Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Pathfinder
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm new here and needs some help. My 2017 PF has been giving me brake issue. So I replaced rotors and pads but my right front keeps sounding like it's grinding. First changed pads and it came back then changed rotors don't here it first few days then comes back like pads are gone and sounds like it's grinding. Any body have any ideas why?

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I can think of 3 possible causes:
  • Bad wheel bearing. Tire slightly sits on an angle causing drag. Lift the wheel and check for play/grinding.
  • Bent rotor backplate. Check the clearance and bend it back if needed.
  • Bent pad shims. Did you replace these?

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Pathfinder
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for feedback. I did change them, rotors are new. It was doing with other rotors that were on there. Changed everything. I will check plate tomorrow and bearings

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check if the caliper is contacting the wheel. Sometimes with new thick pads the caliper is extended out so far it hits the inside diameter of the wheel. I have had to grind a small amount off new calipers a couple times, not in the cylinder area. Or the caliper slide mounts could be loose, worn or bent. Aftermarket, bent or incorrect size wheels can cause this too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My money is on rotor backing plates rubbing, especially since work was just done in that area. Second bet is on hardware rubbing on the rotor, but they are two very different sounds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
could it be the low thickness warning claw? assuming ours has them since i have not looked at the Pathfinder brakes yet
I know that the claw position was bent down too low once on another car,and I bent it back but that usually sounds like a screaching noise not grinding but maybe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts