Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 PF SV with 61,000 miles. Just had to have the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) replaced. Between 15-20 mph like going thru school pick up line, it would like shudder, like it was gonna cut off, give it gas and go at higher speed no problem. No check engine light came on, no clue anything was wrong except how it would do at the slow speed. We googled it, it said even with no warnings coming on it could still bring up a code when checked and sure enough. We were told it’s fairly common as they were still new in this model. Only gave us a 12 month 12,000 warranty on this one. Just paid it off last summer, they tried selling us another one but not interested. Luckily we purchased the extended warranty so it covered it. Really skeptical about keeping it now. Anyone else have this problem??

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
806 Posts
Very cool you had the extended warranty. There's probably 100's of threads on this forum in regards to 2013+ Pathfinder owners having the same issue you did. These things are hit/miss. They fail on some folks between 30-60K miles. Others go well beyond 100K miles. You never know. You don't hear of any/many failures beyond 2015 or so, but it might take more time.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,684 Posts
Anyone else have this problem??
Welcome to the forum !

I am surprised that you didn't know this was the most common reported issue on the 2013-2016 R52 Pathfinder. If you search "CVT issues" you are going to get more hits than what you are willing to read.

Some people have gone through 2+ transmissions, so many others have sold their PF's so it is hard to say. Many of us (me included) had it fixed and its been good after (knock on wood).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

I am surprised that you didn't know this was the most common reported issue on the 2013-2016 R52 Pathfinder. If you search "CVT issues" you are going to get more hits than what you are willing to read.

Some people have gone through 2+ transmissions, so many others have sold their PF's so it is hard to say. Many of us (me included) had it fixed and its been good after (knock on wood).
We purchased a 2017 S 4wd with about 70k on it. Tranny gave up at about 85k. It jerked a few times and then just wouldn't move. Fortunately we purchased from a dealer that "gave" us lifetime warranty so it was covered. Used vehicle warranties from dealerships are now better than OEM warranty. The issue with the trannies is the belt so, while it's not cheap, it's not a catastrophic failure usually. I say, put 'em to work!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
The issue with the trannies is the belt so, while it's not cheap, it's not a catastrophic failure usually. I say, put 'em to work!!
The Pathfinder CVTs don't use a belt. They use a chain. There's some great threads here w/ pics in regards to that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's a steel belt running on pulleys. No chain and sprockets. The interesting thing is that the belt drive actually pushes rather than pulling like a go-cart or any rubber belt system. I don't know how those engineers figured that out to work but it does. Pretty amazing stuff.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Once again, it's a linked chain that runs between pulleys and this 'feature' is ONLY in 2013+ Pathfinder s. The pic you linked to is not a 2013+ Pathfinder CVT. It could be from a Murano or any other Nissan CVT. Check here: Jatco CVT with a chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts