Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

2017 Pathfinder 'S' here ...

Before:

After:

The original running gear is listed as:
18 x 7.5 w/ +50 offset, 66.1 centerbore, and 235 x 65 tires (30.2 x 9.3)

The new are:
20 x 10 w/ +10 offset, 78mm centerbore, and 295 x 45 tires (30.5 x 11.6)

I assumed that there would be some 'massaging' of the wheelwells required ... removing mudflaps and strategic application of a heatgun gave the required clearance on the front (the rear needed no adjustment).
What I couldn't verify ahead of time, and didn't notice with the initial fit-up, was caliper clearance.

... continued ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

I picked up a pair of 5/16" wheel spacers at the local parts store, but I was left with just enough stud showing to make me think that I could get a lug nut started ... I couldn't - not even 1 thread of engagement.

Longer studs are always an option to make the spacers work, but that sounded like more work than I was prepared to take on.

Fortunately, the interference was slight - so an angle grinder & 'flapper-wheel' were enough to create clearance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Put about 80 miles on the ol' girl today & only rubbed twice ... with the wheel turned, a bump just right ... just enough to let me know I pushed the limits on stock suspension, but not so much that I think further adjustment is required.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,304 Posts
The original running gear is listed as:
18 x 7.5 w/ +50 offset, 66.1 centerbore, and 235 x 65 tires (30.2 x 9.3)

The new are:
20 x 10 w/ +10 offset, 78mm centerbore, and 295 x 45 tires (30.5 x 11.6)
Your setup looks great, but I would be concerned about that wide difference in centerbore. Were you able to find concentric rings that big? Do you notice any steering wheel vibration?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had wheels in the past that weren't lug-centric & that's not the kind of detail an online retailer gives you, so I ordered a set of hubcentric rings, cut to spec., from uswheeladpaters.com ... they should be in tomorrow's mail.

These wheels ARE setup to be lug-centric, though - so I was comfortable running without the adapters today.

Only the slightest of vibration today, from the right front - probably where my 'adjustment' for caliper clearance knocked that one out of balance.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,424 Posts
I love how it looks.
Does it rub when fully turning with the suspension compressed? i.e. turning into an inclined driveway
Are you looking to add fender flares? With the tire sticking out, your PF must now get dirty really fast. Also, in some states you might not pass a safety inspection, not sure about TN.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yessir - it's rubbed a few times under the right conditions. Nothing too alarming though - it's a much tamer sound than the jarring noise of mud terrain lugs catching sheet metal!

I'll be pulling the wheels this weekend to install those hubcentric rings, so I'll snap some pictures of where the contact has been happening. Hopefully I can adjust the plastics enough to eliminate all rubbing, I wonder if the Dobinson +30mm springs wouldn't make all the difference, too.

No requirement for flares to cover the poke here in Tennessee, but I know that's a law elsewhere. I do have some universal flares in a wish list online somewhere - I may end up installing some before I'm done.

The extra dirt is just the price to be paid for the wide tire look - I'm not the type who keeps his ride spotless anyway.

Thanks for the input! I hope this thread helps someone in the future who's thinking of doing something similar.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Its incredible the night and day difference wheels make on vehicles like the PF. That setup looks great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks oz!

I was surprised how much difference they made in the overall appearance.

Now if only we could lift these bad boys a few inches!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
570 Posts
I wonder how this will effect the suspension long term. This puts a lot more force on the knuckles/spindles. It does look cool though.

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
That is the price to pay for better looks.
Adding heavier tires and changing the offset will make everything wear faster, bearings, bushings, brakes, acceleration takes a hit, fuel economy drops... but it looks great !

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,304 Posts
Kinda like my wife with her high heels... painful but stylish!

Reactions: jman and RZ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rub report:

Here’s a quick snapshot of the right front wheelwell ...I’m taking a break before getting in there to see if I can adjust my way out of the rub.

As a side-note, the hubcentric rings fit great - I recommend the folks out of Texas who made them!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am sorry, but every time a see a nice car with custom wheels... I cringe. If it's a young adult driving $3000 car with custom wheels and a loud muffler - fine, he's just showing off (in his mind he thinks he looks like a million bucks). But when I see a BMW or a Mercedes with custom wheels, I am sorry, they just look ugly. There's nothing more beautiful than good original alloy rims.

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
To each their own, if we all liked the same stuff there will only be one brand/type of car out there and all the same color.
My daily driver is a lowered SHO with custom wheels and a custom Corsa exhaust and I am almost 50. I can assure you I do not care if other people think I am showing off or not, I like how it sounds and the extra "0.75 hp" I gained from it.
Age doesn't define what we like or not but it should define how we react to what surrounds us.

In this case, I like how these wheels look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts