Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When reading posts about towing, I have seen folks mention sagging and similar problems, but what about insufficient brakes? My wife has a 2018, and wants to tow her horse (smallish trailer, maybe 3500 lbs loaded). Her truck-driving barn mates tell her she won't have sufficient braking to be safe. Trailer does have brakes and the PF does have a controller added.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,692 Posts
As far as I know, trailer brakes are designed to stop the trailer, so if you have your brake controller tuned/calibrated properly, you shouldn't feel it under normal braking. It is important to tune the controller so you maximize the stopping power of the trailer's brakes without locking the wheels.
Now, trailers do not have ABS so in emergency braking situations the tow vehicle will stop faster and be slightly pushed by the trailer increasing the stopping distance. ALL vehicles will be affected and this is why transport trucks take longer to stop.

You said it, "her truck driving mates"... I've never heard a truck owner say it is ok to tow anything with anything else but a truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts are similar, but then again, I'm ignorant when it comes to hauling anything substantial. Nonetheless, I couldn't help but think, like you, that truck drivers feel "special". (though they may make the exception for the Suburban or Tahoe)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I towed a near 4000lb boat with no trailer brakes and never had a problem. I always made sure to have plenty of distance in front of me for emergencies. Would I recommend that for the average driver? Absolutely not.
But a 3500lb trailer with electric brakes should stop just fine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I towed a near 4000lb boat with no trailer brakes and never had a problem. I always made sure to have plenty of distance in front of me for emergencies.
That is still gambling, no one is infallible.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
819 Posts
Having replaced pads and rotors on the rear of our 2019 Pathfinder SV 4x4 at around 36K miles, I can say like any FWD based vehicle, there's nothing overbuilt or heavy-duty about the brakes that matches the "6000lb tow rating" of the vehicle. The pads are tiny as are the rotors.

If you're pulling something as taxing as a travel trailer any distance, you will need to rely on the trailer brakes to do a lot of the work for you, but that's how it should be regardless of the tow vehicle.

I don't think I've ever read of anyone having major brake related concerns while towing. Same with the CVT. Never heard of someone's CVT grenading while towing interestingly enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts