Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone besides me having trouble with a piece of thin, black rubber molding coming loose under the roof rack - right by the front windshield? I noticed last month that the molding over the passenger side was loose and about a foot of it was flapping in the wind by the sunroof. I had it fixed, and just noticed that the same piece of molding on the driver's side is now loose.

It appears that piece of molding is helping to make the roof rack water proof, and it doesn't bode well that both pieces are already loose with 7000 miles on the car.

Anyone else have the same problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had the same problem on the passenger side after only owning the car for a week. Tucked it back in a couple of times, but it kept coming back out. The last time, I wedged it pretty tightly under the plastic trim that the roof rack attaches to. Hasn't come out since then (been almost a month since), but I'm pretty sure that's not where it is supposed to be. Was planning to ask the service department about it when I take it in for the first oil change (and other issues, like shudder, misaligned driver-side camera in around view monitor, etc. -- lots of problems for a brand new car).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem, took back to dealer and they replaced the entire plastic piece that runs back along the roof. They told me the seals are part of the plastic piece.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same here... so many problems. Is it easy for them to fix the camera? I'm worried to complain about anything as in the past things end up worse than they started.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick update. Took my PF to the dealer today to have the molding replaced - had a 3:00 appt. When I got there, my service advisor told me that due to having to repair so many pathfinders with loose molding, they were out of the parts. They had to order it. It is not just the black rubber molding that has to be replaced - pp is correct - they have to replace the whole plastic piece.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed the loose molding issue myself on my 14 PF, not only on the top but the molding under the left and right sides, plus the molding in the very front below the bumper all loose. I've only owned the truck for 2 weeks now so I'll be addressing during first oil change, along with driver side camera.

Another thing I've noticed recently is that the truck stays in high-rev when slowing down and coming to a stop. This morning I notice it staying at high-rev when going down a hill at low speed. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've noticed the loose molding issue myself on my 14 PF, not only on the top but the molding under the left and right sides, plus the molding in the very front below the bumper all loose. I've only owned the truck for 2 weeks now so I'll be addressing during first oil change, along with driver side camera.

Another thing I've noticed recently is that the truck stays in high-rev when slowing down and coming to a stop. This morning I notice it staying at high-rev when going down a hill at low speed. Should I be concerned?
At this point, I would be concerned with everything that your PF is doing - I have had so many things break on mine. The only thing you can really do is make it known to your service dept and get it on the record. They will probably not be able to find anything wrong and tell you your PF is working normally :(

Just a little unsolicited advice. If you think you may be forced to file the lemon law in the future, have each piece of loose molding fixed separately. That way, you will have several days in the shop that will count towards your lemon law requirement. I did the same as you - saved up everything that was wrong and rolled into one visit. By doing it that way, I only got 1 day in the shop, when I could have had many more days if I had taken my PF in multiple times. Yes, that is a pain, but could pay off in the future.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I too have the same problem... but when took it in they just pushed it back under the plastic piece???
Pull it back out, and make more of the piece visable. When I noticed my first loose piece, there was at least a foot of rubber blowing in the wind. They need to replace the whole black plastic piece under the roof rack. It is helping to keep the rain/water out of your pathfinder.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pull it back out, and make more of the piece visable. When I noticed my first loose piece, there was at least a foot of rubber blowing in the wind. They need to replace the whole black plastic piece under the roof rack. It is helping to keep the rain/water out of your pathfinder.

It doesn't matter to me now................ Today Nissan repurchased my vehicle today. While at the dealer the sales guy came by and asked would you like to buy another vehicle today... I said yes.... The Toyota and Honda lot both are around the corner, can you please give me a ride there????? Well a small walk later i'm now the owner of a Toyota!!!!!!! :D :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Molding

My molding has been replaced once on the passenger side and twice on the drivers side. I want to see if the roof moulding on the Jx35 is any better for quality and if it will fit on the pathfinder.

It must be happening alot as it was back ordered and took 2 weeks for it to arrive for installation. At least my dealership is good and gave me a free rental car for the second install.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, most 2013's have that issue
No they don't, please quit posting if you don't know what you are talking about. If most 2013 pathfinders had this problem this thread would be much much longer rather than 4-5 posters mentioning it. There's been over 150,000 pathfinders sold.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No they don't, please quit posting if you don't know what you are talking about. If most 2013 pathfinders had this problem this thread would be much much longer rather than 4-5 posters mentioning it. There's been over 150,000 pathfinders sold.
UMAD? If you are trying to argue that most Pathfinders don't have the roof rack then sure. But from what I gather through the forums, my own personal experience and the service technicians at the dealership most of them seem to. Mine started to come out on my drive home with the vehicle. The service technicians claim that the adhesive wasn't strong enough and once it comes up the whole molding has to be replaced. It's not apparent if it plagues newer Pathfinders or not but the dealership seemed pretty annoyed with the problem in general. Just because everyone doesn't run out to the internet and post on the same online forum about it doesn't mean that it isn't a real problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
UMAD? If you are trying to argue that most Pathfinders don't have the roof rack then sure. But from what I gather through the forums, my own personal experience and the service technicians at the dealership most of them seem to. Mine started to come out on my drive home with the vehicle. The service technicians claim that the adhesive wasn't strong enough and once it comes up the whole molding has to be replaced. It's not apparent if it plagues newer Pathfinders or not but the dealership seemed pretty annoyed with the problem in general. Just because everyone doesn't run out to the internet and post on the same online forum about it doesn't mean that it isn't a real problem.
So the few post on here and a few cases at your one dealership makes you think it's a problem with all pathfinders? Yep that makes since....

·
Registered
151 Posts
So the few post on here and a few cases at your one dealership makes you think it's a problem with all pathfinders? Yep that makes since....
Considering the service advisor at the dealership my PF came from, which is different from Borinal's "one" dealership, stated that the exterior pieces of the PF seem to be as lousy as the CVT (he mentioned the side door moldings and the roof rack moldings in the list), and they get a lot of vehicles coming in to have those parts replaced as well, tells me that while it may not be every PF it could very well be a lot. So it makes sense to me. Feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about either though since we all pale in comparison to your vast knowledge, o Nissan guru :rolleyes:

No really, congrats to you though, we didn't all get a PF that has been 110% perfect.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Considering the service advisor at the dealership my PF came from, which is different from Borinal's "one" dealership, stated that the exterior pieces of the PF seem to be as lousy as the CVT (he mentioned the side door moldings and the roof rack moldings in the list), and they get a lot of vehicles coming in to have those parts replaced as well, tells me that while it may not be every PF it could very well be a lot. So it makes sense to me. Feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about either though since we all pale in comparison to your vast knowledge, o Nissan guru :rolleyes:

No really, congrats to you though, we didn't all get a PF that has been 110% perfect.
Where exactly did I say I know more than you? I'm just not so quick to make a generalized statement when there's only a few problems you know of out of the close to 1000 members on here.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just a quick update. Took my PF to the dealer today to have the molding replaced - had a 3:00 appt. When I got there, my service advisor told me that due to having to repair so many pathfinders with loose molding, they were out of the parts. They had to order it. It is not just the black rubber molding that has to be replaced - pp is correct - they have to replace the whole plastic piece.
looks like this is a pretty common issue then

loose moldings and transmission parts will run dry!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts