Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2014 Pathfinder SL with a factory tow hitch installed. This year we upgraded our boat from a Bayliner Capri 1750 to a Bayliner VR6. Going from a single axle trailer with no brakes to a double axle trailer with surge brakes. Also a 17.5 foot boat to a 22' foot boat.

For towing we are just under capacity so we tow with just me in the car and on flat highway to and from our marina a few times a year. The boat tows fine but we are getting rear end sag pretty bad with the new boat. I have been researching the options available through the internet and this forum. I want to get some assistance for my pathfinder before a trip that we take annually. We take one trip a year about 200 miles one way on flat terrain to a local lake.

I have ordered a set of Air bags: Suspension Air Bags
I am also looking at upgraded rear springs to put on when I install the air bags(rear shocks upgraded to KYB in 2018): Rear Springs

I am looking for recommendations for a weight distribution hitch that with work with a boat trailer single tongue and surge brakes. All I am finding here is the travel trailer recommendations.

Any help is appreciated

Regards,
Carter

·
Registered
140 Posts
WDH is typically not recommended on boat trailers, but they are used occasionally. You would need an adapter such as this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/RP58393.html

You'll also want to check with the trailer manufacturer to determine if using it will void your trailer warranty, or cause any structural problems.
It's likely you would need to disconnect the spring bars in order to back the trailer down the ramp.

I would try the airbags first and see how it looks. That looks like a big boat for the Pathfinder, and I'm hoping you have AWD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies! I think that is why I am finding so little on them they are not used as much for boat trailers. To be honest the truck does great towing it I just don't like the rear end sag. I am not getting any sway at highway speeds up to 75 mph and yes I have the AWD model. The trailer stops much better than my old one due the surge brakes, the old one would push the truck quite a bit.

I have a utility trailer I use to tow around town as well so I have put my pathfinder through the paces. It has 120k miles and has been fine to hauling so far. I don't do it often or far but I do push the weight up occasionally.

I think I am going to bite the bullet on some Dobinsons rear springs as well with the air bags and just do it all at once.

Thanks again,
Carter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts