Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought a 13 Pathfinder FWD Platinum with Premium package last week. I noticed a burning smell when using the heater in the higher settings --- does anybody else have this? If so, did it go away?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
You sure it's just with the heater on? There are some distinctive burning smells with most new vehicles as some of the protective coatings burn off the exhaust. It's very typical for a new car under 1000 miles to have a bit of a burning odor from time to time.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder SL 4WD
70 Posts
Yep. Several we test drove had several distinct burning smells. (Highest mileage one I remember was 80 miles.)

The one we bought now has 300 and the smells are 'almost' gone.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
It might only be noticeable with the heater on, given that the air immediately outside the vehicle is bring drawn in.

But yeah, evidently many vehicles have a cosmoline coating, which is a rust inhibitor. As many parts heat up for the very first time, you'll smell a bit of a "burning oil" type smell. If it's really strong, or if it hasn't gone by a few hundred miles, then it's worthy of concern. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You pretty much hear this happening with any new car on every new car forum. Unless it doesn't go away I wouldn't worry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts