Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving and all of a sudden the AC stopped blowing cold. The fan is working but I don’t hear the compressor. I added a little refrigerant as I hear that is usually the problem but nothing. I don’t hear the compressor kicking in. Could it be a fuse somewhere? What tests can I run?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’d start with the factory service manual air conditioning section. Their are separate chapters for manual vs automatic AC’s. Even if you don’t have a diagnostic computer, there’s a section that will guide you through making the diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was driving and all of a sudden the AC stopped blowing cold. The fan is working but I don’t hear the compressor. I added a little refrigerant as I hear that is usually the problem but nothing. I don’t hear the compressor kicking in. Could it be a fuse somewhere? What tests can I run?
If you could safely unplug electrical connector of the A/C magnetic coil, excite it with your 12volt battery voltage it should engage otherwise you have a bad coil.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
955 Posts
If you could safely unplug electrical connector of the A/C magnetic coil, excite it with your 12volt battery voltage it should engage otherwise you have a bad coil.
I would try to energize it from the relay position first. This will at least test the wiring from the relay to the clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem, I bought AC Pro from Amazon and trying to charge, but the gauge said my compressor is not engaging, I brought it to a shop.. He charged me $100 to charge the Freon and Evac., then told me I have a bad compressor, said it's $1k job. Why would he do that if he knows it's a bad compressor? He said he checked the fuse and relay, no issue there.

I called another place, they said $600 to replace the compressor which I think it's more reasonable.
Mine is a 2014 with 115,000 miles.

It's 95 degree today, can't drive another day without cold AC. lol

·
Registered
955 Posts
I am having the same problem, I bought AC Pro from Amazon and trying to charge, but the gauge said my compressor is not engaging, I brought it to a shop.. He charged me $100 to charge the Freon and Evac., then told me I have a bad compressor, said it's $1k job. Why would he do that if he knows it's a bad compressor? He said he checked the fuse and relay, no issue there.

I called another place, they said $600 to replace the compressor which I think it's more reasonable.
Mine is a 2014 with 115,000 miles.

It's 95 degree today, can't drive another day without cold AC. lol
If the compressor is indeed bad and not just the clutch, there could be particulate matter throughout the system that's going to cause problems if the system isn't purged clean, and the dryer/filter replaced. $600 is pretty low estimate. Maybe worth a shot if the guy gives a warranty.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will take a look this weekend but am thinking this is going to be beyond my abilities so probably just going to take it to the shop to have it diagnosed properly.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2002 BMW 325XI

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,850 Posts
What I've found is that many shops will replace the compressor even if the only bad thing is the magnet but it is faster and more profitable to replace the whole thing.
A compressor should be changed if its rattling, seized, worn and not building enough pressure or if the mechanical seal is leaking.

·
Registered
955 Posts
What I've found is that many shops will replace the compressor even if the only bad thing is the magnet but it is faster and more profitable to replace the whole thing.
While I'm sure that plays into it, I think the biggest reason they replace the whole thing is because of parts availability. They'll use what they can get that day. I've only seen the replacement clutch kits available by mail order.

If unsure of the issue, I wonder if mail-ordering a replacement clutch kit to have on hand would be the way to go. If the shop can't use it, send it back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think the days of replacing a clutch are gone. Gotta replace the compressor, along with the filter(s), accumulator(if it has one) and possibly expansion valve. NOT just a replacement though, once the system is open, it must also be purged and flushed out because when a compressor gives up, it gives up for a reason and can send "crap" through the system that will damage the new compressor as well. I've done the work myself in the past, but no longer have vacuum pump etc. Recharging is also not just a matter of Freon, it must have the right amount of oil. Too much oil will take out a compressor as will too much Freon. Probably worth the money to get someone who will include warranty on the work and do it properly.

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
A magnet and clutch can be replaced without removing the compressor and opening the system. That is the whole point of doing it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A magnet and clutch can be replaced without removing the compressor and opening the system. That is the whole point of doing it.
If it can be done, and is diagnosed properly that's good news. I've never done it. At 100k+ miles might be just as well replacing it all, on the other hand, I've seen compressors run 400k.

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
Never done it on a PF. Did it years ago on a Mazda, had to remove the compressor from its base (not the hoses), rotate it and then I was able to replace the magnet.
And stay away from cheap compressors. On another Mazda, I replaced it with a Chinese made one and it was noisy, really noisy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing here but I know what’s wrong, because I found a dealer with a Japanese Nissan factory trained mechanic- it’s an electrical short- easy to fix - problem is finding a factory trained mechanic - my whole entire panel went out slowly, first the radio, then the AC - then the backup camera - it took me six months to find someone who wasn’t trying to sell me extra repairs- they repaired everything but the panel- I finally got lucky - do if you do want to make a fuss- take it to a mechanic and tell them to call Larry Miller Nissan in Mesa AZ/ apparently they are the only dealer who actually fixes the electric short - it’s internal somewhere but they fixed it in an hour - loose wire, broken wire, something simple

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing here but I know what’s wrong, because I found a dealer with a Japanese Nissan factory trained mechanic- it’s an electrical short- easy to fix - problem is finding a factory trained mechanic - my whole entire panel went out slowly, first the radio, then the AC - then the backup camera - it took me six months to find someone who wasn’t trying to sell me extra repairs- they repaired everything but the panel- I finally got lucky - do if you do want to make a fuss- take it to a mechanic and tell them to call Larry Miller Nissan in Mesa AZ/ apparently they are the only dealer who actually fixes the electric short - it’s internal somewhere but they fixed it in an hour - loose wire, broken wire, something simple
None of the controls on the panel worked - if that’s your issue it is the electrical short- if it’s the actual compressor or engine part- that’s different

1 - 17 of 17 Posts