Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else worried about having their cat stolen? I was hoping to find a custom shield that could be installed but could not find one specific for 2013 and up Pathfinder. Seems with inflation more and more people are committing these crimes and stealing those catalytic converters. I don’t want to be next!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm not personally worried about it happening, but I can get why someone would be. I would think the thieves are targeting easy to access cats, to be quick about it, and ones that pay more based on amount of precious metals used. Some models have much more accessable converters than others. I've only seen one customer come into our shop with a loud exhaust where there was evidence of someone trying to cut the cat out, but that's it. Wheels still seem to be the more popular item to steal, from what I've seen at least. Probably just because they're easier.

I've seen some products that try to make it harder to steal them, but I'm not sure why they can't just cut the cages off too? A friend of mine at another shop shared a pic of one that he made for a customer and my other friend who has junk yard experience replied and said he could get that thing off no problem, so who knows.

They're definitely not all created equally. When I've sold old convertors to the scrap yard, the money you get varies, so finding out if you have a high demand car might be a good start. I've heard that the Prius has a popular one, but feel like pathfinders would be lower on the list.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,478 Posts
Like @Tutti57 said, this is sort of a nice thing about Nissan products. The catalytic converters for the most part, are mounted to the exhaust manifolds and are in a spot where a crack head can't easily and quickly get his worthless meat hooks into.

Just a few weeks ago I had to remove the top half of the catalytic converter heat shield off my daughter's 2015 Nissan Versa sedan. My hands looked like I got in a fight with 2 rabid cats afterwards. Not easy access laying on your back under the vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,478 Posts
Ha, exactly. I replaced a bad cat on a truck last week and was thinking the same thing. Good luck getting any cutting tools in there.
Ya hate to even think it, but if you live in an area where getting your CC's stolen is a real problem, it's best to look at the vehicle's design in regards to this.

For instance, my pentastar powered 2017 Ram 1500 would have been about impossible to steal the CCs on compared to my 2019 hemi powered Ram 1500, where they're w/in reach.

Reactions: Tutti57

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya hate to even think it, but if you live in an area where getting your CC's stolen is a real problem, it's best to look at the vehicle's design in regards to this.

For instance, my pentastar powered 2017 Ram 1500 would have been about impossible to steal the CCs on compared to my 2019 hemi powered Ram 1500, where they're w/in reach.
Okay, this helpful. What I’m hearing is it isn’t easy access even though my pathfinder sits high on the OEM 20 inch wheels. We also have a Honda Element and it seems they are an easy and therfor popular target. Glad to know these two vehicles are different in this scenario.

·
Registered
2015 Pathfinder
5 Posts
I'm an LEO in the San Antonio area. I'm not worried about my catalytic converter being stolen off my Pathfinder because they really aren't taking them. If you have a Toyota Tundra or Mitsubishi Outlander, I'd validate that concern. Ford Econoline vans are even targeted every now and then. Cant vouch for the rest of the country, but here our Pathfinders seem to be off the radar for that kind of theft.

I had a guy a few weeks back tell me
after his 2nd cat-converter was stolen off his Tundra.. he was thinking about tack welding a strip of razor wire around the converter and a few inches before/after where they cut it off with a sawzall. I have no idea if the welding would hold what with the heat generated around those areas, and it seems kinda Mad Max... but..... maybe?

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's the only way that would probably work right now - make it more dangerous.

I've heard of new legislation in my area about it and keep forgetting to look into it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts