Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good day guys. Just finished 35k miles periodic maintenance service. Service advisor told me that it is also due for cvt fluid change. IIRC the due for cvt fluid change is at 50k or 60k, correct me if I'm wrong. What do you rhink? TIA

·
Registered
139 Posts
@jman Yeah the service advisor told that also about the brakes, lol. Re cvt fluid change, I looked it up again in the owners manual coz i got confused and it states

“(1) If towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier or driving on rough or muddy roads, inspect CVT fluid deterioration at NISSAN dealers every 60,000 miles (96,000 km), then change CVT fluid if necessary. And if the inspection is not performed, change (not just inspect) CVT fluid every 60,000 miles (96,000 km).”

Anyway, will probably do it on 40k miles service.

@seanmaru As far as i know, as long as you follow the standard maintenance procedure on the owners manual and you have proper documentation, there will be no problem with warranty claims but of course the last say is still gonna be Nissan

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,423 Posts
If you compare how new fluid looks to how CVT fluid tends to look after 20-30K miles of use, you definitely wont want to wait until 60K miles. Color doesn't necessarily mean the fluid is "bad", but I believe once it looks dark, it's got wear materials floating around in it that I'd like to get out. Check this thread: 2019 Pathfinder CVT fluid drain/fill.

·
Registered
139 Posts
@PoManzPathy Thanks for the link. On my 40k service I will ask the service advisor the result from CONSULT how is the cvt fluid, I'm pretty sure the tech guy did not connect it to CONSULT to check the cvt fluid because the service advisor did not show anything to me.

As per owners manual:

"If towing a trailer, using a camper or car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, re- place the CVT fluid every 60,000 miles (96,000 km) or request the dealer to inspect the fluid deterioration data using a CONSULT. If the deterioration data is more than 210000, replace the CVT fluid."

But I will not wait for the 60k and have it done earlier as per @jman said it never hurts doing it more often

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Not to say it's not of value or doesn't happen, but I've never heard of a Nissan tech who actually retrieved or used the CONSULT number like talked about in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did first cvt fluid change on a 2017 pf at 48k miles. I bought it with 36k miles and always noticed a little hesitation on launch and I thought it was normal. The first dealership I went to said they inspected the fluid and it had no issues (at 36k miles).

After changing fluid yesterday, zero hesitation.

Before I left, I asked my service advisor if they saw anything that was a concern. he said the techs didn't see anything.

After I drove it, I let the service advisor know it no longer hesitated even slightly on launch. He said he would make a note of it in the file.

This pf has never towed (no tow hitch).

So, is this normal to experience some slight hesitation over time? Is it something that can be used to guage fluid replacement intervals? Do y'all think it was water or something else in the transmission fluid?

Does NOT give me a warm fuzzy feeling...

·
Registered
11 Posts
@jman Yeah the service advisor told that also about the brakes, lol. Re cvt fluid change, I looked it up again in the owners manual coz i got confused and it states

“(1) If towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier or driving on rough or muddy roads, inspect CVT fluid deterioration at NISSAN dealers every 60,000 miles (96,000 km), then change CVT fluid if necessary. And if the inspection is not performed, change (not just inspect) CVT fluid every 60,000 miles (96,000 km).”

Anyway, will probably do it on 40k miles service.

@seanmaru As far as i know, as long as you follow the standard maintenance procedure on the owners manual and you have proper documentation, there will be no problem with warranty claims but of course the last say is still gonna be Nissan
sir kindly tell me if nissan path 2015 not run on muddy or rough road or townig tailer and not inspected before now 130000km when shold change cvt fluid?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
sir kindly tell me if nissan path 2015 not run on muddy or rough road or townig tailer and not inspected before now 130000km when shold change cvt fluid?
I would change it now and would have changed it much sooner. There's no harm in doing so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sitting in dealership now and parts manager tells me you can't change the cvt fluid enough. He said that's the key to longevity with the tranny as a whole.
30,000 would be the max I would go now. My 2014 pathy is new to me and shudders like crazy on the hills. I'm changing the fluid this week but if I see metal shavings in the fluid or on the pan magnets it's new tranny time. If not I'm replacing the control valve body while I'm in there. And I've heard the filters last a long time but my intent is to change the filters with the fluids because it's just better to no contaminate new fluid with what's in the old filters. Same as engine oil IMHO.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
Resetting the degregation is supposed to be done after replacing cvt fluid. The number is sort of arbitrary and is not a unit of miles or time. I can't remember off hand what a "bad number" is but I know it's extremely rare to get close to it. For some reason the number 200,000 comes to mind, but I could be wrong. Even bad units don't show a high number, so I'm not sure how much it can be used as a guage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts