Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised these a few days back - well, now I'm here to deliver :)

And this is the angle where I don't care for how it looks - it bumps out from the grille way too much (IMO):

This one gives you a sense of how high it stands off the hood:

I can take some more if another would like to get a better feel for how it fits. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It does stand kind of high.. I wonder why.. They could have tapered the ends a bit to make it cleaner. Man I like the dark slate color..

Lucky you don't require a front plate. Car looks so much better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the pics; you are right, except for the 3rd pic, it looks great. I am thinking about getting it too when I get my pathfinder.

thanks for the pics, please share more pics if you have time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hood deflector on white

Our Pathfinder is white... any opinions on how the deflector will look with that color. I think it looks nice with the grey (and darker colors in general), but not sure about lighter colors. Any one here good with Photoshop that can alter the pics here?

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder SL 4WD
70 Posts
Thanks for the pics. It sort of looks good and also sort of clunky. I just sold my Explorer at 208,000 miles. It had a hood protector on it from day one. It had no hood chips or dings at all when I sold it. The Camry has 187,000 miles, no hood protector and has enough chips that I have been thinking of getting it repainted.

I might opt for the PF hood protector for the protection, and forget about the clunkiness in time....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys -

I just installed my hood protector too. Do I need to be concerned in that wing clip with adhesive attaching to the hood, in terms of peeling paint if at some point i want to remove the accessory? Thanks.

P.S. the wing clip template is not exact and really off in my experience had to redo it :(

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys -

I just installed my hood protector too. Do I need to be concerned in that wing clip with adhesive attaching to the hood, in terms of peeling paint if at some point i want to remove the accessory? Thanks.
No. Removing it should be pretty straightforward. The 3M red tape is a pretty common mounting tape for things like badges and trim. The way you remove it is with a bit of fishing line. You stretch a bit of fishing line and wrap it around your fingers like dental floss. Then you use it in a sawing motion between the clip and the body, working it back and forth. It will cut through the tape.

Once you've got the bulk of the tape removed and the clip is gone, you can using something like Murphy's oil soap to gently polish off the remnants. Others have used a product called "GooGone", though I find that Murphy's works just as well.

P.S. the wing clip template is not exact and really off in my experience had to redo it :(
My templates were perfect. Your printer or PDF program may have scaled the image down or up. For anyone else who does this, be sure to check to make sure that the print-out is scaled to the original size when it prints.

There is actually a scale on the page so that you can double-check the template to make sure it's printed as intended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My templates were perfect. Your printer or PDF program may have scaled the image down or up. For anyone else who does this, be sure to check to make sure that the print-out is scaled to the original size when it prints.

There is actually a scale on the page so that you can double-check the template to make sure it's printed as intended.
You are spot-on my printer did scale it sigh....lesson learned! Thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No. Removing it should be pretty straightforward. The 3M red tape is a pretty common mounting tape for things like badges and trim. The way you remove it is with a bit of fishing line. You stretch a bit of fishing line and wrap it around your fingers like dental floss. Then you use it in a sawing motion between the clip and the body, working it back and forth. It will cut through the tape.

Once you've got the bulk of the tape removed and the clip is gone, you can using something like Murphy's oil soap to gently polish off the remnants. Others have used a product called "GooGone", though I find that Murphy's works just as well.

Make sure you are using a microfiber cloth when using goo gone. I used goo gone with a paper towel one time and dulled the clearcoat.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure you are using a microfiber cloth when using goo gone. I used goo gone with a paper towel one time and dulled the clearcoat.
Yeah, I haven't ever used GooGone on paint, but I've heard from others who have said it works. I know for a fact that Murphy's Oil Soap will break down adhesives, and it's not at all abrasive. So, as long as you've got a good, software microfiber towel, it should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my new 2013 PF and I was wondering how hard it was to install the bug deflector? Did you have to drill? And what about the rubber liner on the front of the hood did you have to remove that? Is it a Nissan OEM part cause that is the only one I can find? Your help would be appreciated, thx

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just bought my new 2013 PF and I was wondering how hard it was to install the bug deflector? Did you have to drill? And what about the rubber liner on the front of the hood did you have to remove that? Is it a Nissan OEM part cause that is the only one I can find? Your help would be appreciated, thx
The only one available that I'm aware of is the Nissan OEM unit.

You have to widen 4 holes that are normally used to mount the weatherstrip under the hood lip. This is pretty easy, though I made it more complicated by putting some touch-up paint on the holes (I felt a little uneasy about leaving bare metal, even though Nissan seems to think it's OK).

Aside from that, the next hardest part is using the included templates to stick on the two outer mounts.

You can read the instructions here:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/diskdocs/1\T\U\1TU25.PDF

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The hood deflector came off today. I had been noticing quite a bit of flutter on the hood when driving on the highway. It was particularly bad during a 100 mile drive out toward Allentown a couple of weeks ago on a stormy day.

I experimented a bit with the hood bumpers, but then ultimately pulled off the plastic wing part. Took it out for another drive and the hood flutter was nearly non-existent.

I think the "lip" that protrudes from the protector at the leading edge of the hood is the problem. It creates a lifting effect, which introduces the elements under the hood. I thought this was a poor design when I first installed it, but this confirms it.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to remove it, I can attest to the fishing line method working just great with the adhesive. It cuts through it like a hot knife through butter. The remnants were easily removed by rubbing out with my finger tip. I followed up with some Meguiar's Instant Detailer and a fresh coat of Meguiar's Cleaning Wax. You could never tell it was there.

Waste of money for sure, but better than having to feel like my hood was gonna fly off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No issues with mine at the moment with snow and lots of 75mph driving so far.. but I only have 1400 miles.

I got mine installed by the dealer, if anything I am covered with the warranty and extended warranty. :eek:

But, I do like the looks of it tho.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The hood deflector came off today. I had been noticing quite a bit of flutter on the hood when driving on the highway. It was particularly bad during a 100 mile drive out toward Allentown a couple of weeks ago on a stormy day.

I experimented a bit with the hood bumpers, but then ultimately pulled off the plastic wing part. Took it out for another drive and the hood flutter was nearly non-existent.

I think the "lip" that protrudes from the protector at the leading edge of the hood is the problem. It creates a lifting effect, which introduces the elements under the hood. I thought this was a poor design when I first installed it, but this confirms it.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to remove it, I can attest to the fishing line method working just great with the adhesive. It cuts through it like a hot knife through butter. The remnants were easily removed by rubbing out with my finger tip. I followed up with some Meguiar's Instant Detailer and a fresh coat of Meguiar's Cleaning Wax. You could never tell it was there.

Waste of money for sure, but better than having to feel like my hood was gonna fly off.

Good advise. the fish line method is a good one but even better, combining that with the use of a heat gun, applying just enough heat to heat up the adhesive and NOT too much that it damages your paint.

I have done this for debadging vehicles and it works wonders.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Hey guys I'm still new at this and wonder whats the reason behind installing a hood deflector? are there any real benefits besides the headache of it flying off unexpectedly?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys I'm still new at this and wonder whats the reason behind installing a hood deflector? are there any real benefits besides the headache of it flying off unexpectedly?
They mostly deflect road debris / bugs away from the hood and windshield. Some people add them for the look. I personally like to have one to keep the lip of the hood from getting chips.

I'll probably just put some clear film on instead if I don't end up reinstalling it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didnt like the way the bug deflector looked so I just went for a clear bra. Of course I paid a lot more than if I just got the hood deflector. But my whole front is protected from rock chips.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not a fan of the look but understand the need.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts