Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

2022 Pathfinder Speaker and Wire Information (Without BOSE audio system)

13K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  TeeCue 
#1 ·
I've been looking at the service manual for the 2022 PF and so far, here's what I've found on the factory speakers and wiring. This may vary by model and trim. Sharing in case anyone else is looking for this info to help with upgrading the speakers on the models without BOSE audio system. Maybe something we can build on?

Note - Use this information at your own risk. Not responsible for any damage if this is not accurate or varies for your model PF. If you're not sure, consult a professional.

Font Material property Screenshot Number Rectangle

Instrument Panel Tweeter
Font Circle Auto part Pattern Drawing

Front Door Speaker
Circle Jewellery Rectangle Auto part Font

Rear Door Speaker
Font Circle Auto part Automotive tire Art

If you've already upgraded your factory speakers on the 22 PF, please share pics and details on the components used and any other installation considerations. From what I can tell, looks like the Dash Tweeters are still 4 ohm and the door speakers (front/rear) are 2 ohm. If true, something to keep in mind as most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm.

Looking forward to hearing about what others are upgrading to. :geek:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Update - Today I took the plunge and ordered JBL speakers to upgrade the dash, front door and rear door speakers.

Speakers:
Dash - JBL Club (3/4) - 3 ohm
Front Door: JBL GTO939 (6x9) - 3 ohm
Rear Door: JBL GTO629 (6.5) - 3 ohm

Wire Adapters:
Metra Nissan Speaker Wire Adapter (72-7401) - Front/Rear Door (Confirmed)
Metra Nissan Speaker Wire Adapter (72-7400) - Dash (Tentative)

Rear Doors - Pretty straight forward as far as removing the door panel trim. Remove (3) screws, pop out the surrounding clips, slide up and out to release. Unplug door window switch wire and you're good to go.

Factory Speaker (Rear Right):
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Camera lens Motor vehicle Automotive design

If you owned a previous gen PF, that speaker and the connector should look very familiar to you. ;)

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Fender

Apologies, I didn't get a pic of the new speaker mounted, but it was a perfect fit!

TIP - I used the Metra 82-7400 Speaker Adapter was a great fit. As the factory wire plugs into the side of the speaker, I opted to drill a hole in the speaker adapter and ran the adapter wires through it. No need to drill holes in the door to run the wire with this approach.

Results - As I replaced the factory rear door (2 ohm) speakers with 3 ohm JBLs, I lost a little volume (to be expected), but the clarity gained really makes up for the slight volume loss. Very happy with the result.

Front Doors - Drum roll.... It was a very hard fail. Sadly, although the factory speaker is a 6x9, it's a very shallow 6x9 speaker. The quality is TERRIBLE. Let me say it again, the quality of the factory 6x9 is TERRIBLE.
The JBL GTO939 was not even close to fitting.

Front Door (Driver):
Automotive tire Flash photography Camera accessory Motor vehicle Camera lens

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

Product Motor vehicle Helmet Bag Automotive design

If you're thinking, a 6x9 factory speaker was in there!? Yes, a very shallow 6x9 and again TERRIBLE quality.

Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel Rim Automotive design

To give you a better sense, here's what the JBL looked like...

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Not even close!

It was getting late so paused the installation so I can explore next steps for the front door speakers. Here's where I'm at, so far...

1. I can try to find a bracket that will mirror the factory placement and maybe only have to bend back or cut some of the metal (not ideal)...
  2. I can try a pair of non JBL shallow speakers. I believe PowerBass makes a 2 ohm set, but really wanted to keep JBL all around for the speaker upgrade...
  3. Tear out the factory speaker from the bracket and use it as a makeshift bracket for the JBL speaker (also not ideal)...
Any other suggestions?

As far as the dash speakers goes, I need to wait for an adapter plate that I believe is going to be an exact fit making that install very straight-forward too. More on that one.

#5 ·
It was a productive afternoon. 🤓

Front Doors - I contacted a couple of local shops and one of them suggested a 6x9 speaker bracket/spacer available for the Nissan Titan front door that might just do the trick. Unfortunately, they won't arrive until Thursday. I'll report back once I get it and can do a test fit. If that doesn't work, they offered to build a pair of custom brackets at a reasonable cost.

In case you're curious, here's the Nissan Titan bracket that was recommended...

Metra 82-7402 Speaker Adapter Brackets

Dash Speakers - Pulling the front dash grill was very straight-forward and took about a minute with a pry tool. With the tool, gently pry up across the entire front edge of the grill to release the clips. Once all are undone, gently pull up and towards you in a 45 degree angle to unhook from the glass edge and free the grill.

Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades Gas

Here's the speaker...

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Car subwoofer Motor vehicle Studio monitor

It should look very familiar coming from a previous gen PF. The speaker is held down by (3) 8mm/phillips screws.

Tip: I picked up a tiny wrench like the following to make quick work of removing these bolts as standard tools will be limited in this space.

Tool Ratchet Wrench Hand tool Nickel

Here's a couple of close-up pics of the speaker...

Product Electronic instrument Car subwoofer Output device Audio equipment

Data storage device Font Hard disk drive Computer hardware Circle

Unfortunately, the Metra 72-7400 connector I picked up for the dash tweeters was not compatible (too big). Here's a pic of the actual connector, which is much smaller...

Magenta Plastic Cable Electrical supply Auto part

I spliced into the wires and made quick work of wiring the JBL CLUB 3412s. I used one of the included mounting brackets which made the install a breeze. Here's a pic of the JBLs mounted in the factory dash location...

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Carbon Bumper

Very clean! They are also very tiny as you can see.

Result: OMG, what a difference these made to the overall sound and center-stage. IMHO, well worth upgrading from the factory speakers. These are 3 ohm and volume feels just right for these. Hopefully I can sort through the front door install issue to really complete the setup. 😎

#6 ·
Much to my delight, the Metra 82-7402 speaker bracket kit for the Nissan Titan was a great fit for the front doors!

Note - Depending on your choice of aftermarket 6x9 speakers and how deep they are, you may have to use the half-inch adapter ring that comes packaged with most new speakers (with the bracket). The factory speakers have (4) 10mm bolts holding them in place.

Also, considering it's a new vehicle, the glue on the foam ring around the factory speaker base was still fresh, so I was able to carefully peal it off and re-use it with the new speaker brackets.

JBL 6x9s installed with the Metra bracket...

Automotive tire Camera lens Reflex camera Automotive lighting Camera accessory

Pardon the rogue screw (top-right). Apparently JBL 6x9 speakers and the holes in the bracket didn't line up 100%. I ended up drilling a new hole in the bracket for a snug fit.

In case you're wondering, apparently Nissan wrapped an extra connector to the speaker wire at the factory. Not sure what it's for as the BOSE configuration doesn't have a tweeter on the front doors (at this time).

In the end, it was a clean install and the best part, the JBLs sound GREAT with minimal volume loss! I hope this helps anyone else looking to upgrade the factory speakers too. :geek:

#7 ·
Awesome and excellent information.
If I may - this is a summary of your build, right?
Would you do anything different in retrospect?
It seems the tweeter upgrade if you had to do only one single thing, made the biggest impact?

Parts:
Dash Speakers: JBL Club (3/4) - 3 ohm
Front Door Speakers: JBL GTO939 (6x9) - 3 ohm
Rear Door Speakers: JBL GTO629 (6.5) - 3 ohm
Front/Rear Door Wire Adapters: Metra 72-7401
Rear Door Adaptor Bracket: Metra 82-7400
Front Door Adaptor Bracket: Metra 82-7402 (from Nissan Titan)

Install issues:
-Front Door has major space constraints, brackets and spacing need to be considered but was no issue with above parts.
-Unaware of front dash tweeter wire adaptor that would work, tweeter wiring required splicing to existing wire adaptor.
-Minor speaker hole/bracket alignment issues, easily managed if someone is DIY capable.

#8 ·
Awesome and excellent information.
If I may - this is a summary of your build, right?
Would you do anything different in retrospect?
It seems the tweeter upgrade if you had to do only one single thing, made the biggest impact?

Parts:
Dash Speakers: JBL Club (3/4) - 3 ohm
Front Door Speakers: JBL GTO939 (6x9) - 3 ohm
Rear Door Speakers: JBL GTO629 (6.5) - 3 ohm
Front/Rear Door Wire Adapters: Metra 72-7401
Rear Door Adaptor Bracket: Metra 82-7400
Front Door Adaptor Bracket: Metra 82-7402 (from Nissan Titan)

Install issues:
-Front Door has major space constraints, brackets and spacing need to be considered but was no issue with above parts.
-Unaware of front dash tweeter wire adaptor that would work, tweeter wiring required splicing to existing wire adaptor.
-Minor speaker hole/bracket alignment issues, easily managed if someone is DIY capable.
Thanks! It was a lot of research and trial to get at what ultimately became my build. lol My goal was to keep it as simple as possible using adapters to connect to the factory wires (when possible) and splicing to a minimum. I'm sure I missed something and why I hope this thread can help others and serve as a reference for other builds/configurations.

I think the most immediate bang for buck was upgrading the tweeters and rear doors. Nissan is using the rear doors for mids and dash for highs. That leaves the front door speakers for the low frequencies and where most of the bass came from. The factory setup has a lot of bass (IMHO) in the stock configuration.

Note - Because the rear door factory speakers are 2ohm, if you upgrade them to 3ohm along with the dash speakers (3ohm), the front door speakers (2ohm) will be much louder if you don't upgrade them too. You can compensate by using the fader option on the head-unit to prioritize more to the rears. Not perfect, but it works if you can't upgrade the front doors too.

If you can do all (3) placements, it's a HUGE difference in the soundstage and clarity over the factory setup.

#9 · (Edited)
Dash speakers update - After upgrading the tweeters in the dash, I came across a pair of Metra 82-7403 Mounting Brackets that appear to be a perfect fit for the 22' dash mounts.

Rectangle Auto part Font Automotive exterior Metal

Product Output device Car subwoofer Electronic instrument Audio equipment

The bracket is a perfect fit!

Gadget Bumper Gas Electronic device Audio equipment

I want to try using them with the angled tweeter base adapter that comes with the JBLs so I can point them more towards the cabin...

Automotive wheel system Rim Gas Auto part Circle

I'll post an update once I get around to giving these a try.

08/22 Update - Weekend project completed. Here's the configuration I ended up with..

Drilled a 1.5 inch hole into the tweeter base plates to allow the JBL adjustable base to fit flush and pivot to adjust the direction of the sound.

Gas Circle Symmetry Rectangle Metal

Here's how the JBL tweeter base fit on the tweeter plate adapter...

Gas Font Circle Metal Auto part

Here's the back side of the plate...

Gas Rim Auto part Electronic device Circle

Side-by-side with factory tweeter...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Audio equipment Font Gas

With JBL tweeter installed...

Audio equipment Carbon Gas Circle Metal

Installed...

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

Overall, having better control on the sound direction has really improved the center-stage feel of the sound.

#12 ·
I can confirm completely doable. I did it on my 2017. If you check Crutchfield, they have all the fit info, including adapters (if any) that you'll need for your 2019. I wasn't that lucky with the 2022, but I was able to sort through it once I started looking at the R52 setup and comparing from there.

I did a quick scan of the parts catalog online and it looks like the 2019 still doesn't have the speaker and bracket in-one solution that we see with the 2022. That means you should be able to use as shallow 6x9 as a direct drop-in for the front doors and re-use the factory bracket. I believe others have posted about this in the R52 forum too so you'll probably find a lot of good info there too. Good luck and do post back to report what your setup looks like and how it went!

#13 ·
So, looking more at this. Crutchfield has specific PowerBass OE652-NS,

But like yours they were 3 ohm instead of the 2 ohm that is probably in my. So, if I switch from 2 ohm to 3 ohm, I know I will lose power, since Nissan is going the 2 ohn route they get the most power from lower amp power. Is there any other options that will be 2 ohm, so that I can keep the power and get improved sound?

#14 ·
So, looking more at this. Crutchfield has specific PowerBass OE652-NS,

But like yours they were 3 ohm instead of the 2 ohm that is probably in my. So, if I switch from 2 ohm to 3 ohm, I know I will lose power, since Nissan is going the 2 ohn route they get the most power from lower amp power. Is there any other options that will be 2 ohm, so that I can keep the power and get improved sound?

Check Memphis Audio? They too have shallow 6x9 speakers.

#16 ·
gholt had a similar question. Hopefully my response above helps.. :)

#17 ·
Thanks for posting this! Looking to add a sub to the factory speakers for a little more “umph”…or replace all speakers and sub on top of that.

i was spoiled with my 09xterra and the factory Rockford Fosgates that came with the tech package….

factory so far is good enough, but could be better

#19 ·
@DRK-PTHFNDR - This is very helpful info, thanks for sharing. I have a 22 SL pathfinder that I'm planning to upgrade as well. I noticed that in the middle of the dash there appears to be something that looks like a speaker. This is in between the two corner dash speakers. I'm not sure if this is a center channel speaker. I'm curious if you saw this on your pathfinder and if you know what it's used for?

Attachments

#27 ·
Following for more excellent posts and information. Awesome help thus far.

I plan on replacing & upgrading the (paltry) 6 speakers on a '23 Rock Creek, and hopefully adding more speakers to try to mimic the performance of Platinum and SL Pathfinders.

BTW, Happy Holidays to all.

Reactions: DRK-PTHFNDR
#29 ·
I would like to thank DRK-PTHFNDR for all the work he did testing out what works for the Pathfinder. I pretty much mirrored his install. I deviated a bit by snipping off the stock connector on the tweeter and soldering it to the JBL tweeter. I also had a problem with the tweeter pushing up the dash trim (maybe due to operator error?). I ended up trimming some to get it to work. I am sharing some pictures (please do not make to much fun of my horrible soldering job)

Attachments

#33 ·
I have upgraded my 2022 Pathfinder by adding line level to RCA converters fed from the speaker wiring at each door. I then added two amplifiers in the rear where the bose sub would go. Changed all speaker including the tweeters and ran new wires to each. Now my sound is amazing. one issue I have is the bass. I have bought a bazooka tube, as well as a cheaper sub as an experiment, tried an external amp and speaker and can't get deep bass at the sub level. I swear I read somewhere that the factory deck just doesn't produce those frequencies. At this point i have a sub installed but it does almost nothing. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? I did a similar set-up in my 2015 pathfinder and it was truly amazing....truly awesome!

#34 ·
Have you tried tapping at the head unit instead of at the speakers? I am wondering if the factory “crossover” that feeds the doors and dash may be attenuating the lower frequencies to protect the door woofer. After seeing another install in this forum tapped at the head unit and seeing the calibration on the laptop, it most certainly looks like it can produce those frequencies.

#35 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Circle

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say that this really helped me and thanks to the contributors. Nothing really new to add and ran into the same challenges. Minor Drexel and drill work on mounting brackets. Tight space for tweeters. I would call it moderately difficulty and would help to have some experience doing this.

I chose different speakers based on prior experience. I used Focal ISU690 component set for front woofer and tweeter. These are made for factory integration and each have crossovers. I just used them seperate in the dash tweeter and front door 6x9. The tweeters are super bright (but can be toned done with trebel. But you can hear everything on high end. The 6x9 I fills the lows well and does reasonable bass fill without sub. The rear door is Hertz C165 and is what I would call right in the middle of the strike zone. Good mids and general fill from the rear.

I would have preferred to get the Bose and be done with it, but it wasn't an option on Rock Creek. But this does nicely for crisp, clean, full sound. It is all 4 ohm, I don't think I lost any noticeable volume due better sensitivity. You can see the difference in magnet size. Glad I did it.
Light Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive tire Measuring instrument
Carbon Automotive exterior Automotive design Metal Bag
Automotive tire Camera lens Grey Rim Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Circle

Automotive tire Camera lens Grey Rim Gas

Carbon Automotive exterior Automotive design Metal Bag

Light Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive tire Measuring instrument

#41 ·
I'm assuming you are asking the [OP] this. The Focal ISU 690's I installed have an integrated crossover built into them and the pair is set by the maker to be most efficient and effective. Because you are dealing with not a lot of power and only 6 speakers, this is important in getting the most out of the situation. So I recommend them. My 2 cents.