Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Worst dipstick ever

The dipstick on my 2017 Pathfinder is the the worst I've ever encountered.

I tried checking the oil while gassing up before our first road trip. With other vehicles, in the almost minute it takes to start pumping gas, the oil settles well enough to get a reading. I tried several times for a few minutes on the Pathfinder but just got a dipstick with oil well above the fill zone. After letting the Pathfinder sit overnight, I got a nice reading right at the top of the fill zone.

In addition to this problem, it is very difficult to get the dipstick back into the port. It is hard to see where it goes even in bright outdoor light. The bend in the dipstick makes it even hard to remove and insert.
Worst designed dipstick setup that I've seen in 30 years; same on my 2018. Perfect for introducing debris into your dipstick tube. I bent the dipstick slightly to introduce a curve, and it goes in a bit more smoothly. I'd like to get an aftermarket, cable-type dipstick for a more accurate reading.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,968 Posts
There is no dipstick on my bimmer. Everything is electronic. Ya gotta keep your fingers crossed that the technology doesn't let you down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reiterating how bad the dipstick design is on my 2017 Pathfinder... My wife had a dead battery (another recurring issue on our Pathfinder) and, for some reason, decided to check the oil. Neither her nor the tech from AAA could figure out how to get the dipstick back in. It also annoys me every time I change the oil or need to check the level - I can’t get a decent reading without letting the Pathfinder sit overnight.

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder S
20 Posts
Reiterating how bad the dipstick design is on my 2017 Pathfinder...
No doubt, seems an after thought as mentioned in another thread.

My wife had a dead battery (another recurring issue on our Pathfinder)
Just changed the original Nissan battery at 45,000 miles, which is a very unusual battery life here in Florida.

It also annoys me every time I change the oil or need to check the level - I can’t get a decent reading without letting the Pathfinder sit overnight.
I usually check the oil maybe once a month before I leave work after it has sit for 10 or so hours.

Don't forget the potential to push some crud/dirt down the hole. Crazy horrible design.

Bill

21 - 25 of 25 Posts