Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that fuel/gas stops pumping when there's still a 1/2 left to a full tank. Tried forcing to pump but stops after a gallon and a half. Not sure if this is one of its safety features of nissan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Happened to me a few times in the first three months. It only happened when tank was 1/4 or below and tried to fill up. Then a day later I'd go and fill up the rest.
It stopped happening but I'm not sure the car was the whole issue. I had 2 gas stations where it never happened and others where it was frequent.

·
Registered
2022 SL AWD Build Date Mar 2022
337 Posts
I just picked up my (2022) Pathfinder SL last Wednesday (3/30/22), and have not had to pump gas just yet. I'm glad I read this now - will keep it in mind and report back!!

·
Registered
'22 Pathfinder SL Premium, build date 6/21
25 Posts
I've had my Pathfinder for 8 months and had this happen for the first time last week at a gas station I've never been to before. I just set the "latch" on the pump handle to a notch lower and it filled without further problem. So I'm guessing this is probably an issue with the pump, not the Pathfinder. That said, I've been told that routinely topping off the tank can lead to an issue with clogging the purge valve and that could lead to the issue of the gas pump stopping before the tank is full. So once the pump stops, I don't add any more fuel.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've had my Pathfinder for 8 months and had this happen for the first time last week at a gas station I've never been to before. I just set the "latch" on the pump handle to a notch lower and it filled without further problem. So I'm guessing this is probably an issue with the pump, not the Pathfinder. That said, I've been told that routinely topping off the tank can lead to an issue with clogging the purge valve and that could lead to the issue of the gas pump stopping before the tank is full. So once the pump stops, I don't add any more fuel.
I am hoping that by filling it at a 'slower rate', that will take care of this issue. As said, I've yet to fill the tank myself for the first time. I will keep an eye out for this issue!! Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine did this all the time. Drove me nuts. Happened at different gas stations. I tried repositioning the pump handle at all different angles, but still shut off early. Sometimes pumping slower helped. Finally had to start listening to when it was getting full.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Pathfinder
1 Posts
I would believe it could be the pump being used. It's happened once or twice to my 2014. I always use the trigger lock on the pump handle and it stops when she is full. Is your 2022 fuel neck different than a 2014?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your feedback folks. Today I did what someone had mentioned here before, set the pump Latch on the lower position, and it worked filling up to full tank. Guess it's a pump issue then. Only annoying thing was the waiting.lol.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just picked up my (2022) Pathfinder SL last Wednesday (3/30/22), and have not had to pump gas just yet. I'm glad I read this now - will keep it in mind and report back!!
Update: I gased the car up yesterday for the first time. Based on all the experiences shared here, I was successful. Here in New York, the 'latch' part of the pump has been defeated. I believe it is against the law here to have the pump fill automatically.
So, I inserted the pump nozzle and pumped slowly. Voila! Success! I pumped until the pump stop, did not try to top it off, and got back into the car. The fuel gauge read full and it indicated I had 386 miles left on the tank.
That was my first fill up. I will look forward to future fill ups and keep an eye out for this issue!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry this is happening to you and your Pathfinder @kretired.
I am having no issues pumping gas into the car at all.
In fact, I am able to 'top it off' when the particular gas pump allows me to dispense the gas at a very slow rate. That is catch-as-catch can with the gas pumps but, I do take advantage when I am able to!

·
Registered
'22 Pathfinder SL Premium, build date 6/21
25 Posts
Sorry this is happening to you and your Pathfinder @kretired.
I am having no issues pumping gas into the car at all.
In fact, I am able to 'top it off' when the particular gas pump allows me to dispense the gas at a very slow rate. That is catch-as-catch can with the gas pumps but, I do take advantage when I am able to!
By "topping off", you risk clogging the purge valve, which will be an expensive repair. Been there, done that with my Titan. It's best to stop filling when the gas pump first shuts off.

·
Registered
337 Posts
By "topping off", you risk clogging the purge valve, which will be an expensive repair. Been there, done that with my Titan. It's best to stop filling when the gas pump first shuts off.
Hey @BobNYC - I didn't know that at all!
Thanks for letting me know! There's nothing like learning from experience! I've been doing this for years on all my cars. Is this something that is unique to the Nissans? I guess I've had a lot of dumb luck. I can stop this now!

This is the explanation I found online - who knew?
  • The most common reason your car won’t start after filling gas at the gas station is due to an EVAP purge control valve stuck open. When you fill the tank with fuel, the overpressure of air needs somewhere to go and it can be tight with the fuel nozzle. Therefore if the valve is stuck open, it will get pushed directly into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue, 2015 PF, SL trim, 80k km/50k miles, happened few times, will try Not to hold max position with pump, was thinking EVAP problem, also while researching, found some recall from Nissan about this issue, Gas not filling up, even takn is not full

1 - 18 of 18 Posts