Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figures - record high temperatures out west and yesterday AM the AC started up cold, then I adjusted it up a bit and it stopped blowing cold. Nothing like driving in 36C weather without AC.

Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
955 Posts
Can you feel any cold air from the rear a/c? Can you hear the a/c compressor cycle? The cooling fans cycle?

Hopefully it's not that dreaded rear a/c refrigerant line that runs behind the right rear fender liner. Those lines can corrode, leak and cause all refrigerant loss.

I feel for ya man. A/c problems are never cheap to fix.

Reactions: Bushman

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,850 Posts
First thing to check is the easy stuff, fuses and relays. I believe the Magnetic Clutch relay of the PF is built into that complex relay module but look in the electrical boxes in the engine compartment for anything that sounds like that.
Second would be to check if the compressor's clutch is engaging or not. Most likely it isn't and it could be due to the magnet failure or low refrigerant pressure. If it is engaging, check if it is slipping.
If the clutch is slipping, then it could be that the compressor is bad and hard to turn, or that the clutch is worn and needs replacement/adjustment.
If it is not engaging or slipping, you can disconnect the wire going to the magnet (someone in this forum confirmed it can be done) and run 12V to it (engine off). If you see the clutch sticking to the pulley, then it is ok.
Last would be to check the pressures but you need special equipment to do that.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to check relays/fuses - IF I can find the diagram. Other than comfortable seats and awesome gas mileage, this thing is PITA. Can't wait to dump it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do the engine fans turn on when you push the ac button? If so, there is prob enough refrigerant. See if the clutch is engaged too. 9/10 it's the compressor clutch or low refrigerant.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fans engage when AC is turned on. Motor doors work for air flow. Fuses fine. I can't see the clutch, but that is my fear - it's bad. Dealership tomorrow AM. It ain't gonna be cheap!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealership tech tells me the compressor clutch is gone. OEM replacement is 1700 CAD! They will do a non-OEM for $850. I will get them to show me that the clutch is truly gone.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's easy to show. Turn on the AC and look at the compressor. You should see it spinning. If it isn't, disconnect the connector on the compressor and put a test light in it's place. If it lights up, the clutch is bad.

AC repairs are notoriously expensive and this is a super common failure on tons of vehicles.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it seems to be the case. First time in my life I've had AC fail. I was talking to a service rep and they said an AC compressor blew up on an Xterra - $4K for repair since it trashed lines, condensers etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, you'd pretty much have to replace the whole system at that point.

Now that it's hot as heck out, I've been doing a compressor like every other day and diagnosing AC not working multiple times a day. Interesting that people didn't complain about having no front de-fog this whole time since that won't work if your AC doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,850 Posts
Dealership tech tells me the compressor clutch is gone. OEM replacement is 1700 CAD! They will do a non-OEM for $850. I will get them to show me that the clutch is truly gone.
The clutch or the magnet?
If it is the clutch, you should see some slippage. This video shows a clutch engaging/disengaging. Advance to 2:35

Running power directly to the magnet will tell you if its good or bad.

From this video, it seems that the clutch is pretty accessible from the wheel well, I could be wrong but shouldn't be too hard to replace without removing the compressor. Clutch and magnet kit are available for less than $100. OEM is a bit pricy but still much less than the compressor.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
955 Posts
You can't mail order a replacement clutch and have a repair shop just replace the clutch?

Does the non-OEM come with any type of warranty? Often times, the non-OEM will be an OEM in the box when you get it.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No shop I could find would do just the clutch. And replacing it is above my pay grade. The non-OEM is one year warranty, just like NISSAN OEM.

BTW, I'm not sure how that video of the clutch was taken - I cannot even see the belt!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The clutch or the magnet?
If it is the clutch, you should see some slippage. This video shows a clutch engaging/disengaging. Advance to 2:35

Running power directly to the magnet will tell you if its good or bad.

From this video, it seems that the clutch is pretty accessible from the wheel well, I could be wrong but shouldn't be too hard to replace without removing the compressor. Clutch and magnet kit are available for less than $100. OEM is a bit pricy but still much less than the compressor.
$350 USD plus shipping is gonna be about $500. That is more than an entire aftermarket new compressor with clutch. Thanks though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts