Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about the past 6 months, I hear a ticking/clicking/clunking noise while turning the steering wheel at 0 or low speed. It disappears completely at speeds above 20 kph. It sounds similar to when a front coil spring is broken and the broken ends click. Someone mentioned something similar on this forum, and the solution was to torque the control arm to crossmember mounting bolts (?) to 160 ft-lbs. I was wondering if it could be that or maybe the shock tower bearing? Hard to tell.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Best guess is strut bearing. Pop the hood, put your hand on the strut tower and have someone turn the wheel. Compare both sides. The bad one will feel notchy, and less smooth. If that's the problem, but it is a top suspect.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,478 Posts
I had the right front strut bearing go out on our 2019 at about 35K miles. It made a weird rumble noise that you could hear in the upper dash area at low or no speed turns. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

Reactions: GeorgeDiver

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I poked around while my son turned the steering wheel left/right for a few minutes (chewed up a bit of my driveway lol) and found that touching the upper strut retaining nut on each side revealed no odd "feeling". However, while watching the right coil spring (passenger), I could visibly see somewhat of a "jerking" movement as the wheel was turning, but the left coil spring was very smooth while turning...so strut bearing or something else?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts