Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there really isn't a real aftermarket yet for hid housing replacement, what is a good halogen replacement bulbs for headlights?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering the silverstar zxe for both low beam and fog but maybe I should get the xtravision, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I was considering the silverstar zxe for both low beam and fog but maybe I should get the xtravision, thanks
The Silverstars are pretty much bunk. Because they filter the light (using a blue tint), the bulbs need to be made brighter to compensate, and that results in extremely short service life and filtered spectrum. So, while you do get blue-tinted light, which to some is desirable (whether that's for vanity or it's simply more pleasing to the eye), you pay for it in terms of service life. What you don't actually get is better (more) light output.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the silverstar Ultras in mine and the light output is much brighter. I had the same bulbs in my Mazda for 2 years and switched to HID. Once I got my new Pathfinder and knowing it has the same type bulb, I put them in it. They say the bulbs last only a year but that all depends on how much you use it. 2 1/2 years and the same bulbs are still good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cwa107 - did you put the sylvania in your fog lights too? How do we get to the fog light housing to change out the bulb. Looking to put the xtravision bulbs in all 4

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cwa107 - did you put the sylvania in your fog lights too? How do we get to the fog light housing to change out the bulb. Looking to put the xtravision bulbs in all 4
The easiest way in my opinion is to put it up on the ramp and get to them from underneath. Quite easy from underneath. Somebody on this forum posted instructions for installing fog lights and it's the same idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Silverstars are pretty much bunk. Because they filter the light (using a blue tint), the bulbs need to be made brighter to compensate, and that results in extremely short service life and filtered spectrum. So, while you do get blue-tinted light, which to some is desirable (whether that's for vanity or it's simply more pleasing to the eye), you pay for it in terms of service life. What is you don't actually get is better (more) light output.
This is exactly what my good old General Electric light meter confirms. I put Silver Stars in my G35 a few years ago and the readings did not change from the originals. I left them in as they were a closer color match for the HID low beams but a higher color temperature does not mean a brighter light.
They also produced an annoying glare from reflective highway signs.
I would not buy them again.

Harvey

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was driving last night in blowing rain and fog and was shocked at the lack of brightness and down the road view with the stock lights. Looks like I will go this route as well.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I was driving last night in blowing rain and fog and was shocked at the lack of brightness and down the road view with the stock lights. Looks like I will go this route as well.
I agree, the headlights leave a lot to be desired in this car. The reflectors aren't undersized by any means, but they're just not focused right. This is one area where my Pilot really did better than this PF.

When the PF has its mid-cycle refresh, I'm hopeful they'll get this sorted out, or make HIDs standard across the line.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Unless you have a HID equipped car now I fail to see how the PF headlamps could be considered poor. Sure, there are better headlamps out there but the PF is leaps and bounds better than most other SUVs and pretty much any non-HID minivan IMHO. I do not feel that I am overdriving the lights as I was in my Caravan(s) YMMV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All - does anyone have a guide online for replacing the headlight bulbs in a 2014 PF SL? I agree that getting to the fogs is from underneath. I've been searching online but haven't found anything to get to the headlight lamps

thx
pcfd64

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Unless you have a HID equipped car now I fail to see how the PF headlamps could be considered poor. Sure, there are better headlamps out there but the PF is leaps and bounds better than most other SUVs and pretty much any non-HID minivan IMHO. I do not feel that I am overdriving the lights as I was in my Caravan(s) YMMV
I think it just comes down to what you are use to.

Even JX owners complain their xenons aren't as bright as their other cars with xenons.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Hello All - does anyone have a guide online for replacing the headlight bulbs in a 2014 PF SL? I agree that getting to the fogs is from underneath. I've been searching online but haven't found anything to get to the headlight lamps

thx
pcfd64
Take a look under the hood, they're very accessible and straightforward. A guide would look like this - open the hood, at the back of the headlight housings, disconnect the electrical connector rotate the bulb counterclockwise and pull it from the housing. Installation is the reverse of the removal - and be sure not to touch the bulb element.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts