Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from someone via a facebook group that there was a new brake recall for all 2013 Pathfinders as of Monday night Oct. 21st. I don't see anything 'new' on nissan's service bulletin page. Does anyone know about a brake recall?

·
Registered
440 Posts
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V445000

Yet another recall, and another day in the shop. Bad news for owners that like their Pathfinders, great news for those of us filing, or thinking of filing, a lemon lawsuit.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Yet another recall, and another day in the shop. Bad news for owners that like their Pathfinders, great news for those of us filing, or thinking of filing, a lemon lawsuit.
Lewis57, do you have any info on why they are doing a brake recall? We are taking the PF to Florida next week, and I am trying to decide if I take it in for the brake recall before we go. If it is a serious safety issue, then I will bite the bullet and take it in.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Lewis57, do you have any info on why they are doing a brake recall? We are taking the PF to Florida next week, and I am trying to decide if I take it in for the brake recall before we go. If it is a serious safety issue, then I will bite the bullet and take it in.
Reprogramming the antilock braking system. Unless you are driving on slippery roads, gravel, or snow then I would say you will be OK. Unless it snows early in Florida this year.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Reprogramming the antilock braking system. Unless you are driving on slippery roads, gravel, or snow then I would say you will be OK. Unless it snows early in Florida this year.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It only applies to specific manufacturing dates and it's a simple software fix. Looks like it only impacts the first few manufacturing months of the PF. An hour in and out and it's not going to help any lemon law filers.

Report Receipt Date: OCT 17, 2013
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected: 151,695
All Products Associated with this Recall expand
Details close
2 Associated Documents expand
Manufacturer: Nissan North America, Inc.
SUMMARY:
Nissan is recalling certain model year 2013-2014 Nissan Pathfinder vehicles manufactured April 18, 2012, through September 20, 2013; model year 2013 Infiniti JX35 vehicles manufactured September 15, 2011, through January 16, 2013; and model year 2014 Infiniti QX60 vehicles manufactured January 17, 2013, through September 20, 2013. In the affected vehicles, during light braking on rough roads, the antilock brake system (ABS) brake pressure output software may lead to an increase in stopping distance.
CONSEQUENCE:
The increased stopping distance may increase the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Nissan will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the ABS, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had this done when had it at the dealer for an oil change and a few other odds and ends. It is just a reprogram, nothing to get worked up about. I think we all knew going into purchasing a first model year ride that we would face some issues. This happens across all brands with redesigns.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It only applies to specific manufacturing dates and it's a simple software fix. Looks like it only impacts the first few manufacturing months of the PF. An hour in and out and it's not going to help any lemon law filers.

SUMMARY:
Nissan is recalling certain model year 2013-2014 Nissan Pathfinder vehicles manufactured April 18, 2012, through September 20, 2013; model year 2013 Infiniti JX35 vehicles manufactured September 15, 2011, through January 16, 2013; and model year 2014 Infiniti QX60 vehicles manufactured January 17, 2013, through September 20, 2013. ).
Not to pick nits, but April 2012 through Sept 2013 is a little bit more than the first few months of manufacturing. And the vehicle owner has the option of dropping off the vehicle for the day, and picking up after work, which then counts towards total number of days in shop for repairs to meet their states lemon law requirements.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lewest57, thanks for the information about the brakes......My passenger side airbag sensor is now acting up as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found NHTSA campaign 13V069000 for the ODS(Occupant Detection System) dated March 1, 2013.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting that CVT "judder" was all over the forum long before Nissan came out with their series of software updates and tech bulletins and various fixes for the problem. Now there is a brake recall (no big deal as I see it, handle it next time I go in for an oil change) but there hasn't been a hint of any brake problems anywhere on the forum prior to the recall hitting the news.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not to pick nits, but April 2012 through Sept 2013 is a little bit more than the first few months of manufacturing.
Interestingly, there is a PDF of the letter Nissan filed with the NHTSA that contains the following two snippets:

Vehicles Potentially Involved:
Certain 2013-2014 Model Year Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti JX35/QX60 vehicles

Percentage of Vehicles Estimated to Actually Contain the Defect:
100%​

So I guess "certain" in this context is a synonym for "doubtless" not "particular"!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just saw the story about the brake recall on our local Atlanta 5:00 news. They said 157,000 vehicles are involved in the recall - Pathfinders and the Infinity model.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nissan says that the anti-lock braking system may malfunction during light braking on rough roads. This defect could "cause customers to experience stopping distances that are longer than customer's expectation for the given pedal force. This may increase a risk of crash."

Detroit News says that Nissan first learnt of the problem in May when it was informed by one of its Canadian dealers. Nissan implemented an ABS software reprogramming at the factory to fix the glitch in late September.

Never understood why the company would let people drive around with a faulty braking system for months without doing anything...

·
Registered
262 Posts
153,000 SUVs are being recalled Actually its all of them...

'13 Pathfinder has moved 74,740 vehicles between US and Canada, while JX/QX60 has moved 25,100 vehicles (US/CAN) for MY '13 for a total of 99,840 vehicles, meaning the residual 53,160 vehicles must be '14 MY.

So yea, ALL of them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had this "problem" almost as soon as I got my PF. Twice I tried stopping on a gravel covered road and it just didn't stop. Told my wife and she said I was imagining it so I discounted it. So I guess I do have a problem as up here, this will be a BIG problem in winter. I already hate Anti-locks on snow and ice and without getting this fix...

So I have gone from no issues to 3 small issues (this is small if it is fixed right away before winter) - I also have a sometimes malfunctioning air bag light and a popping noise sometimes when the rear door opens.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Interesting that CVT "judder" was all over the forum long before Nissan came out with their series of software updates and tech bulletins and various fixes for the problem. Now there is a brake recall (no big deal as I see it, handle it next time I go in for an oil change) but there hasn't been a hint of any brake problems anywhere on the forum prior to the recall hitting the news.
Actually last month I was stopping on a semi flooded section of road during a heavy downpour, and the Pathfinder seemed to lose it for a few seconds. Was it the ABS? Can't say for sure, but it was quite unexpected.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not to pick nits, but April 2012 through Sept 2013 is a little bit more than the first few months of manufacturing. And the vehicle owner has the option of dropping off the vehicle for the day, and picking up after work, which then counts towards total number of days in shop for repairs to meet their states lemon law requirements.
Unless your state is different, lemon laws area specific. You bring to the attention of the company a specific problem and they have a timeframe to fix that problem. I've never heard of a state allowing you to lump problems together since almost every first model year car has multiple recall issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts