Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched a read a few postings on this subject. But most our referring to older PF

I have a 2013 Pathfinder Platinum 4WD

I am looking at a 2013 Minilite 23ft Travel Trailer with an unloaded weight of 3670#'s it will more than likely come in about 4200-4400# loaded and total weight of trailer and vehicle and all passengers/gear should come in about 9000-9200# total which is a high side guess. I am having a weight distribution hitch and sway control installed on the unit as well.

Anyone out there do anything along these lines and what have been your experiences?

I dont plan on assaulting the Rocky Mountains or anything crazy and I would love to hear anyones feedback.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Waiting to hear some response's on this too. Over the past couple days I've been researching travel trailers as well around the same size as anything smaller just doesn't spark the interest i'm looking for (such as a pop up trailer.) But I've been running into the same road block as you with finding older Pathfinder's or a completely different vehicle. Hopefully someone here can help clearify this as the commercial (even though I know it could be misleading and to get sales) suggest this vehicle will have no problem pulling a 26'+ Airstream with 4 passengers and a dog. lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have searched a read a few postings on this subject. But most our referring to older PF

I have a 2013 Pathfinder Platinum 4WD

I am looking at a 2013 Minilite 23ft Travel Trailer with an unloaded weight of 3670#'s it will more than likely come in about 4200-4400# loaded and total weight of trailer and vehicle and all passengers/gear should come in about 9000-9200# total which is a high side guess. I am having a weight distribution hitch and sway control installed on the unit as well.

Anyone out there do anything along these lines and what have been your experiences?

I dont plan on assaulting the Rocky Mountains or anything crazy and I would love to hear anyones feedback.
Hi, I just bought a Micro-Lite 23LB which is rated at 3760 lbs. I haven't pulled it yet. I have negotiated free storage for the winter :)
I'm second guessing my choice and the ability of the Pathy to pull this TT.
SulionePF, have you made your purchase and how well those it pull?

Thanks

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,773 Posts
9000 -9200 lbs. would be WAY over the limit. The '13 and '14 Pathfinders are only rated for 5000 lbs. You can probably get away with 6000 lbs, but that would be pushing it.

Read through this informative thread. It will address a lot of the concerns you may have.

Jerico, I believe you won't have any issues towing your MicroLite (a hybrid trailer, right?) as long as you don't overload it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
9000 -9200 lbs. would be WAY over the limit. The '13 and '14 Pathfinders are only rated for 5000 lbs. You can probably get away with 6000 lbs, but that would be pushing it.

Read through this informative thread. It will address a lot of the concerns you may have.

Jerico, I believe you won't have any issues towing your MicroLite (a hybrid trailer, right?) as long as you don't overload it.
He said 9000-9200 includes the weight of the pathfinder...it is probably under the limit as 5000lbs limit is for trailer and any extra passengers and weight in the pathfinder NOTincluding the pathfinder

·
Registered
76 Posts
He said 9000-9200 includes the weight of the pathfinder...it is probably under the limit as 5000lbs limit is for trailer and any extra passengers and weight in the pathfinder NOTincluding the pathfinder
Yup, my guess is the 9000 number is what is called the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). Which I'm not sure how to get since the sticker on the door doesn't give that number. I would think it's the GVWR + Towing capacity. So going by memory mine is 5900lbs + 5000lbs = 10900lbs

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,773 Posts
Yup, my guess is the 9000 number is what is called the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). Which I'm not sure how to get since the sticker on the door doesn't give that number. I would think it's the GVWR + Towing capacity. So going by memory mine is 5900lbs + 5000lbs = 10900lbs
The calculation formula is located on page 9-20 of the 2013 Pathfinder Owner's Manual in the "Towing a Trailer" section. Not sure if it's the same page in the 2014 manual.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Go to a truck stop and put everything on a scale.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tow a Rockwood Roo 183 which is about 300lbs lighter than the 23ft MiniLites. Make sure you go by the ship weight that's on the trailer itself (usually yellow sticker on the door) and not the product brochure. When calculating whether your within the 5000lbs capacity, take into account the weight of all passengers plus all cargo.

That being said, if I were you I wouldn't buy anything heavier than what you're looking at. Your Pathfinder should be able to tow it easily ... make sure you get a good weight distribution (I have the Equal-i-zer).

I posted about my experience on this thread: http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum...ing-2008-rockwood-roo-183-travel-trailer.html

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder SL 4WD
70 Posts
I also tow a trailer at max 2013 capacity. I have about 1250 miles towing (out of about 16000 total PF miles). I will be putting another 500 towing miles on in the next two weeks. So far no problems. I measure tongue weight every time with a sherline tongue scale since I am at max weight. I reposition stuff as necessary. You can find my inputs on brake controller installation, etc by searching for 'justchecking'.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks all for your feedback. I'll be able to sleep a little better now!
Unfortunately for me I bought a travel trailer just before winter and left it at the dealer to pick-up next year. So I have no clue how it will pull.
I now have to look at a break controller and WDH. Any recommendations?
Justchecking, what is your tongue weight? How do you balance it with the scale (move things in the back of the trailer)? and can you post the specs of your trailer?

Cheers

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder SL 4WD
70 Posts
I am going out tomorrow and I was thinking of stopping at a CAT scale to get final accurate answers. Not sure I'll make it so...

My trailer weighs about 4500 empty. I estimate it weighs about 4800 to 4900 ready to go hunting. I put everything heavy in the back and fluffy things (pillows, sleeping bags, etc) in the front. Then I add fresh water to my holding tank to get about 500 LB tongue weight. On the return trip the holding tank is usually empty so I put heavy stuff in the front. I use a sherline hitch scale to measure the tongue weight. I have done it with a bathroom scale before, but I want to measure at the camp ground also. Only takes a couple of minutes.

My WDH is an equalizer 10000 LB model I think. It works pretty good. I filed the edges of the L brackets round to cut down on the screech. (If you get one you'll know what I mean.) I use a prodigy P3 which has always worked good for me, but it is the only one I have had that is proportional, inertial.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Picked up my Micro Lite 23LB yesterday. Picked it up in Montreal and drove it back to Ottawa. I have an Anderson Weight Distribution hitch witch really seemed to work very good as I did notice the trailer in the back, It was never pushing me around or swaying at all. The dry weight is 3798lbs. Adding 2 propane tanks, hitch and a battery on the tongue really pushed the max tongue weight. I didn't measure it but there was a good inch and a half difference between the front wheel well and the back. That being said the only problem I saw with the overall setup is the gas mileage. It really sucks!! I was in the 20s. I can't really say how much since I reset it a couple of times as I could believe what I was seing. I'm guessing in a hilly area I would average about 300-350Km / tank. The RPM goes up to 3000 on moderate hills and climbs to 4000 on the bigger ones.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can someone do me a quick favor?
Can you mesure the distance from ground to wheel well front and back?
Mine is lower in the back by 1" (32 rear and 33 front)!? I got the 20" wheels.

THanks

Jerico

1 - 15 of 15 Posts