Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CVT Shudder and Towing

Just saw a post in the towing forum asking whether people who tow have seen the CVT shudder.
Curious as to how many people have experience the shudder, and whether or not your Pathfinder does any towing.

Edit: Hmm didn't really want to post this, but since it did, we'll go with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Towing a Trailer with a CVT-equipped Vehicle

It is fine to tow a trailer behind a CVT vehicle as long as the maximum towing capacity limit is within the vehicle's towing capacity and does not exceeded the allowable weight when the load and the passengers are accounted for unless it states in the vehicle Owner’s Manual to never tow a trailer. Drive gently when towing, and avoid parking on slopes. However, if parking on a hill is unavoidable, there are certain steps to take. Apply the brake pedal. Have the vehicle in the D (Drive) position if facing uphill and the R (Reverse) position if facing downhill.

Have someone else place blocks on the downhill slope behind the vehicle and trailer wheels.
Slowly release the brake pedal, feeling the blocks absorb the load.
Engage the parking brake.
Shift the gear into P (Park) position.
And when leaving, put the transmission into gear before releasing the parking brake.

Like we are going to carry blocks with us, and i like this line "Drive gently when towing" sounds like this thing wasn't built for towing

·
Registered
33 Posts
Towing a Trailer with a CVT-equipped Vehicle

It is fine to tow a trailer behind a CVT vehicle as long as the maximum towing capacity limit is within the vehicle's towing capacity and does not exceeded the allowable weight when the load and the passengers are accounted for unless it states in the vehicle Owner’s Manual to never tow a trailer. Drive gently when towing, and avoid parking on slopes. However, if parking on a hill is unavoidable, there are certain steps to take. Apply the brake pedal. Have the vehicle in the D (Drive) position if facing uphill and the R (Reverse) position if facing downhill.

Have someone else place blocks on the downhill slope behind the vehicle and trailer wheels.
Slowly release the brake pedal, feeling the blocks absorb the load.
Engage the parking brake.
Shift the gear into P (Park) position.
And when leaving, put the transmission into gear before releasing the parking brake.

Like we are going to carry blocks with us, and i like this line "Drive gently when towing" sounds like this thing wasn't built for towing
Actually if the blocks are needed only when towing, it doesn't seem like an issue to me to stash a set in my trailer's storage area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use some harbor freight magnetic blocks when towing my 2x axle boat/trailer incase I have to park on incline during busy weekends/weekend warriors

·
Registered
24 Posts
So you shouldn't apply emergency brake, slowly release service brake - allowing vehicles weight to rest on emergency brake, then put it in park?

Yes you should but what it is saying is to rest vehicle weight on blocks not parking brake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts