Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My vehicle is still holding up, I drive down a dirt road religiously every day and those springs make titties bounce. I wish I could add in an extra set of shock absorbers for the front suspension but where put them is the problem. It's slightly lower in the front than the rear. But the max payload for the rear is definitely better than stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My vehicle is still holding up, I drive down a dirt road religiously every day and those springs make titties bounce. I wish I could add in an extra set of shock absorbers for the front suspension but where put them is the problem. It's slightly lower in the front than the rear. But the max payload for the rear is definitely better than stock.
Hey Benjamin, awesome build. How has all of this change your gas mileage?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey Benjamin, awesome build. How has all of this change your gas mileage?
honestly i noticed worse gas mileage every time i went up in tire size, keep in mind this vehicle has a transmission with a low amount of torque. I seriously doubt 4.5 inches is enough to seriously affect gas mileage.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Keep documenting your build, you are the first member I know of that has taken the challenge to lift an R52. What you are sharing will help others to follow.
After searching for other vehicles and trucks, spacing the subframe further away from the body seems to be the less technical way of lifting this vehicle further. But I shun the use of poly spacers on the body as it won't be fun replacing when they wear out. Some good ole steel block spacers or something of a more solid substrate should be much better, and more reliable too. This will also correct the camber in the rear as well. I know I have talked about this numerous times but I believe I should seriously consider doing this, at least for the rear suspension.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The struts are the same on all R52 models, but I wouldn't use the custom struts it's a waste and they don't fit with the springs and leveling kit, I mean u could force them in there but then youd have excessive stress on the front suspension, also please read the entire thread as there are multiple advisories. As for the leveling kit here is one on eBay. I have not found a solution yet for the sway links yet other then buying heavy duty ones, they bind up and will click when turning the wheels at low speeds.

The custom struts I attempted to use offer the advantage of fitting larger diameter tires, however as I have discovered there are some structural parts of the vehicle that are in the way and it's more trouble than it's worth $$$.
The custom struts would fit if the front subframe was spaced out to account for the taller struts...I regret cutting mine after I paid so much for them, shoulda kept the factory ones because when I come up with a solution for the subframe then I'm going to regret that move...sigh but I could always pay a welder to extend it again ?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So the suspension angles are fine apparently as I discovered and fixed the awful noise my car was making so no need to use subframe spacers.

My next issue is solving my alignment issues, they are only off by marginal amounts and I've thought up numerous ways, all which cost entirely too much money or are way too complex to pull off. So I've come up with an easier and cheaper way to fix my rear alignment, the lateral arm and spring seat bushings will be drilled, burned whatever it takes to remove the rubber inside them without removing the actual bushing. I will offset the center and fill them with liquid polyurethane. This will allow the factory adjustment bolts on these to be more exaggerated. The more complicated issue is the wheel is not centered in the wheel well the radius arm or rod is a fixed position, I could do the same for the bushing in that arm as well. This also causes the spring to not move up an down in a straight fashion.

As for what hardness the rubber needs to be I have not a clue, anyone with experience would be of great help.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
rear bushings

I am remembering my old 2002 mitsubishi galant I had several years ago, the front motor mount was worn out, my cheap solution use window sealant from 3M to solidify the mount and gain torque. My solution to correct the camber alignment in the rear is to pull out the rear bushings cut an offset into them (if they are wide enough to do so and then fill them with the 3M sealant, which should help in camber adjustment, and as the lack of support from third party manufacturers is appalling for this vehicle Its up to ingenuity to save the day. BTW the front camber bolt kit did hardly anything to adjust, what did work is moving the lower strut bolt inward and overtorquing it, unless they undid my camber adjustment upon trying to fix the alignment at the shop.
I knew I had mentioned it somewhere lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE: 50mm lifted struts

These should prove useful in achieving my desired ground clearance and maybe an inch more, the only problem I may run into now is CV axle clearance and related linkage clearance.

So to recap height increases assuming all goes well and safe, we have:

50mm kit (extended struts+rear cup lifts)
30mm kit (polyurethane spacers)
30mm springs (dobinsons)

total of about 4.3 inches of lift plus tire sizes equals about 5 inches total. The stock height or ground clearance for the R52 is about 6 inches. I am well aware that the rear cups and spacers may not stack safely so gonna stick my wallet out there and take one for the team.I may be able to correct the cv axle issue by getting some extensions on the bottom of the strut to bring the axle angle up some.

Another note to add here in this math is that this is the total height of the components being added not the actual height the vehicle will be lifted.
UPDATE: 50mm lifted struts

These should prove useful in achieving my desired ground clearance and maybe an inch more, the only problem I may run into now is CV axle clearance and related linkage clearance.

So to recap height increases assuming all goes well and safe, we have:

50mm kit (extended struts+rear cup lifts)
30mm kit (polyurethane spacers)
30mm springs (dobinsons)

total of about 4.3 inches of lift plus tire sizes equals about 5 inches total. The stock height or ground clearance for the R52 is about 6 inches. I am well aware that the rear cups and spacers may not stack safely so gonna stick my wallet out there and take one for the team.I may be able to correct the cv axle issue by getting some extensions on the bottom of the strut to bring the axle angle up some.

Another note to add here in this math is that this is the total height of the components being added not the actual height the vehicle will be lifted.
I am looking at your post and I am going in the same route as yours but I am only looking at the dobinsons spring and 30mm spacer, with just this parts for lifting my r52 will the stock shocks be sufficient enough? or I still need to upgrade to a taller shocks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I am looking at your post and I am going in the same route as yours but I am only looking at the dobinsons spring and 30mm spacer, with just this parts for lifting my r52 will the stock shocks be sufficient enough? or I still need to upgrade to a taller shocks.
Youll need to find longer/taller ones so the suspension doesn't overextend the stock shocks

41 - 49 of 49 Posts