Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the forum that we have given a lot of attention to potential MPG but have not seen a good discussion on the best Gas Brands that have resulted in best MPG for our Pathfinders. Typically the higher the detergent/additive levels in gas over and above EPA requirements will result in higher MPG. There is a lot of information out there regarding top tier fuel brands and how they exceed EPA requirements which is certainly helpful. BTW I have tried doing a search on what the actual EPA detergent requirement is and have had no luck in getting an actual number. It seems that everyone dances around actually calling out what that is in terms of number of milligrams found per 100 Milliliters. Anybody know what it is?:confused:

I have tried Shell, BP, Giant Gas, Texaco, and Costco Kirkland. Surprisingly I have seen the best MPG with the Kirkland brand gas found at my local Costco which claims to have 5 times the EPA requirement. This is really good since their gas is usually 10-15 cents cheaper per gallon than other area gas stations. This is the Gas that I used on my best highway road trip where I pulled out 27MPG with cruise control set at 71 over 400 miles including a couple of rest stops. I am also around 18.7 in city with my extreme MPG killing

Based on your own experiences which brands are working best for you?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I noticed on the forum that we have given a lot of attention to potential MPG but have not seen a good discussion on the best Gas Brands that have resulted in best MPG for our Pathfinders. Typically the higher the detergent/additive levels in gas over and above EPA requirements will result in higher MPG. There is a lot of information out there regarding top tier fuel brands and how they exceed EPA requirements which is certainly helpful. BTW I have tried doing a search on what the actual EPA detergent requirement is and have had no luck in getting an actual number. It seems that everyone dances around actually calling out what that is in terms of number of milligrams found per 100 Milliliters. Anybody know what it is?:confused:

I have tried Shell, BP, Giant Gas, Texaco, and Costco Kirkland. Surprisingly I have seen the best MPG with the Kirkland brand gas found at my local Costco which claims to have 5 times the EPA requirement. This is really good since their gas is usually 10-15 cents cheaper per gallon than other area gas stations. This is the Gas that I used on my best highway road trip where I pulled out 27MPG with cruise control set at 71 over 400 miles including a couple of rest stops. I am also around 18.7 in city with my extreme MPG killing

Based on your own experiences which brands are working best for you?
This is a good topic. My performance is all over the place. And so is my computer as to what it expects my mileage to be at the beginning of each fill up.

My MPG has actually gotten worse. I'm at 6,500 miles. The worst gas for me is definitely any ethanol / e85 gas.

I'll try to use Costco more and see what that does.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My experience with gas in general is that is varies from station to station, not so much on brand name. Any gas with ethanol added is going to get less MPG, E85 would be the worst. I use to do just BP because I had rewards credit card through them, but their rewards got kinda cheesy, so I changed cards which got better rewards and allowed me to buy gas from any brand. It also think the same gas trucks in many instances unload the same gas at Exxon as they do 7 eleven down the street. Buying cheap gas does not always mean you are getting inferior gasoline. Oil company marketing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are currently the brands of Gas rated "Top Tier" for having highest detergent value
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers: Chevron is the supplier for Costco Brand so good news for Cheap Costco Gas!

USA Canada
76 Stations
Chevron Canada
Aloha Petroleum Esso
Chevron
Petro-Canada
Conoco
Shell Canada
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I use either Shell or Chevron.

The less ethanol the better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is from Costco's website. They, like many gas stations, buy from whatever brand is cheapest and meets their requirements.

Q: Where does Costco get its gas?
A: Costco buys fuel from major refineries and distributors in each area. All Costco gasoline is fully guaranteed, just like the merchandise we sell inside the warehouse.
Q: How does Costco assure their gasoline is high quality?
A: Since gasoline formulations are specified by government standards, base gasoline is a fungible commodity with little difference between brands.

There are two aspects of fuel quality that depend on the gasoline brand and the individual retailer: detergent additives and station maintenance.

Detergent additives
Since 1995, Federal regulations mandate that all gasoline contain an EPA-approved detergent additive. These additives are designed to minimize engine deposits that can affect vehicle performance and emissions. The various proprietary detergent additive formulations are the main difference between brands of gasoline. All Costco gasoline, both regular and premium unleaded, contains detergent additives.

Station Maintenance
Good station operation and maintenance assures the fuel is filtered, and that no contaminants, such as sediment and water, find their way into our members' vehicles. Costco gas stations are well-maintained by our capable attendants so that only clean gasoline goes into your car.
Costco uses fuel filters to catch any particles or debris larger than 10 microns in diameter. For comparison, the average human hair is seventy microns thick.
Our attendants check the nozzle flow rate frequently to assure that our filters are fresh. When the flow rate falls below 8 gallons per minute, we change the filter.
Costco uses ethanol-compatible filters designed to catch sediment, water, or phase-separated ethanol and water mixtures.
Costco's electronic sensors continuously monitor our underground storage tanks for water.
We physically sample our tanks at least weekly to confirm there is no contamination by both visual inspection and chemical detection.

-----
Q: Why does Costco gasoline contain ethanol?
A: The federal Energy Policy Act of 2005 established the Renewable Fuels Standard, which required that a certain amount of ethanol be used in the nations' fuel supply. The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 increased this amount. Costco gasoline complies with this law, and if our fuel contains ethanol a pump decal will advise you of that fact.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Officialcorporate confirmation: Costco kirkland clean power gas is best on the market

To All,

I received a formal email response from Costco Corporate regarding my inquiry on the gas quality sold at their pumps which I have found has given me the best MPG of any brand out there I have tried. :D The response below confirms my observation that this gas is high quality and based on response, the gas sold at the pumps is without questions among the best, if not the best you can buy for your car.

Here is a summary of takeaways from response and website:

1- Costco like any other Gas company sources their gas from different suppliers. The difference among brands are the additives added and quality procedures used to ensure clean, fresh, and filtered gas delivered at pumps. Costco gas station maintenance procedures are second to none.

2- Costco pumps labeled with "Kirkland Clean Power" use more additives and detergents than any other brand of Gasoline on the US Market. at 400 parts per million additive ratio, Only Shell Gasoline has nearly as much detergents from Regular to Premium fuel.:cool:

3- KS Clean Power Gas exceeds top tier Gas requirements 2x over and above the 3x additive requirement over EPA standard.

Normally I take claims with a grain a salt. However the claims are based on actual research and testing publicly available. In addition I am a long time user of the Kirkland brand products and know that they typically are an unbelievable high quality for a low price. Their Organic Olive Oil for example was rated among the top 3 in the world by international competition. Once the Top Tier Gas rating is officially filed more will know about this. Would love to hear what others have experienced using this Gas or give it a try and see how it goes for you. Looks like KS Clean Power will be my first choice from now on!

Here is the complete response from corporate.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Clean Power Questions <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry about Kirkland Signature Clean Power gasoline. Our Clean Power additive is made by one of the leading additive manufacturers in the U.S. Our formula is independently registered with the EPA and is slightly under 400 parts per million treat rate. The EPA standard is performance based, i.e., they require only the amount needed to keep engines at a certain level of cleanliness. Costco's Kirkland Signature Clean Power detergent "5x" claim is performance-based, not just a physical quantity measure.

We conducted extensive engine testing at a nationally-recognized lab, and found that more detergents are indeed better for the long-term health of your car. Accordingly, we developed our proprietary KS Clean Power additive and are installing it at all Costco gas stations. We are additizing both regular and premium fuel to approximately five times the government requirement. Clean Power not only keeps intake valves and fuel injectors clean, it will also clean up any existing deposits.

Since 1995, all gasoline in the U.S. is required by the federal government to have an EPA-approved detergent additive. All Costco gas has always had detergent additives per law. As engine designs continually improve and become more sophisticated, many automakers believe that more detergent is required to keep their engines free of deposits and running their best. GM, Honda, Toyota, Audi, VW, and BMW endorse a voluntary higher level of detergent called Top Tier. Here's their website: Top Tier Gasoline
Top Tier requires an additive must contain about "3x" the EPA detergent requirement and that it be available in all a company's fuel nation-wide. Costco does not yet have Clean Power installed at all of our U.S. gas stations. We plan to do so as fast as we can, at which time we will investigate whether to seek the official "Top Tier" designation.

Most detergent additives use similar ingredients, and have the same effect in keeping your engine clean. As I said above, Costco adds five times the government minimum requirement for detergent additive, which provided the maximum cleaning impact during our engine testing. The only brand that uses nearly as much additive as Costco is Shell's V-power, which is available in their premium fuel only. (V is the Roman numeral for 5, which stands for five times the government requirement).

Costco gas station maintenance procedures are second to none. We filter all our fuel for sediment as small as ten microns, which is invisible to the eye. We also filter for trace water and water/ethanol mixtures (called phase separation). We change the filters frequently to keep our nozzle flow rates high and assure clean fuel for our members. We continuously monitor our storage tanks for water, and physically sample each tank weekly. Our high volume sales assure our gasoline is always fresh.

I hope I have been able to help answer your questions. Costco's mission is to continually provide our members with quality goods and services at the lowest possible prices, gasoline included.

Sincerely,

Mandi Jackson

Costco Wholesale | 999 Lake Drive | Issaquah, WA | 98027
Welcome to Costco Wholesale : Clean Power

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I like this topic but being from canada there is only a small number of gas stations compared to you guys in the U.S. One thing I find with costco gas is that its cheaper for premium gas which is the price of regular. You do end up saving a bit on the fill up but adds up if you go there religiously. The only crappy part is the line up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like this topic but being from canada there is only a small number of gas stations compared to you guys in the U.S. One thing I find with costco gas is that its cheaper for premium gas which is the price of regular. You do end up saving a bit on the fill up but adds up if you go there religiously. The only crappy part is the line up.
Why would you fill up with premium? The PF doesn't require it and it is a waste of time and money to use premium when the Vehicle doesn't require it.

There is only one exception, and that is in Canada Shell Premium has no ethanol so you can squeeze a little more performance and mileage with that gas, but it doesn't equate to the price of premium. All other premium gas in Canada has ethanol.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Even Shell regular only has 5% ethanol I believe. Less ethanol vs the competition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts