Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 PF has 137k miles, and started shuddering/skipping/fluttering while driving at city speeds (20-30mph). I can feel it on the highway but only very slightly.
I am 700 miles from home.

every mechanic I speak to says the transmission gets replaced - not fixed or rebuilt.

it’s going to cost me almost 5k for a new tranny.
My car is actually running pretty well. I’m getting around town where I’m visiting, including time in the highway.
Do I REALLY need a new transmission? 5k is a lot for us.
Thanks,

chris

·
Registered
582 Posts
They can be rebuilt, but i don't know what the cost difference is. You could call a dealer and ask for a quote on both. I'm not sure if anyone outside of the dealer rebuilds them.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,370 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

You should first get a code. The software needs to be updated if you don't have the revision that came out on 2016.
The updated software will store one of two codes if there is an issue. One code will be to replace the valve body (tech will inspect the pulleys in the process) and the other to replace the transmission. If the pulleys are scored, they need to be replaced.
Any dealer can replace the valve body or swap the transmission for a new or rebuilt one. I don't think they will rebuild yours.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,478 Posts
What's the history of the vehicle? Has the CVT fluid ever been changed in ~9yrs/137K miles?

At this age/mileage, if you have the judder code, feel the judder and keep driving the vehicle, the transmission will need to be replaced. You'll probably make it home no problem, but like anything mechanical, who knows.

Reactions: 440scout
1 - 5 of 5 Posts