Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing an engine oil change and tire rotation on my 2019 Pathfinder today, I got a good look at the transfer case. I've seen a few threads on t-case issues here, but no advice on changing out the 75w90 GL5 gear oil in them. Given the tiny ~3/4qt capacity and the fact they're packed next to a catalytic converter makes me feel like that little bit of oil gets worked hard.

The 10mm hex drain plug is simple to get to, but the fill / level check plug took a foot long extension snaked above the subframe to be able to even reach the fill plug. Then you've got to rig up a means to pump fluid in, or route tubing down from the engine bay and fill it IV style. You could probably shove a piece of tubing on the gear oil bottle nipple and get it in that way, but probably only like half the bottle.

Just looking for experiences here.

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
I hope you're asking for future reference! With a 2019 Pathy, you shouldn't have to deal with that issue for several years.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought my 2019 used as an ex-rental and I've currently got 25300 miles on it. It will bug me until I get the T-case and rear diff oils changed out, plus these T-cases aren't necessarily known to be problem free.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I got around to doing a drain/fill on my 2019 Pathfinder's transfer case today. Vehicle currently has about 25700 miles on it. I barely got 10oz of gear oil out of it and refilled about the same amount until fluid dribbled out of the refill plug. The factory oil looked terrible to me and I guess not surprising given the tiny capacity and it's proximity to exhaust piping.

It's not a fun job on your back and the refill port is a bugger to get to. It's a horrible reach-around with a foot long extension with a 10mm hex socket on it. The drain plug is right out in the open. I need to invest in a fluid pump that can pump gear oil. I filled it from above IV style. Slow and dribbly.

I gave the T-case a ~10oz flush with some Supertech synth blend 75w90 I had on hand and then refilled it with Supertech full synthetic 75w90.

Just to add to the above:
According to the service manual for the ~2013-2016 Pathfinder, the transfer case oil capacity is 0.31 liters or 5/8 pint. That's about what I got out of my 2019. Volume is not given in the owner's manual.

The owner's manual does recommend the following service for the T-case and rear diff that I'm sure most folks don't follow: "If towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top, or driving on rough or muddy roads, change (not just inspect) oil at every
20,000 miles (32,000 km) or 24 months."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts