Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a cargo box (Thule or Yakima) for ski season that will fit the Rock Creek's rack, ideally without adding additional horizontal bars. I test fit a few at a local REI but because of the "loops", the box wouldn't mount correctly without being off-center (which triggered my OCD). Neither Yakima nor Thule have responded. Does anyone have one that they can measure to see if it'll fit based on this diagram?

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive carrying rack Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just looking at your diagram, you might be able to clamp something to the bar loops that are up front also. FYI I have used the sears X-Cargo box for a decade+ and love it. It's huge, fits all sorts of crossbars- even if not as sexy as the slim yakima or thule models.
The issue I had was that the attachment points of the loops interfered with the built in clamps in the box by forcing the box to be too high for the clamps to work, and for some boxes I tried, they were the exact width as the clamps. I may have to attach a set of aero bars, then the box to the aero bars. I'll give it a try and see how it looks/works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the issues I had with the Thule, was the contoured bottom is what was hitting the loop, propping it up in the rear. All of their boxes seem to have this contour, where Yakima is flat. The other issue to overcome is the width of the clamps. The Thules I tested all landed on the loop attachment point (as described above). Does anyone have a Yakima that could measure the width of the clamps? All of the specs online are the distance between horizontal bars (front-rear), but nothing about width. Neither company has responded to this inquiry.
Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive design

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like THULE got that cargo box set up on that roof rack. I got this from a YouTube Video that I was just browsing though and came across this. I suppose you tested the THULE so from your point of you it works right? I am looking into that but I don't have any cargo boxes to test it yet.
I tried the Thule Motion XT. You'll notice in the picture that the back is off the bars, that's because of the contour of the box and and the "loop" on the rack system. It didn't sit right and still had to be placed off center. I'm thinking the straight bottom of the Yakima would be a better fit. Knowing the width between the clamps (left to right) would be helpful in determining if the loops would interfere again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried the Thule Motion XT. You'll notice in the picture that the back is off the bars, that's because of the contour of the box and and the "loop" on the rack system. It didn't sit right and still had to be placed off center. I'm thinking the straight bottom of the Yakima would be a better fit. Knowing the width between the clamps (left to right) would be helpful in determining if the loops would interfere again.
I just found this image that shows the distance between the clamps. It looks like only the Sybox 12 would fit, and it woul dneed to be off to one side. That may be my only option.
Product Automotive lighting Rectangle Font Line

1 - 5 of 5 Posts