Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Has anyone replaced your catalytic converter? (I searched here and didn’t find a thread for this discussion, yet.) I’m at 107,000 miles and just threw the P0420 code. The local auto parts store recommended running a bottle of a product called CataClean through the system to see if that would help.
Just curious if others have had to replace their cat already and what mileage. What was the cost?

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,163 Posts
Are there any other codes? If yes, address those first. otherwise check for leaks before replacing the cat. Here is a good article about it.

I bought a cat for my Mazda 6 on Amazon for less than $160. I suggest you look there before buying.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No other codes. Will certainly check for leaks. Thanks.
I replaced the cat on my 2003 Toyota Matrix almost two years ago...found the cat and resonator assembly on eBay for a really good price with warranty. Pretty straightforward process.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m thinking it was a tank of poor quality gas. I ran the CataClean per the instruction (pour contents of bottle in tank when you reach 1/4 of the tank. Drive 10-15 miles. Fill up.). Within a few minutes of the fresh gas, the engine light went off. Time will tell as to the longevity of the fix. ?

Reactions: jman

·
Registered
302 Posts
I too have the code and i replaced my fuel pump at the time because the car would die at a quarter tank of gas, the filter was black as night in the canister. I have replaced the o2 sensor and the air fuel ratio sensor. Tempted to just delete my cats altogether. I tried that cataclean stuff and it worked for a brief hour and then the light came back on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ever since I replaced the fuel pump the symptom I had of the car dying at a quarter tank went away. The P0420 code is still there, I just live with it because my county doesn't care about emissions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in the DFW-metro. Gotta pass emissions inspection each year.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,237 Posts
Yeah, that does suck that the federal emissions warranty is only for 7yrs/70K miles for Nissan vehicles. You'd get new catalytic converter assemblies if you throw catalyst inefficiency codes within that. Other than that, I'd try spacers or antifoulers in the downstream sensor bungs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings,
Has anyone replaced your catalytic converter? (I searched here and didn’t find a thread for this discussion, yet.) I’m at 107,000 miles and just threw the P0420 code. The local auto parts store recommended running a bottle of a product called CataClean through the system to see if that would help.
Just curious if others have had to replace their cat already and what mileage. What was the cost?
I have the same code and theysaid it’s the converter 2014 pathfinder SL but when looking for parts there’s options for the left and right...so does that mean I have 2?! And also my car almost jumps when it’s rainy and wet out so I know I need to replace it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings,
Did you ever replace your left and right catalytic converters? If so, do you have the instructions for doing this job?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts