Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2010 pathfinder about a month ago. If I drive it every day, things are fine. If I let it sit for a week or more, the car will unlock but not start.

So I either I have something draining my battery or the battery is very weak. Is there a way to diagnose if its a battery problem or a drain somewhere? The battery has a sticker saying its from 2021.

I could just buy a new battery but I'm thinking that might just be a waste of money as a year seem far too new for it to be weak.

thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
You have options…

Get a ‘smart charger’, plug it in, let it go through it’s charge cycle. It might take twenty four hours. I have two smart chargers that will notify me if the battery is bad.

Have the battery load tested. Several parts stores will do that for free.

Might want to check for parasitic drain. There are videos on YouTube that can tell you how to check for parasitic drain.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would probably start with a load test to determine health of the battery. If it isnt a "sealed" type battery, carefully remove the caps and make sure the water is full. Only use distilled water.
Like ultane said, look for parasitic losses too. If you have a meter, it shouldn't be too hard. Be careful that your meter may not have protection against high current during this type of testing. Do it with car off after sitting for a little bit. I had to do this on my 93 300ZX TT- found the hood security switch was draining.
If the Pathfinder sat a while before you bought it, it may just be the battery. That would be the simplest solution.

With your previous post about the spare tire hoist mechanism and rust, I hope there arent other corrosion related issues- that could make for some aggravating troubleshooting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought my 2010 pathfinder about a month ago. If I drive it every day, things are fine. If I let it sit for a week or more, the car will unlock but not start.

So I either I have something draining my battery or the battery is very weak. Is there a way to diagnose if its a battery problem or a drain somewhere? The battery has a sticker saying its from 2021.

I could just buy a new battery but I'm thinking that might just be a waste of money as a year seem far too new for it to be weak.

thanks
Any updates?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any updates?

I think it was the battery. In the end, I took it to a shop and they reported the battery as bad even though I could get it to hold a small charge. I changed it and things have been working fine. It's in the shop for some A/C work but I'm still going to test for parasitic drain when I get it back

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder SL
17 Posts
I think it was the battery. In the end, I took it to a shop and they reported the battery as bad even though I could get it to hold a small charge. I changed it and things have been working fine. It's in the shop for some A/C work but I'm still going to test for parasitic drain when I get it back
The term "smart charger" was used above. What you want to look for is the term "desulfation" somewhere in the description of the charger you want to buy. NOCO chargers at Canadian Tire or Amazon offer multiple desulfation chargers.

The house battery on our very small camping trailer was the least expensive deep cycle lead acid battery Walmart sold 10 years ago. I run the NOCO charger on it between trips and it still shows 87% efficiency on my mechanics very expensive battery tester.

These newer digital chargers that do a desulfation cycle out perform an older float/bulk charge units by far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts