boost converter and some LiFe batteries for $40. No risk of a lithium-ion fire, so we're just going to wire it up and shove it under dash and call it a day.

So yeah, this has been a "fun" adventure. I'll update once this thing is installed.
How about this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Sentra. I am facing same issue. I connected camera to red wire of T99F6. And after a min after close my car and headlights are off camera off as well. Seems "bat" connector is not doing what it supposed to. It behaves exactly as it is orange. I used multimeter an there is no 12 volt after car is off after one minute when complement light is off. So, it is not battery. Your camera needs 5v. Car has 12. So, camera charger will work fine untill cars voltage drops to about 7v. I am thinking about using fuse connection insted of T99F6. At least for bat. Also I will check other colors. Possibly some of them has constant 12v. For example BCM fuse has constant 12v on it. Can be used for bat

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes, it can run fine with much less voltage, but the camera's auto shutoff is equating voltage with capacity. So when it gets below 12V, it assumes that the capacity is low. The issue is these cars have no remaining power budget. It seems normal for the voltage to drop below 12V thanks to all the electronics that stay running, which fools the camera into thinking the battery is about to die. Turning off the voltage cutoff would also be a bad idea, because the camera really could kill the battery. There's not really a good solution without some extra hardware.

Although it looks a bit like a bomb, this is the battery pack we built. It hasn't been installed yet, but it should do a great job. Ignition will power the camera and charge the battery, and the camera will run off the battery when the ignition is off.

Hood Electrical wiring Automotive tire Cable Bumper

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks amazing. In my case bat red wire does not have any voltage at all when car is off. Like zero. So, I am assuming it is some kind of factory implementation to save battery. As for low voltage, not sure if camera hardware kit monitors voltage to protect car battery.... can be but camera manual does not say about it anything. In this case yes. External source of power as you did will help. I think camera in standby parking mode consums so little energy in comparrison to other car systems that that kind of monitoring is not that needed

21 - 25 of 25 Posts