Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to get rid of water spots on Plastic Trim that is painted with Chrome Paint (example door handles)? I have only had my PF for three weeks and after the first wash I noticed water spots on these pieces.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Strange. So the water spots are etched into the chrome paint?

That's a first. If a wash doesn't get it off you might need to rub some polish on it to get the marks off.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
glad to know it worked. You can try some sort of SPRAY wax to prevent it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same problem. Front grill, lower front bumper, lower side panels (passenger and driver side), rear bumper protector ledge and rear bumper front - all have what looks like rust spots and hard water spots. Scrubbing with wash MIT and Meguiars car wash soap did not work. What polish/wax do you recommend to clean the plastic chrome?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wouldn't use a polish but a good quality liquid wax. If your water is that hard and if you have the budget, install a water purifier or reverse osmosis system. If your water is that hard its probably screwing up you plumbing fixtures and especially your hot water tank. A neighbor up the street has one he purchased just for detailing his car and when he washes then rinses his car the water falls off the car in one quick sheet. But he spent approximately $1100 on the system. His water is not that hard but he is a auto detail Nazi and is a little over the top for me but if you have water that hard it might be worth it for all your house hold appliances.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer on the chrome pieces following a wash. It takes any spots off without leaving residue.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer on the chrome pieces following a wash. It takes any spots off without leaving residue.
I recently bought Mother's Gold chrome polish to remove a bit of tarnish from the winter weather. It works great and won't scratch.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
look into have opticoat applied to those pieces. should be cheap

its like a permanent sealant that should prevent etching if you have hard water

wouldnt be a terrible idea to have it applied on the entire car

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use the same stuff but also on the pain in-between Waxes. It's a great product and works great even on bird droppings.

I have been using Quik Detailer for years

·
Registered
276 Posts
There's a product called Mr Clean auto dry that supposedly cleans the car and leaves no spots and you don't have to dry the car by hand. It's sold at Walmart or amazon. Worth a look see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts