Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Cargo Box for Rock Creek

13K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  lyc1977 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find a cargo box (Thule or Yakima) for ski season that will fit the Rock Creek's rack, ideally without adding additional horizontal bars. I test fit a few at a local REI but because of the "loops", the box wouldn't mount correctly without being off-center (which triggered my OCD). Neither Yakima nor Thule have responded. Does anyone have one that they can measure to see if it'll fit based on this diagram?

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive carrying rack Motor vehicle

See less See more
#4 ·
The issue I had was that the attachment points of the loops interfered with the built in clamps in the box by forcing the box to be too high for the clamps to work, and for some boxes I tried, they were the exact width as the clamps. I may have to attach a set of aero bars, then the box to the aero bars. I'll give it a try and see how it looks/works.

#6 ·
Its interesting how anything will get set up on this tubular rack. I am looking into awning myself and I am scratching my head there. Seeing how they propose online it being freely attached to nothing when it comes to this roof rack. I am hoping there will be options down the road or I might be looking into custom set up.

#7 ·
Agreed- I don't have a 2022 myself but the pictures of the rack make me think some designer was trying to find something cool to make without thinking of the practical implications. I put a lot of different gear on my roof, so I'd probably end up swapping it out for a roof mounted Thule/Yakima. I'd guess it isn't that hard to remove looking at the photo's.

#8 ·
One of the issues I had with the Thule, was the contoured bottom is what was hitting the loop, propping it up in the rear. All of their boxes seem to have this contour, where Yakima is flat. The other issue to overcome is the width of the clamps. The Thules I tested all landed on the loop attachment point (as described above). Does anyone have a Yakima that could measure the width of the clamps? All of the specs online are the distance between horizontal bars (front-rear), but nothing about width. Neither company has responded to this inquiry.
Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive design

#12 ·
One of the issues I had with the Thule, was the contoured bottom is what was hitting the loop, propping it up in the rear. All of their boxes seem to have this contour, where Yakima is flat. The other issue to overcome is the width of the clamps. The Thules I tested all landed on the loop attachment point (as described above). Does anyone have a Yakima that could measure the width of the clamps? All of the specs online are the distance between horizontal bars (front-rear), but nothing about width. Neither company has responded to this inquiry. View attachment 17901
View attachment 17900
Looks like THULE got that cargo box set up on that roof rack. I got this from a YouTube Video that I was just browsing though and came across this. I suppose you tested the THULE so from your point of you it works right? I am looking into that but I don't have any cargo boxes to test it yet.

Attachments

#14 ·
I tried the Thule Motion XT. You'll notice in the picture that the back is off the bars, that's because of the contour of the box and and the "loop" on the rack system. It didn't sit right and still had to be placed off center. I'm thinking the straight bottom of the Yakima would be a better fit. Knowing the width between the clamps (left to right) would be helpful in determining if the loops would interfere again.

#15 ·
I tried the Thule Motion XT. You'll notice in the picture that the back is off the bars, that's because of the contour of the box and and the "loop" on the rack system. It didn't sit right and still had to be placed off center. I'm thinking the straight bottom of the Yakima would be a better fit. Knowing the width between the clamps (left to right) would be helpful in determining if the loops would interfere again.
I just found this image that shows the distance between the clamps. It looks like only the Sybox 12 would fit, and it woul dneed to be off to one side. That may be my only option.
Product Automotive lighting Rectangle Font Line

#9 ·
I have had the same issue. I have a Thule Motion XL — xl. I have a solution and got it mounted by moving the the middle cross bar back. It is a tight fit with the mounting hardware but the box is secure. I now have to drill new hole in and tap a nut to secure the cross bar, as I used the original mounting hole on the other side.
Wood Hood Gas Engineering Machine

#16 ·
I have completed getting my Thule Motion XT -xl set up. It was mounted by moving the middle cross bar towards the back. Picture on my first post. I drilled in a mounting rivet bolt so it looks like all other mounting points on the bar. I put a bolt in the hole not being used to keep the elements out. The back of the box dose sit on the “loops” but is attached as per Thule specs and instructions. Box is centred and dose not effect the tail gate.
Wheel Tire Sky Car Cloud

Sky Cloud Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

#18 ·
I have had the box on now for almost two weeks and have zero issues, no effect to satellite reception. I thought I had more pictures but must have deleted them, I will try to take a couple for you this weekend and get them posted.
I did sent the solution to the company that sold the box, as they really didn't know what to tell me besides move the middle cross bar, and that the rear of box being high on the loops would was ok. I am really happy with how it turned out, looking like it came from the factory with extra mounting options. After all the time (a lot) spent on test fitting it took less than an hour to complete the modification and mount the box.

#19 ·
Problem solved. I removed the brackets that are the obstruction, capped the pipe with 1.75" rubber caps ($8 on Amazon), install the box. When the box comes off for the season, the bracket can be reinstalled. It's a non-permanent solution that doesn't involved any cutting or drilling. Be careful removing the bolts though, they're snug!

#24 · (Edited)
Well, I just picked up my 2023 RockCreek and tried to put my Yakima skybox 16 on top. The crossbars that Nissan put on the Rockcreek are two wide from front to back. When you go to clamp down the skybox it doesn't close all of the way. Not sure I want to road trip at a high rate of speed with this issue. Looks like I need to either go with a Thule or get to Yakima offgrid basket and mount the box on top of the basket.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

#25 ·
Followed and appreciated for the info. Hopefully, sales of the RC continue to soar and the after market catches on for some dedicated gear & mounts.

Keep up the helpful insight and pics! (y):D

#31 ·
I just bought a 2023 Nissan Rock Creek and I'm having a tough time finding a weatherproof storage box that would fit on top of the factory installed roof rails/rack. SO, I'm thinking of purchasing and installing a Yakima Lock-N-Load platform, so that I can install a Thule Pulse M. What are your thoughts on this approach? Or any other recommendations?

#33 ·
I have a thule force xt xl. I was able to get it to fit off center. The bottom of the box is not flat in the back. There are two humps that protrude down. One of those sits on top of the rear loop bar, making the cargo box not sit 100% flat. Im still able to secure it with all 4 clamps. No issues 75 mph on highway for 3 hours.

However I noticed the lift gate is rubbing on the sharp edge of the box when lift gate is open. I bought some sticky Velcro and put the soft side of the Velcro out on the lip of the box to avoid scratching.

#35 ·
I have a thule force xt xl. I was able to get it to fit off center. The bottom of the box is not flat in the back. There are two humps that protrude down. One of those sits on top of the rear loop bar, making the cargo box not sit 100% flat. Im still able to secure it with all 4 clamps. No issues 75 mph on highway for 3 hours.

However I noticed the lift gate is rubbing on the sharp edge of the box when lift gate is open. I bought some sticky Velcro and put the soft side of the Velcro out on the lip of the box to avoid scratching.
I just grabbed the same box during memorial day sale from REI! I think I'm going to either move the middle cross bar back or remove the loop 3 ways. Two people on here used each approach.

#40 ·
From the original post: " the box wouldn't mount correctly without being off-center (which triggered my OCD)"

What's OCD??

I don't have any experience with rooftop cargo box yet. Based on some google searches, it seems quite common for people to mount the cargo box off center for easier access.