Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 S Pathfinder
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience this issue before? Ive Been trying to search in forum, but it appears to Be different issue compared to mine or maybe same im not sure not really technical and stuff,
Had this error like on and off,.
Reported it several time to the dealership and they keep saying “CANT DUPLICATE ISSUE”
Got this since day two of owning but havnt been resolve,. Asking for advice :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
I am pretty sure dealers are not paid by the manufacturer to diagnose vehicles under warranty and they get paid a much lower hourly labor rate to perform warranty repairs.
So unless you have a very good relationship with your dealer or you come across a "nice" one, they won't spend much time looking for something that is not that evident. "Cannot replicate" is a very very common answer when you are under warranty.
I suggest you find a way to replicate the issue and then take it to them, in the morning? when cold? when turning right? etc. Do not let this issue slip otherwise it can fail when you are no longer covered.
I assume the message comes up only when on 4WD - Auto (?), there have been several cases where the magnetic coupler has failed.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
558 Posts
Does it do this when you keep it in 2wd mode instead of auto?

I believe there is a temperature sensor in the rear coupling and nothing on the transfer case.

·
Registered
2018 S Pathfinder
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
. "Cannot replicate" is a very very common answer when you are under warranty.
I suggest you find a way to replicate the issue and then take it to them, in the morning? when cold? when turning right? etc. Do not let this issue slip otherwise it can fail when you are no longer covered.
I assume the message comes up only when on 4WD - Auto (?), there have been several cases where the magnetic coupler has failed
i tried to present a video already on when it happens it happens all season for me already since i owe the vehicle for a year now and have been complaning about this error since day two owning the vehicle inguess i need to start pressing the issue to them and do something about it,.

ill search about this magnetic coupler and mention it to them,.

·
Registered
2018 S Pathfinder
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it do this when you keep it in 2wd mode instead of auto?

I believe there is a temperature sensor in the rear coupling and nothing on the transfer case.
It goes away when i transfer it to 2wd from Auto,. I usually just keep the car on auto not really switching it, and mostly used the “lock” 4wd only on slippery days winter time. But that error msg is annoying and should not be appearing there right?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
I once told the service manager to take my vehicle home with him for the weekend so he could "replicate" my issue. Eventually he didn't but did send a technician on an extended road test.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
558 Posts
Assuming this is a 2018, are you still under power-train warranty? From the sounds of it, your dealer would find something wrong once the warranty is out. A new rear coupling and install is probably $3-4K CAD.

Have you ever noticed any oil spots under the vehicle? Ever service the rear differential or transfer case?

I'd personally pull over, crawl under and feel the rear coupling when this message pops up to see if it feels hot. It's the can shaped thing with the wiring connector on it and it's located between the drive shaft and rear differential assembly. I'd also drain and refill the gear oil on the rear diff just for good measure. They take less than a quart of 75w90 and are simple to do.

I can almost guarantee there's not a Nissan dealer out there that will actually troubleshoot this problem unless it's something grossly obvious like a broken/chewed wire or a plug disconnected. They'll only want to swap out the rear coupling and I get that because I'm sure Nissan says there's no user serviceable parts in them. If they can be made, they can be disassembled, troubleshot and probably repaired.

I know by design you should be able to keep them in auto mode all the time, but having a basic understanding of how this system operates, I would never recommend keeping it there 100% of the time. I do NOT want it to try to kick in unless I'm on snowy or really slippery surface. I try to keep my bride's in 2wd mode during the non winter months.

·
Registered
2018 S Pathfinder
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assuming this is a 2018, are you still under power-train warranty? From the sounds of it, your dealer would find something wrong once the warranty is out. A new rear coupling and install is probably $3-4K CAD.
i still have warranty as ive bought the vehicle as clearance in 2019 of feb,. I will mention this to them as im not really mechanically inclined but i do read alot ill give ittry to see if i can see under or ask help from a mechanic i know to check it,.(which might be my option)

Ill have a read about that awd and 2wd option to be able to have atleast some basic understanding thank you,.

·
Registered
2018 S Pathfinder
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I once told the service manager to take my vehicle home with him for the weekend so he could "replicate" my issue. Eventually he didn't but did send a technician on an extended road test.
ill see and talk to a supervisor and have this issue check again as ive been complaining about this alot since i got the vehicle they already did have the vehicle some days but they cant replicate the issue, and

now a new issue just appeared where my battery just died, my neighbor reported that my vehicle was on hazard and lights were on and off,. But im certain i turn off everything and even the lights inside the vehicle were off as my kids play with them,.
Im having a hunch that a certain wiring or some ground issue that might be causing this or idk im about to go for a 48k service and i will insist on something be done,.

·
Registered
2018 S Pathfinder
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: they looked and well the usual “Cant replicate” but the technician did send out a bulletin or something to nissan as they ahve encountered it with other pathfinder, they said they didnt find anything wrong with the transmission or the coupling no sign of corrosion too, for now they made a note and asked me
To monitor it for now,.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts