Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dreaded cooling fan bearing failure on our 17 pathfinder occurred at 43k miles. I took it to an independent shop to replace.

I have now noticed that both fans run all the time, no matter if the A/C is running or not.

I believe it is an aftermarket fan/relay assembly from A1 auto.

I even noticed that putting it in "on" (double press the push button start without pressing the brake) and both fans start running with the engine off.

I'm not getting a check engine light, but
I don't think this is normal. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
Share a pic of the fans the shop installed, it is possible that they didn't use a compatible fan control module and just mickey moused the wiring.

Have you gone back to the shop for an explanation?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taking back to the shop tomorrow. I just wanted to confirm that no fans should be running when it is "on" (double press push button start with foot not on the brake). Maybe temp sensor is not providing a signal and the fans are in some kind of limp mode. Temp is stable at a little below 1/2 guage range when operating/driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fans ran when put in "on" and the engine had not been started in 2 days. Engine was dead cold, yet both fans spooled up within seconds of the car being put in "on". I just want to check with others that this is not the way their pathfinder reacts. Pretty sure it doesn't. I just don't know anyone that has a pathfinder to compare. I guess I could test one at the dealership...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
Fans ran when put in "on" and the engine had not been started in 2 days. Engine was dead cold, yet both fans spooled up within seconds of the car being put in "on". I just want to check with others that this is not the way their pathfinder reacts. Pretty sure it doesn't. I just don't know anyone that has a pathfinder to compare. I guess I could test one at the dealership...
Fans should not run if engine is cold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ipdm board had a bad trace and fans were in failsafe mode. Mechanic found a salvage yard replacement out of a 2017 Pathfinder and replaced the board. Thanks for the help. This forum is invaluable. I don't believe this part falls under powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. 2015 pathfinder. Did you find a fix for it ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before I brought our pathfinder to the independent mechanic to replace the fan assembly it was acting normally (except fan bearing rattle).

After he replaced the fans, both of them ran full tilt all the time.

The mechanic investigated and replaced the ipdm board. I think they shorted something and failed a trace on the IPDM board when they did the repair. They got a replacement IPDM board off a 2017 pathfinder at a junkyard.

I believe a new IPDM list price is more than $1k.

It is possible that there is a broken wire from the ipdm board to the fan controller which would be a much cheaper fix.

It may be worth taking it to a trusted Nissan dealer to troubleshoot.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
558 Posts
You have to keep in mind that at least on the 2017+ Pathfinders, one or both cooling fans run 100% of the time on low speed if any HVAC mode is on. It doesn't have to be A/C. Could be having the heat on or just ambient air blowing in. Any mode on, one fan will run even if it's a -10degF cold start up. Super annoying. The only way you will have no fan running is having the HVAC system turned OFF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts