Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 14’ platinum pathfinder we’ve had the battery tested multiple times and has been fine every time but every now and then when we try and start it doesn’t turn over , then we connect a little jumper and turns over instantly then works for a few days before not again . Any ideas??

·
Registered
582 Posts
Classic symptom of a bad connection at the battery. Especially if your dome lights don't dim while it's doing this. The connection could look good, but not be good enough.

If you grab the cables near the posts and try moving them around by hand, they shouldn't move at all. Even then, I'd take them off, clean the post, and the inside of the connector that sits on the post with a wire brush or something.

The jump start fires enough power through the issue most of the time, or slightly impacts the connection enough to appear to be fixed.

I cleaned the mess off of a customers battery once, and it got towed back in. Cleaned them again, got towed back in. Third time I got the wire brush on it. I knew what the issue was each time by measuring the voltage between the battery post, and the connector itself. There should be 0v there, and very very little during cranking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Classic symptom of a bad connection at the battery. Especially if your dome lights don't dim while it's doing this. The connection could look good, but not be good enough.

If you grab the cables near the posts and try moving them around by hand, they shouldn't move at all. Even then, I'd take them off, clean the post, and the inside of the connector that sits on the post with a wire brush or something.

The jump start fires enough power through the issue most of the time, or slightly impacts the connection enough to appear to be fixed.

I cleaned the mess off of a customers battery once, and it got towed back in. Cleaned them again, got towed back in. Third time I got the wire brush on it. I knew what the issue was each time by measuring the voltage between the battery post, and the connector itself. There should be 0v there, and very very little during cranking.
Just got from vacation tried starting the car and it started with slight hesitation then I cleaned post and connection with wire brush like you said and lubed up the post with a kit I bought then the **** thing didn’t start again lol put the halo jump start on it fired right up , maybe connection to starter?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did they check the starter connections?
The starter coil not picking up ?
Battery voltage is a little low sometimes ? Halo pack boosts voltage just enough ?
Just guessing

·
Registered
193 Posts
Check some of the grounding wires, make sure they are clean & tight. Hot weather here the battery takes a beating. Wouldn't hurt to have them run a load test at the auto parts store

1 - 5 of 5 Posts