Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2018 pathfinder and this year we had a freeze in texas
After the freeze we noticed the car would smoke at startup and go away in less than a minute
Anybody know why? No overheating,oil pressure normal no water in the oil no oil in the radiator it runs normal

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,098 Posts
For sure it's smoke and not white clouds of steam condensation?

How many miles on your 2018 and what oil change interval have you been following? Reason I ask that is there is an alarming amount of sludged up 2017+ pathfinder engine threads if you poke around. The 2017+ uses the direct injected VQ35DD engine and that direct injection seems to be very tough on oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not condisation it has less than 23k and change the oil every 5k miles 0w20 Castro full synthetic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What really kills me is that I always bought american cars when my friends and family always told me an import last two times longer than american cars just give an import a tune up at 100k miles and it will last another 100k
My first import and not even 30k

·
Registered
7 Posts
from Canada here, I have the same issue on my 2017 with 168K on it. Although it happened to mine 3-4 times during cold start and once when I was at a traffic light and had been driving for 30 mins or so and at that time the smoke was white and black and it was so much that two lanes of cars behind me didnot move when the light turned green because they couldnt see anything. Interestingly the car drives perfectly fine and I checked my oil levels ... no oil burn.

One thing I did notice it mostly happens with the car is on a standstill on a slope. The other thing I suspect is the injector cleaner I added to the fuel tank... it could be that burning off too

I took it to the dealership and they couldnt find anything wrong.. compression test of the engine was normal.. and just incase we changed the plugs, but it did still happen after the plugs were changed. The head mechanic at the dealership also told me that if the car has been at a standstill for a very long time ( Which was for me during to COVID and my car started smoking after COVID ... nothing before) then sometimes the oil can seep into the combustion chamber through the valve stem seals...according to him if the compression ratio is fine there is nothing to worry about it and the oil will burn off and it will stop the issue. In fact he said the extra oil and carbon generated will help in lubrication a bit and actually improving compression... which was weird to me since this is not a 2 stroke engine.

I am not planning to do anything more at this point... IMO I actually suspect its probably a bad injector.. but I havent got that tested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 2018 pathfinder and this year we had a freeze in texas
After the freeze we noticed the car would smoke at startup and go away in less than a minute
Anybody know why? No overheating,oil pressure normal no water in the oil no oil in the radiator it runs normal
If the valves and rings are okay, it is possible there are bad valve seals. It would be best to check for head gasket leak, and do a compression test to start. These tests are time consuming but not very difficult to do.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If an injector was stuck on to the point of a smoke screen, the car would have driven terribly.

Intake manifold has to come off to do a compression test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts