Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 2 weeks after purchase, the check engine light came on - CVT needs to be replaced. This is not a good way to start the ownership experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh no!!!

Well, 2 weeks after purchase, the check engine light came on - CVT needs to be replaced. This is not a good way to start the ownership experience.
i Literally just joined the forum to learn more about the PF's and i see this thread. I am a long time Nissan user, i have Titan and a Juke and am planning on trading my Juke to Paths. I hope this is just minor problem that happened in 1 in a million. I really want to get the path...(family just got bigger)

E

·
Registered
234 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Could you share with the group what caused the failure? There is apparently an issue with some of the cooling lines causing the CVT to fail - is this the cause of your failure? Did the tech make notes on the ticket as to the cause? Copy them here?

The CVT in the new Path is not without issue. There was a judder problem that was corrected in February by a service bulletin. (Well, I had it bad and the control module reprogram fixed mine since it hasn't happened since, but I hear others aren't totally cured.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm feeling the judder now on mine and it's almost all time between 10 to 20 MPH with applying light to moderate throttle, coming from a stop. Beyond that, car runs smoothly. Likewise i also feel this judder as it decelerate down to 20 a 10 mph. I brought it down to the dealer today and they said are unable to replicate issue and there is no TSB on my VIN. It's funny because I got a call from Nissan HQ in Tennessee last Friday and I was told to bring to the dealer as there is a voluntary code reprogramming of the CVT which relates to help fixing the judder. I had emailed Nissan customer service several days prior to my receiving of email. I will bring it in again and talk with the service director this time. I had the car approximately 2 weeks now also with about 1500 miles. Something is definitely not right with this. Other than this, I love this car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not yet sure the reason for the failure. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick the car up. In the 2 weeks of driving, we did not notice the judder that has been referenced on the forum. More information to follow as I learn it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wow that sucks, definitely not something you should be going through as an owner of a new vehicle, but it happens.

Looking forward to the reason as to why it happened. Did they end up giving you a loaner car or rental?

·
Registered
98 Posts
In all likelihood it will just be labelled "defective part", which can happen to the best of them....perhaps I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support. Update: Apparently a sensor related to the torque converter failed and at this early stage of ownership, Nissan has authorized a complete replacement transmission. Transmission, however, is back ordered with no eta.

Dealership gave my wife a Nissan Titan (File:Nissan-Titan-crewcab.jpg - Wikimedia Commons) for the weekend, and in light of the Pathfinder's extended absence, she traded that in for an Altima. A 13 Pathfinder is, apparently, coming in as a rental and we may end up with that while our car is in for service. There has been and will be no charge for the rentals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the support. Update: Apparently a sensor related to the torque converter failed and at this early stage of ownership, Nissan has authorized a complete replacement transmission. Transmission, however, is back ordered with no eta.

Dealership gave my wife a Nissan Titan (File:Nissan-Titan-crewcab.jpg - Wikimedia Commons) for the weekend, and in light of the Pathfinder's extended absence, she traded that in for an Altima. A 13 Pathfinder is, apparently, coming in as a rental and we may end up with that while our car is in for service. There has been and will be no charge for the rentals.
That is exactly what Nissan USA did to me.., they have my Dealer replaced the entire CVT Transmission. Got back my car more than a week now.. and driving it like mad... and so far so good. :) ..and will continue to monitor my situation thou.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been following all of the transmission discussions. I bought my car nearly three weeks ago and have not seen any issues. However, I get a little nervous whenever I drive the car. Now, once in awhile I feel a slight jerk when the car is cruising and I hit the gas to accelerate. But to me, it just seems like a normal car downshifting and the torque jerk the car a little bit. I saw people saying that they can replicate it whenever they want but did not say how. So, how do you replicate the judder? And is it only around 10-20mph? That seems to be the sweet spot I have been reading. To people who are experiencing the judder, is it for a few seconds and the car jerks several times before it accelerates or decelerates? Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been following all of the transmission discussions. I bought my car nearly three weeks ago and have not seen any issues. However, I get a little nervous whenever I drive the car. Now, once in awhile I feel a slight jerk when the car is cruising and I hit the gas to accelerate. But to me, it just seems like a normal car downshifting and the torque jerk the car a little bit. I saw people saying that they can replicate it whenever they want but did not say how. So, how do you replicate the judder? And is it only around 10-20mph? That seems to be the sweet spot I have been reading. To people who are experiencing the judder, is it for a few seconds and the car jerks several times before it accelerates or decelerates? Thanks!
It's not easy to replicate the judder. I feel it every single time I drive my car, but I can not replicate at will yet. The best way to describe it, is it feels like your driving over a rumble strip. If you take your foot off the gas or press it harder it will stop. It seems to happen only when the trans hits a sweet spot. It usually happens at slows speeds when accelerating slowly, but I've gotten it to happen to me around 45mph as well, but not very often. It usually happens around 15-25mph for me.

Unless me dealer comes back to me with an answer I'll keep driving it until the tranny blows up. I have an extended warranty, and I have emails between myself and the service adviser complaining about the issue. If I'm causing premature tranny wear then Oh well that's Nissans problem.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Nissan and Infiniti have done a good job at backing up their CVT transmissions since they first came out. I have faith that if the transmissions are faulty that they will be replaced.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone! This is Angela, Stephen posted the original thread.

There was NOTHING wrong with my car. No shudder, no jerk, the car was driving perfectly fine. I had the car at the dealership for a couple of minor things from purchase. On my way home, the check engine light came on (still driving PERFECTLY fine). Called the dealer right away, he was shocked. Took the car back in the next morning. They gave me a rental and he called me later to let us know that my transmission needed to be replaced. It was backordered through Nissan with no estimated time of arrival. Today is the 7th day Nissan has had my car. :( The plates arrived yesterday - no car to put them on!

I will say, driving the rental, (also a '13 pathfinder) my mpg is vastly improved.

Angela aka The Boss :p

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi everyone! This is Angela, Stephen posted the original thread.

There was NOTHING wrong with my car. No shudder, no jerk, the car was driving perfectly fine. I had the car at the dealership for a couple of minor things from purchase. On my way home, the check engine light came on (still driving PERFECTLY fine). Called the dealer right away, he was shocked. Took the car back in the next morning. They gave me a rental and he called me later to let us know that my transmission needed to be replaced. It was backordered through Nissan with no estimated time of arrival. Today is the 7th day Nissan has had my car. :( The plates arrived yesterday - no car to put them on!

I will say, driving the rental, (also a '13 pathfinder) my mpg is vastly improved.

Angela aka The Boss :p
Please keep us informed. Many of us early purchases are watching the CVT closely. There are many complaints of CVT failures requiring replacement. Some seem to be caused by a loose cooling line. I think we would ALL LOVE to know what caused yours. Make sure they tell you! :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
So for the newbies on the fourm? has the CVT shudder issue been fixed with a code upgrade?? what manufacture date was it fixed??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine was Complete CVT transmission replaced after less then 450miles. But never reoccurred again since then. But continue to watch.. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
So for the newbies on the fourm? has the CVT shudder issue been fixed with a code upgrade?? what manufacture date was it fixed??
I picked up my Path in November so it was probably manufactured in Sept/Oct. I had the low speed/acceleration judder and the driving over rumble strip analogy is perfect.

The CVT TCM reprogram worked perfectly for me.

I'm now concerned about another issue discussed on the board about the cooling line for the CVT being designed poorly which is apparently leading to complete transmission failure and replacement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I picked up my Path in November so it was probably manufactured in Sept/Oct. I had the low speed/acceleration judder and the driving over rumble strip analogy is perfect.

The CVT TCM reprogram worked perfectly for me.

I'm now concerned about another issue discussed on the board about the cooling line for the CVT being designed poorly which is apparently leading to complete transmission failure and replacement.
It would seem to me that fixing a poorly secured cooling hose would be much simpler and cheaper fix that replacing transmissions. I would expect Nissan would want to recall and fix those before the transmissions go out. Corporate decision that a complete recall would do more to hurt sales and the bottom line than replacing transmissions on a one on one basis?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No update today. Hopefully, I will be able to provide an update with more information next week.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts