Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with my Nissan NA rep. She read me a internal bulletin from Nissan master tech's that has just been released. It said that another TSB would be issued in a couple of weeks about the CVT shudder. It said that replacing the solenoid packs would be the next fix for the shudder.

I found this info very interesting since a poster reported this weeks ago on this forum, and it seems that the information was correct. She also basically told me that Nissan has no idea why these PFs are shuddering, and they don't really know what to do to fix the problem.

She also told me that she has lots of cases open right now for the CVT shudder, and she deals with very, very unhappy PF owners on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I thought they were past this? I remember reading a post that said they solved it by replacing the whole transmission since the torque converter was the main problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So then they will install new solenoid packs in the new cvt I hope... since the Judder causes damage to the cvt per the Nissan rep and the "Nissan tech" that I had talked to....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought they were past this? I remember reading a post that said they solved it by replacing the whole transmission since the torque converter was the main problem.

Nope, I just received a new CVT and torque converter about a week and a half ago, and I still have a shudder. This new TSB is independent from the changing out of the CVT. I have no idea what a solenoid pack is, but that is what Nissan will be trying next.

Carrie

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have no idea what a solenoid pack is, but that is what Nissan will be trying next.

Carrie
If it's anything like the solenoids in an automatic tranny then my understanding is it pretty much sends signals to all parts of the CVT telling it how to operate. I've also had the entire CVT replaced and still have the shudder so that makes me wonder if this is a newly designed/programmed solenoid or not. I feel like now Nissan is just taking shots in the dark with this issue. Very interesting info, tanks for sharing, cvjw!

·
Registered
212 Posts
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Here is some info I found online regarding the CVT solenoid pack:

The solenoid pack inside the CVT transmission receives information from the computer. The computer then uses sensors on the engine and transmission to detect things such as the throttle position, vehicle speed, engine speed, engine load and brake pedal position to control exact shift points as well as how soft or firm the shift should be. The solenoid pack contains several electrically controlled solenoids that redirect fluid to the right clutch pack or servo in order to control its shifting.

Maybe Nissan is finally onto something...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
[FONT=&quot]

The solenoid pack inside the CVT transmission receives information from the computer. The computer then uses sensors on the engine and transmission to detect things such as the throttle position, vehicle speed, engine speed, engine load and brake pedal position to control exact shift points as well as how soft or firm the shift should be. The solenoid pack contains several electrically controlled solenoids that redirect fluid to the right clutch pack or servo in order to control its shifting.

Seems so, but it seems like there's always something to be concerned about in the new Pathfinders. I'll keep this update in mind and be on the look out for when all the major problems like this have been worked out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
[FONT=&quot]

One thing I'll add, in each case (TC replacement and CVT replacement) our PF started out with a very smooth "shift" when under light throttle, then as time went on that "shift" got harsher and harsher and that's when the shudder would resurface. The only question I'd have, if that does indeed turn out to be the culprit, is what is causing the solenoid packs to fail. As you said, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Update on the new tsb...

On Tuesday I called the Nissan rep back, and she said yes, the new tsb is to be released in the next 2 weeks.

The "fix" is to replace the valve body assy, in the cvt.. My main question is if the "judder" damaged the trans and that is why my last one was replaced will they replace the trans again and then put the "updated" valve body.

And from when I asked in the 2014's had this new part as I was wanting to trade mine for another, due to all the issues I've had she said she wasn't sure but the part was just "released" so I would assume any 2014 made this month and prior will also need to have this "updated" part...

Just hoping this fixes it....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Okay...this is really getting confusing.
First I was told by several transmission mechanics (one who works for Nissan) that the most likely cause is faulty casting of the CVT transmission.
Then I read from a board member here who spoke with Nissan NA this past Tuesday who told her that a service bulletin is to be issued in 2 weeks saying that a faulty solenoid pack may be the cause of the shuddering.
Now last night, I read here from another board member that Nissan is issuing a service bulletin in 2 weeks saying that the fix for all this shuddering is replacement of the CVT valve body assembly.
So what gives, is Nissan blindly issuing all kinds of TSB reports with different solutions for this problem or are people here just making up stories about talking to Nissan NA ?
Sorry for the rant, but this issue is just getting more clouded and confusing with each day.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay...this is really getting confusing.
First I was told by several transmission mechanics (one who works for Nissan) that the most likely cause is faulty casting of the CVT transmission.
Then I read from a board member here who spoke with Nissan NA this past Tuesday who told her that a service bulletin is to be issued in 2 weeks saying that a faulty solenoid pack may be the cause of the shuddering.
Now last night, I read here from another board member that Nissan is issuing a service bulletin in 2 weeks saying that the fix for all this shuddering is replacement of the CVT valve body assembly.
So what gives, is Nissan blindly issuing all kinds of TSB reports with different solutions for this problem or are people here just making up stories about talking to Nissan NA ?
Sorry for the rant, but this issue is just getting more clouded and confusing with each day.
I agree it is confusing. As the owner of a shuddering pf with a new CVT that still shudders, I can pretty much say that just changing out the CVT isn't the answer. The Nissan rep read me the internal memo about the upcoming TSB for the solenoid packs. Neither I, nor the Nissan rep had any clue what a solenoid pack is, so I don't think she was making it up. I really think that Nissan can't figure out what the problem is, so they are trying anything they can think of.

Carrie
2013 SL Premium
6000 miles
purchased January 2012
new CVT

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Carrie,

So far I've only had one shudder episode which was at 963 miles.
I'm now at 1060 miles and no re-occurance to date...fingers crossed.
I'm just frustrated about all the supposed fixes coming down the line and wondering if any will solve the problem. Nissan seems so clueless.
It's such a great vehicle, but this shuddering is always on my mind when I'm driving it and after paying almost $40,000, that should be the least of my worries.

John

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Just got off the phone with my Nissan NA rep. She read me a internal bulletin from Nissan master tech's that has just been released. It said that another TSB would be issued in a couple of weeks about the CVT shudder. It said that replacing the solenoid packs would be the next fix for the shudder.

I found this info very interesting since a poster reported this weeks ago on this forum, and it seems that the information was correct. She also basically told me that Nissan has no idea why these PFs are shuddering, and they don't really know what to do to fix the problem.

She also told me that she has lots of cases open right now for the CVT shudder, and she deals with very, very unhappy PF owners on a daily basis.
I t was about **** time they decided to look in to this CVT shudder. just waiting on when this TSB comes out thinking of going in to the dealership today and talk to them about it.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I t was about **** time they decided to look in to this CVT shudder. just waiting on when this TSB comes out thinking of going in to the dealership today and talk to them about it.

I talked with my service manager today about the new TSB coming out. Nissan had not informed him of it yet - he had no idea a new TSB was in the works. You might be wasting a trip to the dealership at this point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks...that clears things up a bit. :)

No problem.

Also when I called the lady back at Nissan, she stated that the dealers will not know a/b it toward the end of the month.. I suppose they are ensuring they have enough new parts to fix the ones that needs fixing.. since well all know how the torque convertor and transmission deal went...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Update new tsb.

Called today to follow up on the new tsb with the dealer. There is a new one but is pretty much same as the old on cvt and torque converter replacement. The service manager said he too had heard about the valve body but was then told parts were not yet available or if it would be a fix. The new tsb is 13086 released on 09-10-2013. Per our conversation.

I truly believe they don't know what the problem is

·
Registered
151 Posts
Any idea when this will hit the nissan-techinfo site?
My understanding, from speaking with our service adviser this afternoon, it will be "officially" released late sept to early oct. Really narrows it down, don't it :D

He did tell me that he hasn't had time read the entire tsb (Nissan emailed it to him shortly before I called) but that he'd never seen one as long as this one...3 pages worth, supposedly. He said, "looks like they're replacing everything on and in the stupid thing". I plan on getting some details tomorrow and report back.

I know there's been folks on the forum that question how widespread the "shudder" issue may or may not be, well, our service adviser readily admitted to me that he had a list "a mile long" of pathfinders and altimas, just from their dealership, that were awaiting this newest tsb. That tells me a lot about how widespread it likely is. The unaffected vehicles may very well outnumber those that are affected but I really doubt it's by a wide margin.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts