Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

While out driving yesterday, I flipped the info screen to the fuel economy details and noticed that when I was coming to a stop, the current fuel usage graph would max out like I was fully applying gas when in fact my foot was on the brake pedal. Once I started to apply gas again, the graph would then fluctuate normally depending on how much gas I was applying. Again, once I come to a stop, the graph immediately maxes out again like I'm flooring it even though my foot is completely off the gas pedal and on the brake. Anyone else ever see this before? I couldn't find anything by searching the forums.

The average fuel economy numbers aren't increasing to reflect these "new instances" of supposed fuel usage at stops so I believe this is some kind of display glitch.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello,

While out driving yesterday, I flipped the info screen to the fuel economy details and noticed that when I was coming to a stop, the current fuel usage graph would max out like I was fully applying gas when in fact my foot was on the brake pedal. Once I started to apply gas again, the graph would then fluctuate normally depending on how much gas I was applying. Again, once I come to a stop, the graph immediately maxes out again like I'm flooring it even though my foot is completely off the gas pedal and on the brake. Anyone else ever see this before? I couldn't find anything by searching the forums.

The average fuel economy numbers aren't increasing to reflect these "new instances" of supposed fuel usage at stops so I believe this is some kind of display glitch.
I wasn't aware we had a fuel usage but just the real time MPG. Is this the graph you're talking about? That one would make sense that it would max out when you let off the gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't aware we had a fuel usage but just the real time MPG. Is this the graph you're talking about? That one would make sense that it would max out when you let off the gas.
You are correct, it's a real time fuel economy graph. However since I'm in Canada, my fuel economy reads in "L/100km" (ie. units of fuel per distance) meaning I want to see a lower number as compared to MPG, (ie.# miles per unit of fuel) meaning US owners want to see a higher number. So in Canada I would expect the bar to drop to 0 at a stop whereas in the US I would expect it to max out at a stop (as I am seeing now). Am I thinking of this correctly?

Also when I apply gas, the bar increases, when I let off the gas the bar lowers. When I approach a stop and am just about to come to complete stop (starting at around ~20km/h) the fuel economy bar starts climbing even though my foot is off the gas pedal completely. Maybe the bargraph wasn't converted properly to display in L/100KM?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the bar will grow because you are not moving but still consuming gas, so you're getting 'inifinite' liters per 100km, meaning the bar will go as high as it gets.

In the US, the equivalent would be the economy bar to get to 0 since you are doing 0 miles per gallon (engine running but you are not moving).

Now, if the car had a start/stop system, as the hybrid will, then you will be using no gas while stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
This must be your first vehicle with an instant-MPG gauge. What you're describing is exactly how it works. It helps you temper your driving habits to obtain maximum efficiency.

When you're stopped, you are achieving 0MPG. When you're coasting along at highway speeds and your throttle is light or you're off the peddle entirely, you're going to see the bar go way up as you're covering more distance and using little fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts