Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to disable the auto braking when backing up a camper with the new 2022? I disabled the rear sonar, the rear cross traffic alert, and motion sensing but it still slams on the brakes when backing up. Seems like it is sensing the propane tank or something and I can back up more than a couple feet without the PF slamming on the brakes automatically and all kinds of beeping going on. I don’t have my trailer brake controller hooked up yet but that shouldn’t matter bc not everyone will use a brake controller.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Did you try changing the drive mode to the Tow option before backing up to the trailer see if that helps?
Yep, had it in tow mode before trying to disable sensors. I’m really surprised it doesn’t do what’s needed automatically while in tow mode.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone know how to disable the auto braking when backing up a camper with the new 2022? I disabled the rear sonar, the rear cross traffic alert, and motion sensing but it still slams on the brakes when backing up. Seems like it is sensing the propane tank or something and I can back up more than a couple feet without the PF slamming on the brakes automatically and all kinds of beeping going on. I don’t have my trailer brake controller hooked up yet but that shouldn’t matter bc not everyone will use a brake controller.
I just ran into this situation today when backing up the seadoo trailer. The setting in my vehicle, with platinum trim, was under Emergency Assist -> Rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ran into this situation today when backing up the seadoo trailer. The setting in my vehicle, with platinum trim, was under Emergency Assist -> Rear.
That did the trick, thank you! It seems like this has to be turned off each time you start the vehicle. I’m surprised this isn’t called out in the towing section of the manual, or better yet, automatically set in tow mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can confirm this also happens when using a bike rack on the tow hitch. Super annoying. Weirdly it seems like it would keep the setting for a few trips and then forget it, rather than forget it right away. Agreed that Tow mode should automatically turn it off and also that setting should just stick!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, glad that this wasn't the case on my wife's '18. She's just learning to tow her horse trailer, and this would have been terrible. So, it's apparently the distance the "towee" is behind the vehicle, right? The bike rack must be really close behind.Besides, hers doesn't have the braking, just a warning beep.
btw, since that week of practice at a friend's place, she just swapped for a newer, lighter trailer, so we're really looking forward to a good experience. 1350 lbs vs 2250 lbs (before her 1000 lb horse). Should be a little less strain.
It also has surge brakes rather than electric which I find interesting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So glad I saw this thread. Last weekend I ran into this problem while backing my trailer into a campsite. Breaks would lock-up, mostly when I was turning while backing. I suspect it causes the corner of the trailer to appear closer to the rear sensor on one side. Thanks for posting this work-around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can confirm this also happens when using a bike rack on the tow hitch. Super annoying. Weirdly it seems like it would keep the setting for a few trips and then forget it, rather than forget it right away. Agreed that Tow mode should automatically turn it off and also that setting should just stick!
I agree with what you are saying about it remembering the setting for disable of the auto braking when backing the trailer. Backed up my boat trailer with the braking disabled - the next morning it was flashing again on the dash even though I wasn't towing anything. Shut the vehicle off and back on and it was gone. A lot of annoying features with the 2022.

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder SL 4WD
28 Posts
This needs fixed!! I should not have to dive down into the menus every time I have a bike rack on to disable this feature. It should either hold the last setting or at minimum be turned off in tow mode. Does Nissan have any sort of community feedback process where we are able to submit suggestions like this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It does need fixed. Rear auto brake should be disabled in tow mode. Drives me nuts you can't open the door and back up either. Car shifts to park when you try to back up with the door open. They could disable this in tow mode too. I would also like to know too if Nissan has any communication channels to report problems/annoyances without having to go through the dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It does need fixed. Rear auto brake should be disabled in tow mode. Drives me nuts you can't open the door and back up either. Car shifts to park when you try to back up with the door open. They could disable this in tow mode too. I would also like to know too if Nissan has any communication channels to report problems/annoyances without having to go through the dealer.
Next time try to back up with your seat belt fastened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This needs fixed!! I should not have to dive down into the menus every time I have a bike rack on to disable this feature. It should either hold the last setting or at minimum be turned off in tow mode. Does Nissan have any sort of community feedback process where we are able to submit suggestions like this?
I was hoping by now there would be some sort of software update to fix this. In my opinion it’s a safety hazard to have to disable that feature every time you start the vehicle when towing or with a bike rack. So easy to forget and what if you need to back up quickly to get out of the way of someone that doesn’t see you in a parking lot, or possibly in an intersection…you have to put it in park and scroll through 3 levels to disable it just to back up. All other options that you toggle off stay off, this is more than annoying, it’s a dumb setup that can be dangerous.

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder SV
1 Posts
Couldn't agree more, like what the hell didn't anyone at the factory back a trailer and test this?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts