Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ordered our 4x2 Black Platinum after totaling our '10 Murano LE. It took over a month to come in, and then it ended up being a dealer trade instead of the one we ordered. We had to bring it back to have the illuminated kick panels put on as they weren't in stock as promised. We then found that the car seat anchor plastic trim was missing on the two locations in the second row. That took a trip to the dealer just to see the vehicle as my pic wasn't good enough. After all of this, we unfortunately discovered the low speed shudder. I went to the dealer three times wasting my time on this. My final appointment was canceled by the service advisor the morning of, when he said Nissan USA was aware of the problem and had no solution. So this $41,000 plus tax vehicle has been a nightmare from the start.

Trying to be positive, the interior is nice and it rides well. The nav works well and the birds eye view cam is phenomenal. It has more cargo room than the Murano which was our goal in the first place. I really like the remote start and ventilated seats, too.

Now my criticism. We are averaging around 18mpg, with 50% highway driving. The computer says 19.8 mpg, however miles driven divided by gallons pumped wavers between the mid 17's and the mid 18's. We are in FL, so no winter fuel, no warming up, etc. The paint is full of orange peel, probably the worst factory paint job I've ever seen. We have had the power rear hatch not lift, and have had it not close. The rear doors have to really be shut with force to close fully. I think both issues are do to air pressure. I dislike the fact that the auto headlights won't work if the fog lights are on as well. I'd really like Nissan to offer a rear cargo cover like the one they have for the JX. I almost bought the JX version but the wheat color was just too light compared to the Pathfinder's tan interior. Perhaps my biggest disappointment with the car pre-purchase was the fact that I couldn't get the sunroof without the TV package. I DON'T want TV's in my car, so I am without a sunroof. That is stupid, Nissan USA, do you hear me? Another thing I was aware of pre-purchase and disappointed with is there is no HID option. Obviously though, the biggest problem with my Pathfinder is that the transmission is defective.

So overall, if this was December again, there is no way I'd buy the Pathfinder again. I'd recommend waiting until they figure the transmission shudder out before considering it. Go for the Infiniti JX as it uses the older CVT which was flawless in my Murano. The extra cash will be worth it if you have to buy now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 74
We ordered our 4x2 Black Platinum after totaling our '10 Murano LE. It took over a month to come in, and then it ended up being a dealer trade instead of the one we ordered. We had to bring it back to have the illuminated kick panels put on as they weren't in stock as promised. We then found that the car seat anchor plastic trim was missing on the two locations in the second row. That took a trip to the dealer just to see the vehicle as my pic wasn't good enough. After all of this, we unfortunately discovered the low speed shudder. I went to the dealer three times wasting my time on this. My final appointment was canceled by the service advisor the morning of, when he said Nissan USA was aware of the problem and had no solution. So this $41,000 plus tax vehicle has been a nightmare from the start.

Trying to be positive, the interior is nice and it rides well. The nav works well and the birds eye view cam is phenomenal. It has more cargo room than the Murano which was our goal in the first place. I really like the remote start and ventilated seats, too.

Now my criticism. We are averaging around 18mpg, with 50% highway driving. The computer says 19.8 mpg, however miles driven divided by gallons pumped wavers between the mid 17's and the mid 18's. We are in FL, so no winter fuel, no warming up, etc. The paint is full of orange peel, probably the worst factory paint job I've ever seen. We have had the power rear hatch not lift, and have had it not close. The rear doors have to really be shut with force to close fully. I think both issues are do to air pressure. I dislike the fact that the auto headlights won't work if the fog lights are on as well. I'd really like Nissan to offer a rear cargo cover like the one they have for the JX. I almost bought the JX version but the wheat color was just too light compared to the Pathfinder's tan interior. Perhaps my biggest disappointment with the car pre-purchase was the fact that I couldn't get the sunroof without the TV package. I DON'T want TV's in my car, so I am without a sunroof. That is stupid, Nissan USA, do you hear me? Another thing I was aware of pre-purchase and disappointed with is there is no HID option. Obviously though, the biggest problem with my Pathfinder is that the transmission is defective.

So overall, if this was December again, there is no way I'd buy the Pathfinder again. I'd recommend waiting until they figure the transmission shudder out before considering it. Go for the Infiniti JX as it uses the older CVT which was flawless in my Murano. The extra cash will be worth it if you have to buy now.

Sorry to hear about your Path problems. I've heard about the low speed shutter but I'm confused. What exactly do you feel when driving it? I called Nissan, gave them my VIN # and they said that my vehicle had the updated software for my the transmission. Cross my fingers:)

I've got a platinum w/premium pkg...beautiful vehicle with its luxurious appointments. I had two problems when I received it. 1. Front driver heater/cold fan did not work. 2. Clutter sound when closing the front passenger side. I brought it to Nissan and fixed the heater/cold fan (loose plugged) and door (loose bolt on window regulator), however, the Nissan mechanic ruined and scratched interior. So I complained and Nissan will replace the center console and door panel.

Attached is my vehicle and scratched interior.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Path problems. I've heard about the low speed shutter but I'm confused. What exactly do you feel when driving it? I called Nissan, gave them my VIN # and they said that my vehicle had the updated software for my the transmission. Cross my fingers:)
Have you ever driven over rumble strips on the highway? The kind that are designed to wake you up, or alert you to your vehicle drifting off the road?

That's exactly what the shudder feels like. It's a short rumble that you can feel and sometimes hear. It generally happens at very light throttle and typically at slow speeds. The degree to which it does it can vary significantly - sometimes it's fairly subtle, other times you can't miss it.

I don't believe it's specific to any subset of '13 Pathfinders. We see complaints of it with remarkable frequency, so it seems like it effects all of them.... time will tell how Nissan addresses this. But even if they do, I'm not thrilled about the long-term implications for reliability of this CVT, and furthermore, as this seems to be a well-known issue, it WILL have an adverse effect on the resale value of these early Pathfinders.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am at 1200 miles now and after 1 oil change.

NYC stop idle and go, I get 13-15mpg
Normal suburban driving, I get 17-18mpg
Highway, I get 25-26

Do, depending on the mix, I can get decent miles out of it.

I have a AWD by the way, so if you have a 2WD, it should be 1mpg better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, 1stpath, that transmission update has nothing to do with the low speed shudder. The easiest way to experience it is to apply very light throttle going through and coming out of a turn, such as in a neighborhood. Someone who drives a bit aggressively or more "spirited" might see it less, or attribute it to raised pavement markings. My dealer has recorded the event on a another customers Pathfinder using a recording device they had the customer drive around with until it happened. Hopefully your vehicle will be less afflicted. it looks like you have the black and tan as well. I really wanted the sunroof, but the TVs were a no go, as I am very adamant on TV viewing time for my 2 year old, and that was a fight I didn't want every time we got in the car to go to the grocery store or school.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately, 1stpath, that transmission update has nothing to do with the low speed shudder. The easiest way to experience it is to apply very light throttle going through and coming out of a turn, such as in a neighborhood. Someone who drives a bit aggressively or more "spirited" might see it less, or attribute it to raised pavement markings. My dealer has recorded the event on a another customers Pathfinder using a recording device they had the customer drive around with until it happened. Hopefully your vehicle will be less afflicted. it looks like you have the black and tan as well. I really wanted the sunroof, but the TVs were a no go, as I am very adamant on TV viewing time for my 2 year old, and that was a fight I didn't want every time we got in the car to go to the grocery store or school.
Thanks for the quick answer. I will definitely try the light throttle through a turn. Now I'm wondering if I should have waited a little longer. Nissan needs to fix this problem before they start loosing prospective customers. This is my 1st Nissan and I chose a Path. Now time will tell if this Path will be reliable. The color is dark slate and almond interior.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my first post but figured I'd chime in. My wife and I bought our 4x2 SL w/Premium on 3/9 and it now has 70 miles on it. She called me on her way to work to let me know she noticed a shudder like you mentioned. We're taking it back to the dealer on Friday so I'll try to keep everyone posted. This dealer treated us exceptionally well on our Maxima so let's hope it continues.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
This is my first post but figured I'd chime in. My wife and I bought our 4x2 SL w/Premium on 3/9 and it now has 70 miles on it. She called me on her way to work to let me know she noticed a shudder like you mentioned. We're taking it back to the dealer on Friday so I'll try to keep everyone posted. This dealer treated us exceptionally well on our Maxima so let's hope it continues.
Yes, please do.

My first service was actually scheduled for tomorrow, but since I haven't hit the 3750 mile mark yet, I postponed it. I intend to have them at least try to address the shudder then and hopefully they'll have some kind of TSB that I'm not aware of.

In the meantime, it seems at least one member has had parts ordered, so perhaps there is something they can do now?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually just spoke with her and ours is doing something different. She says it feels like it's out of alignment or the front left wheel isn't balanced. Could have sworn she mentioned a shudder but she said no.

Also I'm jealous cwa107, I'm jealous of your color. It's the one I wanted (or black) but the wife wanted white. Not a fan haha.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I actually just spoke with her and ours is doing something different. She says it feels like it's out of alignment or the front left wheel isn't balanced. Could have sworn she mentioned a shudder but she said no.
Ah, OK. I'd definitely have them look at it. I could swear mine is slightly out of alignment from the factory (more specifically, the steering wheel seems slightly off-centered), so it wouldn't surprise me.

Also I'm jealous cwa107, I'm jealous of your color. It's the one I wanted (or black) but the wife wanted white. Not a fan haha.
Yeah, I kinda like it - it was a luck of the draw kind of thing, they had this and a red one on the lot that were identically equipped. I went with this one because I preferred the black interior over the tan in the red PF. However, had they had a blue one (in the same trim), I would have opted for that.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Now my criticism. We are averaging around 18mpg, with 50% highway driving. The computer says 19.8 mpg, however miles driven divided by gallons pumped wavers between the mid 17's and the mid 18's. We are in FL, so no winter fuel, no warming up, etc.

I'd say with most new cars the mileage is pretty bad for the first 10,000miles. After that it really seems to stable out and get better. If not there is something wrong.

The paint is full of orange peel, probably the worst factory paint job I've ever seen.

Actually I shopped around to Mazda, Honda, Toyota, even Lexus and Acura and the orange peel was insanely bad. I think this is because people simply do not care about the quality of paint anymore so manufacturers are taking advantage of this. You rarely hear the term orange peel anymore.

We have had the power rear hatch not lift, and have had it not close. The rear doors have to really be shut with force to close fully. I think both issues are do to air pressure. I dislike the fact that the auto headlights won't work if the fog lights are on as well. I'd really like Nissan to offer a rear cargo cover like the one they have for the JX. I almost bought the JX version but the wheat color was just too light compared to the Pathfinder's tan interior. Perhaps my biggest disappointment with the car pre-purchase was the fact that I couldn't get the sunroof without the TV package. I DON'T want TV's in my car, so I am without a sunroof. That is stupid, Nissan USA, do you hear me? Another thing I was aware of pre-purchase and disappointed with is there is no HID option.

I agree with all of the above. The packaging needs to be better and there are minor issues that could be fixed - I don't think they are deal breakers though. Many other cars have their own set of annoyances. No car is perfect.

Obviously though, the biggest problem with my Pathfinder is that the transmission is defective.

Hopefully there is a solution for oour transmission. It seems like some owners don't notice or have the problem where as others do.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Actually I shopped around to Mazda, Honda, Toyota, even Lexus and Acura and the orange peel was insanely bad. I think this is because people simply do not care about the quality of paint anymore so manufacturers are taking advantage of this. You rarely hear the term orange peel anymore.
Ford is particularly bad. I looked closely at the Edge when I was shopping and ultimately opted for the PF. HORRIBLE orange peel, all colors.

I don't see much, if any orange peel on my PF (Dark Slate).

I'm going to guess and say that fortycalglock is rocking a Super Black PF. If that's true, it's probably specific to that color. Black is notoriously difficult to lay down without defect. It's so highly reflective that any imperfections show. Yet another reason to avoid it, in case you didn't have enough already ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi

stpath, that transmission update has nothing to try to to with the low speed shudder. the simplest thanks to expertise it's to use Very light throttle researching and starting of a flip, like in an exceedingly neighborhood. somebody WHO drives a little sharply or a lot of "spirited" would possibly see it less, or attribute it to raised pavement markings. My dealer has recorded the event on a another clients expert employing a recording device they'd the customer drive around with till it happened. Hopefully your vehicle are going to be less afflicted. it's such as you have the black and tan still. i actually wished the sunshine-roof, however the TVs were a no go, as i'm terribly adamant on TV viewing time for my two year recent, which was a fight I did not need each time we have a tendency to dawned the automotive to travel to the grocery or college.
---------------
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also had the similar shudder at low speeds. Had the issue i think since day one, but was not consciously looking for it. I brought it in and the service tech hooked up a data recorder and sent the data files to Nissan. The finding was a bad TCM module and Torque converter. Both units were replaced . It took a couple of days to fix as they had to wait for the parts. Just got my car back 2 days ago - SHUDDER IS GONE ! Will just wait and see how this performs, but it runs very good right now, so far about 200 miles and very promising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to add to my previous comment, data recorder was hooked and I test drove the car with the service tech . I was able to replicate the issue during the test drive so the data was captured and sent to Nissan for analysis.

·
Registered
70 Posts
stpath, that transmission update has nothing to try to to with the low speed shudder. the simplest thanks to expertise it's to use Very light throttle researching and starting of a flip, like in an exceedingly neighborhood. somebody WHO drives a little sharply or a lot of "spirited" would possibly see it less, or attribute it to raised pavement markings. My dealer has recorded the event on a another clients expert employing a recording device they'd the customer drive around with till it happened. Hopefully your vehicle are going to be less afflicted. it's such as you have the black and tan still. i actually wished the sunshine-roof, however the TVs were a no go, as i'm terribly adamant on TV viewing time for my two year recent, which was a fight I did not need each time we have a tendency to dawned the automotive to travel to the grocery or college.
---------------

what's going on there? Different language?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
what's going on there? Different language?
Spam - best to just report it.

Notice the link - that is dropped in a thread related to SUVs so that when it's indexed by search engines, it helps to build more records of the URL. This is called "Search Engine Optimization" (SEO) and is a common tactic of forum spammers.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
it's the secret code language of the ancient tribe of SUV hunters that were thought extinct thousands of years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Just got back from a trip from PA to FL and back. All told, we now have a little over 6000 miles on our PF.

Average fuel economy was 22MPG for the whole trip. I wasn't exactly pleased, but considering we were going 80MPH for long stretches with a full load of kids and luggage, I guess it wasn't that bad. When the speeds were around 70MPH, F/E shot up to around 24MPG, so the speeds were definitely a factor.

This trip was pretty eye opening for us. Both my wife and I found the PF to be HORRIBLE to drive at high speeds. It just didn't track well, particularly under windy conditions. It's a very "busy" experience, keeping the PF in its lane. I'm not sure if this is a problem specific to my PF, or if it's just a characteristic of the shape/design of this vehicle, but it was definitely a noticeable problem.

We noticed a lot of wind noise too and the hood was shaking significantly. I went ahead and took the roof rack crossbars off as I'm wondering if this didn't contribute to drag/noise. I'm also going to take it back into the dealer for another inspection of the suspension, wheel bearings, hood latch (the last time I took it in at 3500 miles, they said they couldn't find any problems).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got back from a trip from PA to FL and back. All told, we now have a little over 6000 miles on our PF.

Average fuel economy was 22MPG for the whole trip. I wasn't exactly pleased, but considering we were going 80MPH for long stretches with a full load of kids and luggage, I guess it wasn't that bad. When the speeds were around 70MPH, F/E shot up to around 24MPG, so the speeds were definitely a factor.

This trip was pretty eye opening for us. Both my wife and I found the PF to be HORRIBLE to drive at high speeds. It just didn't track well, particularly under windy conditions. It's a very "busy" experience, keeping the PF in its lane. I'm not sure if this is a problem specific to my PF, or if it's just a characteristic of the shape/design of this vehicle, but it was definitely a noticeable problem.

We noticed a lot of wind noise too and the hood was shaking significantly. I went ahead and took the roof rack crossbars off as I'm wondering if this didn't contribute to drag/noise. I'm also going to take it back into the dealer for another inspection of the suspension, wheel bearings, hood latch (the last time I took it in at 3500 miles, they said they couldn't find any problems).
This is disappointing. We just took a trip from north Texas to Destin last year, and we were lamenting how nice the PF would have been. Our 2008 Equinox was small, but it ran like a dream even with 75K on it. We'll be taking a trip to Shreveport soon (3 hour drive one way) so I'll be interested to see the difference in the highway ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts