Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2014 Jeep Cherokee will be the first US vehicle to feature a nine-speed automatic transmission. That is, if it ever actually gets released. ZF CEO Stefan Sommer says that the 9-speed transmission will soon be the standard on US vehicles though. A large reason for this is the extra fuel efficiency that such a transmission provides. Smaller transmission will still be available, but the 9-speed will be the default.

ZF has invested $600 million into its Gray Court, South Carolina facility, where it plans to build 800,000 9-speed transmissions each year.

I guess the Cherokee is the guinea pig for this technology. Soon it will be everywhere.

Would you opt for a smaller transmission, or are you just itching to try out the new 9-speed transmission?

·
Registered
12 Posts
they have been using these for years over in Europe, some of those have been matched up with the 3.0L diesel that they are going to put in the ram pickup that are to be for sale in the new 2014 rams.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not a fan, automatics already spend enough time searching for gears in 5 and 6 speed gear boxes now they want it to go hunting through 9 gears???

If people really want fuel efficiency they need to learn how to drive, soft acceleration, learn to coast into red lights so you can start rolling instead of at a stand still, just manage your RPMs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not a fan, automatics already spend enough time searching for gears in 5 and 6 speed gear boxes now they want it to go hunting through 9 gears???
I know Mercedes' 7 speed in the G55 AMG starts in 2nd gear during normal acceleration and skips 3rd. I assume most 7+ speed automatics do not use every gear except during hard acceleration.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard that the 9-speed transmission has really smooth shifts. You can barely notice them. It is supposed to give a really smooth ride and improve your fuel economy some.

I do wonder how many of the gears are actually used regularly. I imagine that a few of the gears are only used for towing or hills, etc...

·
Registered
212 Posts
With all the mechanical difficulties Chrysler products are known for, its probably not wise for them to attempt a 9 speed transmission.

·
Registered
98 Posts
These same ZF 8 and 9 speed transmissions will be going in to Honda and Acura vehicles, the Honda Pilot will get the ZF 8-speed next year for sure according to the official announcement a few months back.

I looked at the specs on the Cherokee with the 9-speed, efficiency is really WEAK! The new Rogue with next-gen CVT is 3-4 mpg's better, and its a similar sized vehicle. Not very impressive Jeep, Nissan has them beat with the CVT on paper. In terms of reliability, who knows, wait 10 years and see which is better, Nissan next-gen CVT or Jeep/ZF/Honda 9-spd tranny.

·
Registered
262 Posts
With all the mechanical difficulties Chrysler products are known for, its probably not wise for them to attempt a 9 speed transmission.
Chrysler isnt attempting the 9 speed. Its being built by ZF who have a long standing reputation of building transmissions and drive line parts.

cfrp, the pathfinder doesnt even have 1 gear, it has 1 belt and some gooey fluid lol... :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Correct, that was the point I was trying to make. If the ZF trannies are good enough for Honda, they sure should be good enough for Jeep/Chrysler with a significant margin of improvement over in-house developed trannies.

They can still screw up the computer control/programming though, there's always a way to screw itup!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts