Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SV, so my Pathfinder only came with the 4 door speakers and 2 dash tweeters. I have taken the rear lower trim panels off and removed the speaker mask inserts, discovering that a 3.5" speaker will fit perfectly in the opening. (Parfect since the 3.5" will fit in the dash to replace the 2" tweeter!)

The only problem is that I have poured over the part diagrams and I can't for the life of me find the part number for the speaker grill to replace the solid insert that mine came with. The left insert (mask speaker) part number is 84945 3ka**.

Does anyone with the 13 speaker system know what the part number is for the 3rd row speaker covers? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those who are more visually oriented, my car came with these inserts (which are unscrewed from behind, requiring taking out the storage bin and 3rd row seats to access):

Now that I have the panel out, I have a round opening in the plastic backing for a 3.5" speaker, but assume there is a similar plastic cover panel, only with an opening, to give the speaker finished look:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
BTW do you guys know the specs of these speakers and how good or bad they are? I'm the type of person to upgrade all the speakers and tweeters when ever i get a new car,

·
Registered
440 Posts
BTW do you guys know the specs of these speakers and how good or bad they are? I'm the type of person to upgrade all the speakers and tweeters when ever i get a new car,
I don't see the ohm value of the speakers in the 2013 factory manual, but I may have missed it. Usually OEM speakers are 2 ohms, while aftermarket's are 4 ohms, probably by design. I have replaced 2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm speakers in other cars, but don't sue me if they don't work in the Pathfinder.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe we need a comprehensive stereo info and how-to guide?

The quality of the base 6 speaker system is okay, but not great. Really weak magnets throughout, and what appears to be 24 gauge wire everywhere though.

6" (not 6.5") rear door speakers have an abnormally low frequency response, but seem to distort under normal usage at moderate volumes. Might not sound as bad with an HP filter. Standard 2 ohm speakers with 20w max power. Edge of the single driver is about as soft as I've ever seen.

Front tweeters are a non-standard mid-tweeter (roughly 2 1/8") made of the same material and same design as the 6" speakers.

Haven't gotten to the front door 6x9s yet, but guessing they're more of the same.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see the ohm value of the speakers in the 2013 factory manual, but I may have missed it. Usually OEM speakers are 2 ohms, while aftermarket's are 4 ohms, probably by design. I have replaced 2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm speakers in other cars, but don't sue me if they don't work in the Pathfinder.
Infinity Kappas I am putting in claim to be 2 ohm (some report they actually test as 3 ohm) and they are roughly 15% quieter than the stock ones. Wouldn't recommend 4 ohm speakers without an amp.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really, no one can help here?

The service manual clearly indicates that the speaker and cover are separate parts that screw into the large "lower finisher" trim panel:

Yet the Nissan parts site shows the entire panel (with speaker grille or blank cover attached?) as one part, 84950/84951:

This is the only part that differentiates between S/SV/SL and SL Premium/Platinum:

To make matters even more confusing, there is a part number/name on the blank insert I took out that is not referenced anywhere in the parts catalog. Would Nissan really sell only the $100 trim panel that goes from the back door to the liftgate, and not the little 4"x5" panel/grille?

Anyone have experience buying just one piece of a part kit like this from a dealer?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just went out and looked at mine. That rear speaker grille appears to be molded in to the lower finisher. The picture you posted earlier in the thread after you removed the blank is blurry. Is it possible that you already have the grille built in? In that case you would remove the lower finisher and install the speaker from behind. Here is a picture of mine.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Grille Auto part

·
Registered
262 Posts
have you spoken to a dealer. Someone at your local Nissan parts counter should be able to provide more concrete info... Lame suggestion i know but it seems they would be most knowledgeable when it comes to part numbers and what nots...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just went out and looked at mine. That rear speaker grille appears to be molded in to the lower finisher. The picture you posted earlier in the thread after you removed the blank is blurry. Is it possible that you already have the grille built in? In that case you would remove the lower finisher and install the speaker from behind. Here is a picture of mine.

View attachment 1385
Thanks Marz... I really appreciate your help!

The pics above are actually just stock photos, one with and without a speaker in that location. Here is what mine looks like after removing the cover:

There clearly has to be a trim piece that screws in from the rear, which is also shown in the service manual. The speaker mounts to the grille and then the grille is screwed onto the panel from the rear (I think).

Marz, is there a seam near the lip at the edge of the trim piece?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you spoken to a dealer. Someone at your local Nissan parts counter should be able to provide more concrete info... Lame suggestion i know but it seems they would be most knowledgeable when it comes to part numbers and what nots...
That is my next step, I just hate trying to explain what part I'm looking for without knowing the terminology, especially knowing that it isn't shown on the online parts diagram.

I am occasionally pleasantly surprised to find some savant at the dealership that knows everything about every vehicle, but my typical experience is quite the opposite. I guess that may be my only hope in this situation though.

I'd at least like to have some confirmation that the part I'm looking for actually exists, and isn't just molded into the side trim panel (which I'm definitely not paying $200 to replace!)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I will check that rear speaker again for you. It looked to me like the trim piece was molded to the finisher but I may not have looked closely enough. I see what you are saying that it looks like the trim piece is separate (since it can be removed) and is attached from behind the finisher. I wonder if Nissan included the trim piece with the rear speaker?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry it took me a day to get back to this. Upon closer inspection the trim piece we are talking about is not molded in to the side trim panel as I first suggested. It fits so tight I had to slip a piece of paper in the seam to confirm this. But... I too can not seem to find this part in the Nissan Parts catalog.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry it took me a day to get back to this. Upon closer inspection the trim piece we are talking about is not molded in to the side trim panel as I first suggested. It fits so tight I had to slip a piece of paper in the seam to confirm this. But... I too can not seem to find this part in the Nissan Parts catalog.
Thanks... this and the photo was very helpful!

So the parts guy at my local dealer was able to find it (we think) after about 30 minutes of searching, based off the prefix of the cover I removed from my car. The non-Bose left "mask speaker LH" part number is 84945 3ka**. The other option available for that location is 84945 3ja**.

He is ordering the just the left side part in for me to verify it's the correct part before charging me, but it turns out it's $30 for just the one side... so nearly twice as expensive as the 4" Infinity Kappas I'm putting in there! Unfortunately, with the weird shape of the cutout there is absolutely no other cover or grille that you could use there.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an FYI, 4" diameter is the ABSOLUTE max size with HEAVY modification of the opening. There are 4 screws that hold the cover/grille on from the inside, but there are also 4 clips on the cover that anchor the sides in between the screws at the corners.

To get a 4" speaker into this space, you'll have to remove those clips from the grille and widen the opening at the back all the way to the edges of those clip receptors (square holes). The 4" diameter speaker rim will also require modification of the cover, either a spacer or sanding down the inside of the face.

I am guessing that even a slightly smaller diameter (3.5") would leave room for the clips to barely squeeze around the edges and clip into the backing. The stock speaker has a square surround that screws into the cover, then the cover is screwed onto the side panel. Any non-OEM speaker will have to screw into the plastic backing (so don't cut too much out!) without blocking the grille screw holes.

If you aren't positively determined to get a 4" speaker in this location then save yourself a lot of headaches and get a 3.5" (or better yet a 3") instead.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is what a 4" speaker looks like mounted in this location after modifying the plastic backing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The non-Bose left "mask speaker LH" part number is 84945 3ka**. The other option available for that location is 84945 3ja**.

He is ordering the just the left side part in for me to verify it's the correct part....
Yeah, so that wasn't the right part. And the quest continues...

It seems that this part is unique to the 2013-14 Pathfinder, and isn't called out on any of their parts diagrams. Apparently that happens occasionally with the parts documentation on completely new models. So now my part request is getting escalated through the ranks at Nissan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Were you ever able to find the correct part you needed. I ask because I have a 2015 Pathfinder SV that I want to add a pair of speakers in the third row to, but just like you I need this part.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really, no one can help here?

The service manual clearly indicates that the speaker and cover are separate parts that screw into the large "lower finisher" trim panel:

Yet the Nissan parts site shows the entire panel (with speaker grille or blank cover attached?) as one part, 84950/84951:

This is the only part that differentiates between S/SV/SL and SL Premium/Platinum:

To make matters even more confusing, there is a part number/name on the blank insert I took out that is not referenced anywhere in the parts catalog. Would Nissan really sell only the $100 trim panel that goes from the back door to the liftgate, and not the little 4"x5" panel/grille?

Anyone have experience buying just one piece of a part kit like this from a dealer?
you are better off pulling it from junk yard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts