Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am attempting to get my PF as high as I can get it, I am hoping to achieve at least 1ft of ground clearance. Currently I have installed polyurethane spacers or a leveling kit of 30mm, my experience...just buy longer shock absorbers in the rear don't use the shock extender bolt extensions they will break and your absorber will end up inside your rim as i experienced. The spacers are a pain in the butt but they do work, having the most trouble in the front, also noted is that I opted for grade 8 bolts from lowes because the ones in the kit looked like they would snap...and they did. I will post pictures as the project develops. Also to note my CV boot RH side is ruptured not sure how but I drive a lot...I mean A LOT!! So any suggestions as to the correlation between that and my lift efforts would be appreciated.

as for the parts the kit for the 30mm spacers is found on amazon.

https://www.universalcarlifts.com/p...ift-kit-struts-infinity-qx60-22-28-inch-rims/
https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/product-category/nissan/pathfinder-r52-2013/

I purchased dobinsons springs front and rear with added load capacity in the front and rear with a 30mm raised height as well for the checkout options. (I will update when they come in the mail)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
UPDATE: 50mm lifted struts

These should prove useful in achieving my desired ground clearance and maybe an inch more, the only problem I may run into now is CV axle clearance and related linkage clearance.

So to recap height increases assuming all goes well and safe, we have:

50mm kit (extended struts+rear cup lifts)
30mm kit (polyurethane spacers)
30mm springs (dobinsons)

total of about 4.3 inches of lift plus tire sizes equals about 5 inches total. The stock height or ground clearance for the R52 is about 6 inches. I am well aware that the rear cups and spacers may not stack safely so gonna stick my wallet out there and take one for the team.I may be able to correct the cv axle issue by getting some extensions on the bottom of the strut to bring the axle angle up some.

Another note to add here in this math is that this is the total height of the components being added not the actual height the vehicle will be lifted.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry mobile upload lol.

The second photo here shows the shock absorbers I installed a few weeks ago. The are load adjusting shock absorbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear Springs are on Back order but getting the front end up should happen as soon as I get the new struts in. I have called the place that I ordered the struts from, they use Monroe struts and modify them with a custom job per order so there is delay when shipping, I would hope they do a test fit on a model before shipping. I am skeptical about the rear cups as I believe they adapt for a spacer rather than be the spacer themselves though he gave me an attitude on the phone when I could not understand whether they were made to fit perfectly. They state that unless spring measurements are given the provide a universal one that I can cut myself though I'm not going to be too excited about cutting a hunk of steel or even aluminum for that matter. If I have to I will send measurements so they can make them for me though I get the idea I will have to pay for that myself. I have high hopes for the front end lift, the back end is where I'm worried that the spacers won't be able to stay in place or stack safely. If you want an easy lift of about 4 inches I would recommend that you omit the rubber spacers I purchased on Amazon as they are a real PITA.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: Installing rear springs

Springs came in today here are the photos, I will change out the rears and post today the results. I have to wait on the extended struts before I do the front, that and the front requires extra hands I don't have.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the results of the rear which most here have seen with the Robinson's springs nothing special however I have an additional 1.2 inches with my spacers, there will be an additional 3 inches after I get the strut kit. To note: the higher we go up the more inward the tires are pulled but putting wheel spacers would destroy the bearings on the wheel so I will not be doing so but the tires have plenty of space in the rear. 3 inches more to go!

As far as handling she does not bounce much in the caboose so no more twerking for her lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Control arms and alignment issues

The issue ive been pondering is aligning the rear wheels after the lift, if anyone has any ideas how to correct the alignment to as close to factory spec as possible that would be appreciated. I do not have much more adjustment left in the rear and the front struts have been redesigned to compensate for at least 3 inches of lift for camber angle. My best idea I have is getting a custom shop to create longer control arms since they do not exist on the market or...any aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Benjamin! Great thread and build man! I've subscribed!

I'll have a lot of questions for you but for now I'll just watch and try to learn.

Thanks for posting and sharing.

Ryan

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have the extended struts now here is a picture, the other is the lift cups for the rear Springs. The weather is wet and cold today, but my perseverance may tell me to suit up we will see....

UPDATE: **** with putting them springs in there lol I took it to a shop will post results tomorrow when I get the vehicle back, before and after alignment. I will be installing the rear cups myself as I am not sure whether the springs will be stable with the leveling kit installed as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NOTE: Front springs

The dobinsons springs do sit in the strut grooves however the base of the strut is wider than the spring, so it looks weird, here's to hoping she goes up tomorrow...

Also replacing strut mount recommended while you're in there for all you DIYers, unless you have a new Pathy. Also be sure to save your spring seats unless you love grinding noises lol. I will ask the shop if I can do a ride along in the back tomorrow to see how everything goes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Struts do not fit with all the crap I put into them, they only fit with stock springs and no leveling kit. So we cut the struts to factory height and left it with the dobinsons springs and leveling kit. Serious control arm modification is required to do what I attempted now we all know here at the forum. I stuck my wallet out here for y'all your welcome. Still satisfied because I will have raised it as high as the components will let me.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's a completed look, this is springs and a level kit on 255/55R20 tires. I can now get bigger tires though so a whole inch of tire diameter should help my pipe dream a little bit.
It looks great! Thanks for taking one for the team. So to clarify that is dobinsons with amazon spacers and stock struts? Sorry if I missed it.

Also, what roof rack do you have? Now you need to tuck that exhaust up under the frame.:24:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks great! Thanks for taking one for the team. So to clarify that is dobinsons with amazon spacers and stock struts? Sorry if I missed it.

Also, what roof rack do you have? Now you need to tuck that exhaust up under the frame.:24:
I have a roof rack from walmart, I suggest you look elsewhere as I have issues with it slipping around. But yes to clarify my lift consists of stock struts with dobinsons springs (load increase and 30mm raised type, there is a difference when you are browsing), and a 30mm leveling kit from amazon. BUY 10.9 GRADE BOLTS FOR THE LEVELING KIT, DO NOT USE THE GRADE 8 ONES THAT COME WITH THE KIT! You have been warned. and for petes sake buy longer shock absorbers for the rear as well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Continuing the project

This is a stock photo of our subframe where the front lower control arm attaches. I will attempt to find a welder who can modify the subframe in a way that allows more articulation of the stock control arms, which will mean longer tie rod ends, but hey it has to be done for such a drastic extension. As for the ball joint I can think of several ways to achieve results there. This is just speculation and it may be a while before I attempt as I am recovering from the financial venture I just endured so until next time friends this is the future of my endeavors.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rear bushings

I am remembering my old 2002 mitsubishi galant I had several years ago, the front motor mount was worn out, my cheap solution use window sealant from 3M to solidify the mount and gain torque. My solution to correct the camber alignment in the rear is to pull out the rear bushings cut an offset into them (if they are wide enough to do so and then fill them with the 3M sealant, which should help in camber adjustment, and as the lack of support from third party manufacturers is appalling for this vehicle Its up to ingenuity to save the day. BTW the front camber bolt kit did hardly anything to adjust, what did work is moving the lower strut bolt inward and overtorquing it, unless they undid my camber adjustment upon trying to fix the alignment at the shop.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One more inch in the rear before I get some custom rear camber work done, I used the steel spacer cups in the rear as stacking the rubber and metal spacers is not safe, matter of fact they don't stack at all lol. We have t-rex control arms on our vehicles lol.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts