Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the dreaded CVT failure finally happened to me. I was doing 50 mph with a car traveling closely behind me when my 2014 Pathfinder (with 94,500 miles on it) suddenly lost power and decelerated to less than 20 mph. The car behind me swerved and narrowly missed me and the car behind it almost hit me as well. It was terrifying. I had no idea what had happened so I pressed the accelerator and it finally lurched forward after two or three seconds. I got it off the road and had it towed to the dealership. Once it arrived at the dealership, it threw the stored code of P17F0, which denotes a full transmission replacement is needed. The service advisor said it was just out of the extended warranty in December 2020, but I could call Nissan to see if they would cover part or all of the cost of a new transmission. I called and opened a case, and was assigned a regional rep in Tennessee. The regional rep called me today and stated that Nissan was not willing to cover any of the cost of the new transmission, which is $4700. I told him that was absolutely crazy, as there have been countless class action lawsuits about this CVT, and Nissan knows the JATCO transmissions are defective. He said he was sorry, but he could not help.

I will never again in my life buy a Nissan. It was so disappointing how I was treated. I bought this car thinking it would last for years and years and now I can’t wait to get rid of it. There’s no way I’m letting my kids drive this car, even after the transmission is replaced. Nissan is asking for multimillion dollar lawsuits be refusing to cover the cost of replacing these defective transmissions.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It stinks that that happened to you, but it's got almost 100k miles on it and you're out of warranty. I can't imagine another industry where people want a company to put up $4k to replace something after they've owned it for 7 years and even the extended warranty has expired.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It stinks that that happened to you, but it's got almost 100k miles on it and you're out of warranty. I can't imagine another industry where people want a company to put up $4k to replace something after they've owned it for 7 years and even the extended warranty has expired.

I see what you mean. I bought this car used about 18 months ago, so I personally haven't used it for 7 years. I would have been happy if Nissan had covered 25% of the cost or even if the service manager had sold me the new CVT at cost plus labor (without the markup). Given that this particular JATCO CVT has been the subject of multiple class action lawsuits and has resulted in at least one death, you'd think Nissan would want to put forth a little bit of goodwill now instead of being sued for millions of dollars later when the CVT causes another death. The company has bled money over these CVT issues but you'd also think they would value customer retention and safety a bit more. It was just disappointing.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Agreed. Maintenance and breakdowns happen to every vehicle. I wouldn't throw out the entire Nissan brand for one issue, albeit a significant one. I got a new CVT tranny last year too and it's still a great vehicle. Stuff happens. It wasn't the tranny that nearly got you run over either, it was the knucklehead tailgating you... then I'll bet he was mad at you for slowing down. Crazy world we live in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. Maintenance and breakdowns happen to every vehicle. I wouldn't throw out the entire Nissan brand for one issue, albeit a significant one. I got a new CVT tranny last year too and it's still a great vehicle. Stuff happens. It wasn't the tranny that nearly got you run over either, it was the knucklehead tailgating you... then I'll bet he was mad at you for slowing down. Crazy world we live in.
How is your new transmission holding up? I'm so nervous this is going to happen again with the new one.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,048 Posts
I understand your frustration, Nissan sold thousands of vehicles with unreliable transmissions, not only Pathfinder's but also Rogue's, Murano's and other that also use these CVT's. And in my opinion they deserve to be called "unreliable" after there being so many (much higher than average) issues reported with these CVT's.
So, we got screwed, our vehicles have a terrible resale value and many of us feel like having a ticking bomb, not knowing when the transmission will fail.
But although that [email protected]&ks, we cannot expect Nissan to cover their poor design forever. Vehicles have an expected lifetime and at some point they are going to wash their hands. It is a business and as in every business, their first priority is making sure their stakeholders make money. This is no different than any other brand.
You should still file a safety complaint to the NHTSA, they are the ones that could eventually force Nissan to consider this a safety issue and issue a recall.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,098 Posts
I would still approach this issue at the dealer level and try another dealer if you have to. You almost have to beg and plead for them to go to bat for you. Explain how you love the Nissan brand and will buy them again and perhaps buy from that particular dealership. Don't end the conversation at the service advisor level. Speak to the service manager or any other dealer management. You have to stay very cool about it. Generally if you offer to pay some of the cost the dealer will figure out how to get it fixed for you. If you get nasty, it's over. I've seen this too many times and been through it personally with Nissans and others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would still approach this issue at the dealer level and try another dealer if you have to. You almost have to beg and plead for them to go to bat for you. Explain how you love the Nissan brand and will buy them again and perhaps buy from that particular dealership. Don't end the conversation at the service advisor level. Speak to the service manager or any other dealer management. You have to stay very cool about it. Generally if you offer to pay some of the cost the dealer will figure out how to get it fixed for you. If you get nasty, it's over. I've seen this too many times and been through it personally with Nissans and others.
This right here... As much as it sucks and we expect a company to honor their product, if warranty is up and they're not legally bound then you have to accept that. That being said, anything more from there is about getting someone to help you and go the extra mile. Staying polite and courteous about it is about the only way it'll work. As soon as you lose your cool then those that may be able to authorize going the extra mile or fighting your case are going to see that instead of the issue at hand.

Hope you get it figured out one way or another. I had a Subaru with known issues in the same position. Right around 100k miles on it and the repair cost wasn't worth the value of the car. If it's something you've only owner for 18 months then that's a tough pill to swallow though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. Yes, I've been very careful to be polite and respectful when asking for assistance from Nissan. The service advisor has been so nice and the service manager was, too, but they said they can't help. The regional representative in TN was also friendly even while denying me any assistance. According to Nissan, I've gone as far up the chain as I can so I think I'm out of options. It's frustrating but I would never treat someone badly over it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
.........The service advisor has been so nice and the service manager was, too, but they said they can't help.
I've been told this before by Nissan service managers and others. You have to plead with them over if there's anything at all they can do at the dealer level. Ask them if there's anyone else you can talk with on this. Tell them you absolutely understand and expect it to cost you something. I wouldn't throw any dollar amount out, let them do that first.

Worst case scenario, I know I wouldn't put nearly $5K into a soon to be 8yr/old Nissan with close to 100K miles. Trade-in values are at what I would call an all time high at the moment. I'd work them up as high as possible on a trade-in allowance. Pick something out that you like on their lot and work the best deal you can. Guaranteed they'll get Nissan to cover some of the cost of a replacement CVT on it then.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Definitely try another dealer. I had an out-of-warranty issue with a Mitsubishi and even the dealer couldn't stomach Mitsu's cost of an ABS controller - $4600 CAD! I ordered one from Los Angeles and had it shipped right to the dealer - $1100 CAD! Dealer quoted me flat rate of $500 to replace (remember they had to drain brake lines, etc.) but when the bill came in, they rounded it down to $1500 CAD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would post a complaint to the BBB and Attorney General of your state for the Dealer and for Nissan. Some companies have a department just to handle these complaints and to get them resolved. I've done it with a couple companies and had someone contact me to help resolve the issue. Not sure it will help in your situation, just provide links to all the online complaints regarding the CVT failure. Hopefully you can get a resolution. Have a great day!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't understand why someone would do that. Warranty expired. That's it. Done. The lawsuit outcome has been addressed with an extension to certain vehicles, not all.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't understand why someone would do that. Warranty expired. That's it. Done. The lawsuit outcome has been addressed with an extension to certain vehicles, not all.

If someone were to escalate this particular incident like that, those entities would just squash it. As you say, out of warranty is out of warranty.

Again, I feel for the OP, but a bee flying into the cabin can almost kill someone in traffic.

Reactions: Tutti57

·
Registered
52 Posts
... Worst case scenario, I know I wouldn't put nearly $5K into a soon to be 8yr/old Nissan with close to 100K miles. Trade-in values are at what I would call an all time high at the moment. I'd work them up as high as possible on a trade-in allowance. Pick something out that you like on their lot and work the best deal you can. Guaranteed they'll get Nissan to cover some of the cost of a replacement CVT on it then.
This is a good strategy. Trade it in on a newer Nissan, and the dealer may be pretty generous with a trade offer. As PMP says, the dealer will be motivated to get it fixed in order to re-sell your car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's all good. We're loading up to St. George Island, Florida tomorrow. It's my wife's SUV so I don't take any risks. She's gotta have a dependable unit.
Had a great trip... now if only I could find a gas station with gas available.... just kidding. Found gas available at most stations.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My car was out of warranty by 4k miles. and the cvt tramission was shuddering a lot, I brought it to my dealership in NJ and they fixed it for free. So it can be done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts