Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At almost 130,000kms on the clock our air con stopped working. When dropped off at the dealership, they advised that it was a faulty compressor and would seek advice from Nissan Australia as it was "just out of warranty". They come back to us with an offer of bearing 50% of the changeover costs. $750 is the cost we are up for. Not happy on such a new car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would call Nissan Aust, make it clear you are not happy and that you want to have it replaced free of charge under your rights with Australian Consumer Guarantees.

Stick to your guns, insist you would have reasonably expected a compressor to have lasted 5-6 years.

http://www.nissan.com.au/Owners/Owner-Information/Warranty

Scroll down towards the bottom:

NOTE: Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although I agree it should not go bad that early, consider yourself lucky that they are paying for 50% of it. You are not "just out of warranty", you are way past the max mileage.
I have the extended warranty offered by Nissan Australia, not worth the paper it is written on, and didn't pay extra for it as it had been thrown in as a sweetener to an already generous price. Not so much whinging about the warranty, but the point that this car has been riddled with issues compared to other previous new cars owned. It doesn't help when the last car 09 Mitsubishi Lancer Aspire was 15,000km service intervals, 160,000km or 10yr drivetrain warranty. Services alone are 4-5 a year on the Pathfinder, then at least another 2 trips for warranty issues that cant wait until the next service or parts not in stock at time of service. Besides servicing, the Lancer only needed a battery in 6years. The Pathfinder: gearbox shuddering that the tech cannot replicate after multiple visits, plastic trim falling off behind the inner door handle, both sunvisors replaced due to sag, maps up to 3 years old on update, power tailgate closing as soon as fully opened, then the compressor. All the dealer related issues like brakes and poor wheel alignments on top, it means I dont go more than 2 months without losing time over it.

I would call Nissan Aust, make it clear you are not happy and that you want to have it replaced free of charge under your rights with Australian Consumer Guarantees.

Stick to your guns, insist you would have reasonably expected a compressor to have lasted 5-6 years.

http://www.nissan.com.au/Owners/Owner-Information/Warranty

Scroll down towards the bottom:

NOTE: Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
Cheers Mercina, will look into it all over the next few days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At almost 130,000kms on the clock our air con stopped working. When dropped off at the dealership, they advised that it was a faulty compressor and would seek advice from Nissan Australia as it was "just out of warranty". They come back to us with an offer of bearing 50% of the changeover costs. $750 is the cost we are up for. Not happy on such a new car.
We have a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder done 57,000kms and have the same problem - we await Nissan response on who paying to fix it. Not happy either!

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
I had the same issue this past year at about 51k miles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's amazing how expensive automotive HVAC problems are. Then couple that with the fact you're almost always getting a remanufactured compressor of unknown quality/origin makes it even more frustrating.

FWIW, the a/c system quit on our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan when the van was barely 3yrs old and had ~60K miles on it. It was supposedly a corrosion leak on the rear evap/heater core assembly even though everything was spotless under there. The bill was $1200. Luckily the extended warranty contract I bought with the van covered it.

I've read that the refrigerant lines behind the liner in the right rear wheel well can be a problem area (leak spot) on Muranos and Pathfinders. I'm going to peel the liner back and spray mine down with Fluid Film at some point soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts