Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2015 Pathfinder SL 4WD, almost 41,000 miles. I am not living in the US since a while and I brought it to Nicaragua, so the city where I live (Managua) has a very hot weather, usually between 85-100°F. I am having this shuddering when it "change gears from 1st to 2nd and from 3rd to 2nd" but only if I am pressing the gas pedal between 1,000 and 1,250RPMs (mainly slow city traffic), when the shuddering happens the RPM needle fluctuates according to the shuddering, I make it go if I press down the gas pedal more, or if I release the gas pedal and then press it again; but If I press the gas pedal after I stop completely, from 2,000RPMs or above that, the vehicle runs very well, no shuddering, no power loss (never felt this before), everything goes normal.

A couple of days ago I replaced the 25230-79917 Relay and I will also replace the 25300-3JA0A ASCD Switch soon (Nissan Recall), I can tell that after I changed the relay, I feel the vehicle more responsive or faster.

So, my questions:

1. Any comments/suggestions in general about this issue?
2. Is the shuddering related to the hot city weather (I think so)?
3. Will an aftermarket Transmission cooler help in this situation?

Thanks for reading my post, have a nice day!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
899 Posts
Assuming this is a US model, I'm not sure what changing gears from 1-2 and 3-2 means given all we have is park, reverse, neutral, drive and low and it's a CVT.

What you are describing sounds like your standard failure mode of the CVT which starts with the shudder you describe, which will get worse to the point of failure. There should be stored codes which will indicate shudder codes.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,788 Posts
From your other thread, did you recently replaced the fluid? if so, what did you use?
What you describe is the same mine had, only happened at very low RPMs and speed.
I doubt you can fix it with a cooler, these vehicles have a built in radiator and heater to control the temperature to its optimal condition.
If you ever had the software update released back in 2015-2016, you should be able to get a code (no check engine light).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming this is a US model, I'm not sure what changing gears from 1-2 and 3-2 means given all we have is park, reverse, neutral, drive and low and it's a CVT.

What you are describing sounds like your standard failure mode of the CVT which starts with the shudder you describe, which will get worse to the point of failure. There should be stored codes which will indicate shudder codes.
Hello, thanks for replying. Yes, this is a US model. I know CVTs are different than regular automatic transmissions, what I mean with "changing gears" is when you are in Drive, the cvt somehow will try to "emulate" changing gears like regular auto transmissions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From your other thread, did you recently replaced the fluid? if so, what did you use?
What you describe is the same mine had, only happened at very low RPMs and speed.
I doubt you can fix it with a cooler, these vehicles have a built in radiator and heater to control the temperature to its optimal condition.
If you ever had the software update released back in 2015-2016, you should be able to get a code (no check engine light).
Hi. Yes, I forgot to update that other thread. I had my mechanic drained and filled the CVT Fluid with the AISIN NS3 CVT Fluid; but the shudder issue is the same with this new fluid as with the original.

What about your same Pathy issue? What did you do about it?

I will ask local dealer to update the TCM (I think?) software and read codes for me.

Thank You for your comments.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Read this.

If any of those codes are stored (software update is required), you either replace the valve body (my case) or the transmission. I believe they are now rebuilding them vs. full replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Read this.

If any of those codes are stored (software update is required), you either replace the valve body (my case) or the transmission. I believe they are now rebuilding them vs. full replacement.

Thank You. I read that and took notes, I have my appointment for TCM software update next tuesday. So after that, if the juddering is still happening as before, would I be able to see the P17F1 nor P17F0 codes (if stored) with my AUTEL MaxiDAS DS708? or this TCM software update make both codes readable on dealer scanners/computers only?

Have a nice day!

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
I don't know for sure, I never checked myself when the valve body needed replacement.
Maybe someone else chimes in.

After the update, I suggest you test drive it before officially leaving the dealer, try to replicate the issue and if it happens, ask them to check for codes. I spent some time leaning how to replicate the shudder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know for sure, I never checked myself when the valve body needed replacement.
Maybe someone else chimes in.

After the update, I suggest you test drive it before officially leaving the dealer, try to replicate the issue and if it happens, ask them to check for codes. I spent some time leaning how to replicate the shudder.
Thanks for your suggestions, I will do it. Fortunately, I now know how to replicate the shuddering.

I was wondering if after the valve body was replaced (your case) did the shuddering ever came back? or problem solved? Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
If there is an f code, that means it's slipped and is toast. If there are only pressure codes and no f codes, a valve body may be all it needs.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts