Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the Austin, Texas area AWD Pathfinders are few and far between. The only 2013 AWD SL I could find did not include the tow package (although it had all the other essentials I was looking for).

The dealer's parts and service department quoted me about $1360 parts and labor to put the factory hitch in. I asked the salesman if he could get them to do better and he got them down to $990 (be still my beating heart).

I have looked at the Nissan installation instructions for the hitch, wiring harness and finisher.

The hitch is straightforward: move stuff out of the way (spare tire, evap canister, tailpipe) and bolt the hitch in.

The harness is a little more involved but not really challenging: remove the storage box behind the third row seat, remove some other pieces, move some relays (installing the new relay for the trailer wiring), plug in the harness and route to the receptacle.

The "finisher" is the scary part. Any installation instructions that include a sawzall as a required tool gets my attention.

So, I am hesitant to take this on. I may just get an aftermarket hitch for $150, buy the Nissan wiring harness and relay and call it good.

The annoying thing is that the MSRP on the hitch option is $400.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Frankly I was just go to Uhaul or another aftermaket place and have them install one for around $400-$500. Saves you the hassle and about $500. I know allot of aftermarket places have one already to fit 2013 Path. Only difference would be it would not come out the center of your bumper. They would cut a small notch from the bottom of the bumper underneath where you could nor see it and the receiver would come from below your bumper not through it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used the etrailer products before. My son put an etrailer hitch on his 2012 Subaru Forester. The etrailer hitch for the Pathfinder is a simple installation and will probably be the way I will go. I'll probably get the factory wiring harness and relay.

I took one last shot at getting the dealer to do me a deal on the factory hitch. Waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've used the etrailer products before. My son put an etrailer hitch on his 2012 Subaru Forester. The etrailer hitch for the Pathfinder is a simple installation and will probably be the way I will go. I'll probably get the factory wiring harness and relay.

I took one last shot at getting the dealer to do me a deal on the factory hitch. Waiting to hear back.
Hi Doug
I have the same issue and was planning to put on a "curt" hitch, cost is 150 but I need the wiring? which no one sells except nissan and yes it looks complex what did you end up doing?

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Please note, this thread has been moved to the "How To" section.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you're leasing a new PF and do this, cutting the little piece of the bumper out to get the hitch in their might be an issue. But if done clean enough it's possible they might over look it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trying to wrap my head around where you connect the trailer wires under the bumper. I have read the nissan install instructions. Have you guys just left the female plug behind/under the bumper. Basically beyond step 28 on the harness install instructions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update

I finally decided that my mom raised a fat boy, not a fool, and refuse to pay roughly $1k for what is a $200 factory option. So, I will be getting an aftermarket hitch installed in the next week or so. I report back on cosmetics, function and price after it is installed.

thx

·
Registered
58 Posts
I finally decided that my mom raised a fat boy, not a fool, and refuse to pay roughly $1k for what is a $200 factory option. So, I will be getting an aftermarket hitch installed in the next week or so. I report back on cosmetics, function and price after it is installed.

thx
I purchased everything for less than $400 and will be installing it myself. I was looking to go the aftermarket route but rather go with OEM look and quality for that price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bought the Curt hitch from autoanything.com for $137 with free shipping. Should be here next week. Install looks simple, and I'm not planning on wiring any electrical. Just planning on using it for a bike rack. I'll let y'all know how the install goes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Install was nice and easy. I've installed many receivers (used to be a mechanic at a trailer shop) and access for this is a piece of cake. I'd say that if your mechanical skill level is at a 3 out of 10 or better, you can handle putting it on yourself. Looks clean. $137 shipped--I'm happy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wiring help...

Hi everyone, has anyone attempted installing the oem wiring yet, would love some advice before mustering up the courage to do it...

Thnx in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hitch

My dealer in Atlanta installed for $400. The PF I wanted didn't have it. Looks & function just like factory installed. probably did it close to dealer cost.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts