Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry, don't have a solution, but I second the frustration. Bluetooth streaming should be standard on the SL model, premium package or not. $35K and I can't stream music? My Subaru Legacy streams, and well I might add. A **** Hyundai Sonata offers this in the mid $20's.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Interestingly, I noticed that if I bring up Google Maps on my iPhone and set it to do turn-by-turn navigation, it streams the audio through the already established BT pairing. It does this with no manipulation on my part.

So, clearly the capability is there, it's just not fully supported in software for some reason. I believe I read elsewhere here that there is a forthcoming firmware update.... let's hope it solves this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good observation cwa107! I checked Google Maps my iPhone 4s too and you are right, it does stream the audio through Bluetooth. Does not work using Apple Maps though. I hope you are right about a firmware update. But they may also want to retain it for the Platinum model.

Since we are on the topic of GPS, another cool feature would be hooking up your iPhone to the video-in port and using the Pathfinder's screen to view the directions. (NISSAN - are you guys listening? ) I know there's some safety issues involved on not having video enabled when the car is moving. But I am sure there would be options that
enforce safety at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Good observation cwa107! I checked Google Maps my iPhone 4s too and you are right, it does stream the audio through Bluetooth. Does not work using Apple Maps though. I hope you are right about a firmware update. But they may also want to retain it for the Platinum model.

Since we are on the topic of GPS, another cool feature would be hooking up your iPhone to the video-in port and using the Pathfinder's screen to view the directions. (NISSAN - are you guys listening? ) I know there's some safety issues involved on not having video enabled when the car is moving. But I am sure there would be options that
enforce safety at the same time.
I wouldn't be surprised if this were a deliberate move to encourage people to move up to the Platinum, but certainly a stupid/short-sighted one. It was pointed out elsewhere that even bargain-basement Hyundais have this kind of functionality - and it's the little things that sell cars and influence recommendations, particularly in the social media space (which is becoming VERY important for automakers).

I would encourage you and ANYONE else who feels strongly about this to "Like" Nissan Pathfinder on Facebook.... then post on their wall about your feelings.

Nissan owns Clarion, if I remember correctly. Though they are not as huge of a player as they once were, they are a player nonetheless and they have the technology to deliver a first-rate infotainment experience. Let's hope some gently nudges help them to choose to expand the capabilities of this system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know about everyone else but I can stream Pandora via Bluetooth on my platinum pf... Click the aux button until you come to the Bluetooth audio section.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Correct, that is supposed to work on the Platinum. People with the Bose system from the SL Premium package like myself just think it sucks it doesn't work for us. The possibility seems to be there though. Still holding out hope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After reading this thread, I understood that my SL would not support streaming and I made sure to have a 3.5 mm to RCA cable so that I could listen to Pandora from my phone through the AUX input.

While I was listening, I received a call, which muted the AUX input as it switched over to the Bluetooth voice control system. However, because the 3.5 mm jack was plugged into my phone, the audio from the call must have continued to go through that path instead of the Bluetooth. The caller could hear me, but I couldn't hear him since the AUX input was muted.

Short version... is there a way to stream Pandora in a way that still allows the hands free phone system to work? This seems like a bug, or another reason why full audio streaming should be enabled instead of putting it in Platinum only. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Miccus mini jack TX Bluetooth receiver, less than $40 on amazon.com. Similar Bluetooth receivers available on amazon and eBay. Just provide cable between receiver and RCA jacks in center armrest bin. I do not know if pairing a phone with one of these receivers will interfere with the phone Bluetooth functions or vice versa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would look at grom audio and see if they have something in their nissan lineup that you could utilize, it links your phone with bluetooth and streams your music via bluetooth to your speakers and you get steering wheel controls. You can also have bluetooth calling with it as well. I had it on my BMW that i used to own and it was a great add on. I think i paid 175 for the whole setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Joined the forum for this very question - hoping maybe a software update to the Nissan system would allow for BT Audio streaming. It's just a matter of adding the A2DP and AVRP profiles to the system. I'm guessing those and a menu item are what's added in the Premium version. Not sure how Nissan updates their systems, but if someone at a dealership could try flashing an SL with the Premium software, perhaps we could gain the features. (My old Acura used DVDs for updates)

As for Google Maps, it works on iOS because Maps is connecting to the hands-free profile, which is also how the phone feature works. Siri is also using this so you can do hands-free Siri if you wanted. Interestingly, Google Maps on Android does not do this, or at least not on any of the android phones I've tried. (S3, S4, Razr Maxx, Droid 2)

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Not sure how Nissan updates their systems, but if someone at a dealership could try flashing an SL with the Premium software, perhaps we could gain the features. (My old Acura used DVDs for updates)
It would be awesome if we could get someone from a Nissan dealer on these forums... I've seen it happen on other automotive forums. Unfortunately, without that kind of insider knowledge, all of this is just speculative at this point.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all the mod'ers and hackers out there there has got to be a somewhat simple fix for this because I'm sure the capability is already there, it just needs to be "turned on"

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Just an interesting side-note in relation to app-based Bluetooth streaming...

I upgraded my old iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 about a month ago and so this is my first exposure to Siri. I find that with the phone paired, if I activate Siri, it not only uses the Bluetooth audio, but it uses the vehicles mic for when you do voice commands.

So, clearly an app can use the BT connection to stream if it's deliberately setup to do this. We've already seen this evidenced by Google Maps (at least the iOS version). I wonder if Pandora will catch on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't believe what I am hearing. Is it really that difficult to plug in your iphone and play music that way? Get a longer cable if you need it. My Pandora plays fine and when a call comes in, it mutes AND pauses the song until the phone conversation is over. Plus I like having the display show the song title from Pandora. All I hear is laziness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your helpful response jcobbdawg, and I'm glad that you are enjoying your special treatment as an Apple customer. Newer Android devices however do not work with the usb connection (at least I know my S4 doesn't) so if we want to listen to audio we have to use the AUX connection which does not provide any display text, cannot be managed through the car's forward and back buttons, and as noted by a previous poster does not properly switch over to Bluetooth when there is an incoming call.

·
Registered
440 Posts
A **** Hyundai Sonata offers this in the mid $20's.
Our 2011 Sonata was $19k new and came with Bluetooth music (aux button switches between Bluetooth, iPhone/iPod, and 3.5mm wired input). It also has an iPhone/iPod connection that provides song info to the radio display and allows control of music (and Spotify/Pandora apps) via steering wheel controls or Bluetooth commands.

Sad that our pathfinder cost so much more, yet can do so much less in terms of connectivity and entertainment. Nissan really dropped the ball on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Thanks for your helpful response jcobbdawg, and I'm glad that you are enjoying your special treatment as an Apple customer. Newer Android devices however do not work with the usb connection (at least I know my S4 doesn't) so if we want to listen to audio we have to use the AUX connection which does not provide any display text, cannot be managed through the car's forward and back buttons, and as noted by a previous poster does not properly switch over to Bluetooth when there is an incoming call.
That is an unfortunate side-effect of Android, and actually, Linux in general. While it has the benefit of providing infinite choice in terms of both hardware and software, it has the con of not being as standardized as closed, vertical solutions like the Apple iOS/iPod products.

So, when you're developing a vehicle that can host any one of hundreds of different devices, you simply can't account for every variant of Android that is out there. But more than that, you can't account for every instance of Android and whatever modifications have been made by the hardware manufacturer (in your case, Samsung).

This is why Google acquired Motorola Mobility and also produces the Nexus line of devices... it's an attempt to try to reign Android in a bit and standardize the user experience. Hopefully, Samsung will get on-board at some point. Until then, I'm sticking with iPhone as I had a similar dismal experience with Android back when I had my HTC Incredible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, it just happens that I have an iPhone. Yay me! I guess that is the one downfall of having an Android but beggers can't be choosers. When I test drove the PF everything connected so I was hooked. The only real solution is to get an iPhone (iPhone 5, WalMart $98), put music on flash drive (mp3) or get that aux cable. Plus I have Pandora One so I don't have to mess with controls. Just select station and go...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2015 Pathfinder SL, yesterday. I almost didn't because of the lack of Bluetooth. However, I discovered that if I pressed play on Spotify before plugging my phone into the USB port, Spotify would play through the speakers and Google Maps would work too. It's not bluetooth but it allows third party audio streaming.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
About this Discussion
89 Replies
46 Participants
oz212
Nissan Pathfinder Forum
PathfinderTalk forum community for owners to discuss maintenance, problems, service for 2013 and newer Nissan Pathfinder
Full Forum Listing