Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

One thing you got to love about the pF Hybrid is that it isn't obviously a hybrid like some car makers design them to be. it just has a simple hybrid badge and thats all!

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,190 Posts
...it just has a simple hybrid badge and thats all!
Hardly. What do you call 4 cylinders vs. 6? 2.5 L vs. 3.5 L? Oh, and then there's the matter of that 15-kw electric motor... along with 25/27 vs. 19/25.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think NissanGuy is talking about the outside appearance.

I do wonder what this car would be like with just the 2.5L supercharged gas engine. The hybrid system adds quite a bit of extra weight and complexity for just an extra 20hp of boost.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hardly. What do you call 4 cylinders vs. 6? 2.5 L vs. 3.5 L? Oh, and then there's the matter of that 15-kw electric motor... along with 25/27 vs. 19/25.
LOL relax I was talking about the exterior, did you really think I though they put a hybrid badge on a 100% petrol Pathfinder and called it a day??
Of course I know they did much more to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,190 Posts
LOL relax I was talking about the exterior, did you really think I though they put a hybrid badge on a 100% petrol Pathfinder and called it a day??
Of course I know they did much more to it.
The hybrid versions of MOST brands don't look much different from their petrol counterparts (other than the badge), so I didn't think Nissan is so unique in that regard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thus far, the Pathfinder Hybrid has proven to be a great choice for us. We were simply waiting for the next Toyota Highlander offering, until I was given a standard Highlander as a rental. That was all the experience we needed to know we needed to consider the Pathfinder as an option. Haven't looked back since signing the papers.

I do believe that the Highlander would eat the Pathfinder's lunch all day long on the fuel economy front, but the difference was worth it, in exchange for the additional comfort/style and far superior towing capacity.

For what it's worth, the Pathfinder has given us 25-28 in the city of late (with cold temperatures not seen in 20 years) and yielded 31.xx on a 1,600 mile round trip to Vermont over the holidays. While I've spent 300k+ miles in a combination of Toyota Hybrids, there's a happy convert here when it comes to the Pathfinder.

·
Super Moderator
4,190 Posts
I do believe that the Highlander would eat the Pathfinder's lunch all day long on the fuel economy front, but the difference was worth it, in exchange for the additional comfort/style and far superior towing capacity.
Glad you are enjoying your PF Hybrid. We haven't heard too many reports from owners thusfar.

Just a point about what you mentioned above. The Pathfinder Hybrid, does in fact have a reduced towing capacity compared to the gas versions and at 3500 lbs., matches that of the Highlander. I know this because I researched this extensively before buying my SL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your PF Hybrid. We haven't heard too many reports from owners thusfar.

Just a point about what you mentioned above. The Pathfinder Hybrid, does in fact have a reduced towing capacity compared to the gas versions and at 3500 lbs., matches that of the Highlander. I know this because I researched this extensively before buying my SL.
You're absolutely right regarding the towing capacity. I must add that I meant to say I was given a regular/base Pathfinder (not a Highlander) as a rental - thus the push towards the Nissan offering. The 3,500lbs of capacity was plenty for my needs, given the fact that I've been tasking our Prius with the responsibility otherwise (please don't hijack the tread with laughs or questions - my towing journeys with it have been well documented on PriusChat.com if you'd like to review). With the HiHy only being rated at 1k and my need to tow 3-4 at the minimum in the coming years, it's great not to have to rely on borrowing a truck, or splitting loads and asking a Prius to do something it was never intended to do.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I do wonder what this car would be like with just the 2.5L supercharged gas engine.
It's not the same thing, but

I had a 1989 Chrysler minivan with 2.5 four cylinder and turbocharger (they sold them for just two years). LOVED IT! Great gas mileage and it could smoke the front wheels. Peak horsepower and torque exceeded the values for the V6 3.0 sold that year. Kept it for 175,000 miles with no problems for the engine or turbocharger.

Of course it was not a hybrid and did not get 28 mpg in the city. On the other had, Chrysler did not stick an electric motor inside the transmission either.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I do wonder what this car would be like with just the 2.5L supercharged gas engine. The hybrid system adds quite a bit of extra weight and complexity for just an extra 20hp of boost.
I'm betting it would feel about like a full size SUV with a 4 cylinder engine. Keep in mind that electric motors have 100% of their maximum torque available when first starting from a stop. So 20 electric hp is worth far more than its weight when starting from a standstill. That initial power is what keeps the 4 cylinder engine from feeling sluggish until it reaches the sweet spot of its power band.

Also, for anyone doing rush hour stop-and-go driving, and likely getting well below the officially reported 20 mpg city (I get 17-18 combined, probably 15 city), the electric motor does the bulk of the work during the constant idle-AccelerateTo10-stop-idle-AccelerateTo10-stop-idle-etc grind. That's why the real-world fuel economy in the city is nearly double that of the non-hybrid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah but we are talking supercharged 4 cyl. Supercharging gives you torque very early, so this *would not* feel like a regular 4 cyl (like one in the Rogue for instance). Also, I recently test-drove a 4cyl turbo BMW X3, which is only slightly lighter than the pathfinder, and that thing does not feel slow at all. I bet it's faster than the V6 pathfinder to 60.

20hp is nothing for accelerating a beast like the pathfinder. Just compare how hard you press the throttle to accelerate, even moderately vs steady-state 55mph. Imagine if it *only* had the 20hp electric motor (even with all its torque) - what would you expect for acceleration?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts