Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ideally you should only notice the engine restarting, but its the harsh nature of the restart that produces the lurch. In my research before purchasing the Pathfinder, I was very excited to read about all the fluid filled engine mounts and what's not to minimize engine noise and vibrations - I'm beginning to wonder if there is an issue with any of them that's not absorbing the energy properly on the restart, thereby causing said energy to be transferred to the chassis and producing the lurch. Just thinking out loud, not a mechanic by any means.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My 2022 pathfinder does not lurch, and sometimes I actually wonder if the function even works. Anyone else with that experience? Should you notice a lurch or the engine stating after a stop?
I feel like that is how it's supposed to work, When I test drove a Pathfinder before purchase, I recall having the same experience, I couldn't tell when Auto Start / Stop actually worked without looking at the dash board indicator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel like that is how it's supposed to work, When I test drove a Pathfinder before purchase, I recall having the same experience, I couldn't tell when Auto Start / Stop actually worked without looking at the dash board indicator.
Thanks for sharing Brent. That’s reassuring.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Same here, was flawless on both pathfinders I test drove before purchasing mine. Even mine was flawless for the first 2wks or so, and then I started noticing the harsh auto start more and more...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Same here, was flawless on both pathfinders I test drove before purchasing mine. Even mine was flawless for the first 2wks or so, and then I started noticing the harsh auto start more and more...
Thats interesting, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My car lurched twice yesterday when the car restarted after auto stop kicked in, both times I was stopped at a light and the car was at a slight incline. I have 1250 mi on it and he has never done that until now. My guess is the incline had something to do with it. It's also worth noting that Auto Hold was enabled too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There is all sorts of logic in the system to turn it on and off. There will be a fault displayed if there is an issue, otherwise don't try to think through it. It has to be driven over 12mph to activate it, driving in traffic or stop go under 5mph will deactivate it until driven over 5mph. The button turns it on/off any time you want. There is a ridiculous amount of data used for that system - any change in brake pressure while stopped (it's very sensitive), battery voltage, in cabin temp, outside temp, hvac choices, driver seatbelt status, door positions, even turning the steering wheel can impact it.

It's been used for years in other makes, so don't stress over it. Just drive it until there is a real problem or a light comes on.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 2WD
18 Posts
Nissan did us all a favor by conveniently locating a disable button for the automatic engine stop/start feature right near the shifter. My normal start up routine is to shift into Drive, then disable the auto-stop feature, then change the transmission to SPORT mode.

I do this now every time I hop in the vehicle and I have no complaints. This V6 engine with the transmission in SPORT mode accelerates very well. No V8 envy. Love the Gas Mileage, and the fact that it drinks REGULAR gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my Pathfinder 7/9/21 and for the first month of ownership I only ever got the auto start stop AC priority message meaning it didn't fully shut off. Could never really tell. Now that the weather is cooler and AC isn't running full blast, it has started fully shutting down on auto start stop and I do have the lurch when the engine aggressively turns back on. I am headed to the dealer soon for my vibrating driver side mirror to be replaced and will mention it to them then. I've owned many cars with this technology and they have never lurched like this one does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2022 Pathfinder lurches when restarting after the Auto Start/Stop has stopped the engine. If I'm sitting at a light and it turns off, then turns back on again before the light turns green, unless I have my foot firmly on the break peddle I lurch forward and have to depress the break to stop, It's annoying to me and my passengers have noticed it. Anyone else experiencing this behavior?
Yes! It's terrible! Just bought my Pathfinder last week and already have to go back to the dealership because of this and the AC/heater not working.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased my Pathfinder 7/9/21 and for the first month of ownership I only ever got the auto start stop AC priority message meaning it didn't fully shut off. Could never really tell. Now that the weather is cooler and AC isn't running full blast, it has started fully shutting down on auto start stop and I do have the lurch when the engine aggressively turns back on. I am headed to the dealer soon for my vibrating driver side mirror to be replaced and will mention it to them then. I've owned many cars with this technology and they have never lurched like this one does.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one noticing this as an issue. It's very aggressive. My husband's Ram has this feature and it's barely noticeable. Not to mention, the Pathfinder's feature only keeps the engine off for 10-12 seconds and doesn't work all the time. The most annoying part is when it shuts off as you enter a parking spot only to turn back on when the vehicle is put in park. I'd rather the dealership just disengage it completely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got my Pathfinder last week. Discovered today no heat. Not a good start.
It’s automatically set to auto which is the most hateful SW setting. You have to turn it all the way to max and turn on the fan to get the setting off. Then you can turn the dial and lower the fan. Every time you start the car, it goes to auto and wants to tell you how to be comfortable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2022 Pathfinder lurches when restarting after the Auto Start/Stop has stopped the engine. If I'm sitting at a light and it turns off, then turns back on again before the light turns green, unless I have my foot firmly on the break peddle I lurch forward and have to depress the break to stop, It's annoying to me and my passengers have noticed it. Anyone else experiencing this behavior?
This is only in eco mode right? If you are in standard mode does this happen? I know that in ECO mode you can either enable/disable the Auto Start/Stop Mode. I did notice that I can disable it in the menu settings and then press the button on the center console to turn it off. I did notice that the car slightly moves forward. I think its gets into 1st gear so obviously it will move forward. But lurching forward is a little bit of a concern. I have to get used to this a bit. Start the car. put it into drive and then press the button on the console to turn it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After using the car for a bit longer, I am pretty sure that the lurching symptom is simply a delay between the engine restarting and the brakes being applied. I use the auto hold feature and am able to avoid the lurching most of the time by stopping the car in the way which the auto hold system seems to like most -- pressing the brake firmly for about two seconds when I'm ready to come to a complete stop, instead of braking softly and coming to a complete stop more gradually. When engaging the auto hold by pressing the brake firmly, when the car restarts, it generally does not lurch as the brake seems to be already applied. In the cases where the car lurches, it seems to be going forward for a split second before the brakes engage, causing an abrupt and jarring movement in the car. It doesn't help that the movement is unexpected due to the engine never remaining off longer than about 15 seconds or so, and so you will be sitting there at a light and the car randomly lurches, which is quite disconcerting. I hope that a fix will be provided for that at some point, but it honestly does not happen to me that often these days ever since I have been more deliberate in my engaging of the auto hold feature when stopping.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium
3 Posts
My 2022 Pathfinder SL Premium does this also. This is a safety hazard that Nissan should be fixing ASAP. I also have a 2019 BMW X3 that has the same feature, and it does not lurch! If you are not holding the brake strongly, it feels like it could move forward un-expectantly which could cause an accident. This could be a big liability for Nissan if this is not addressed quickly.

Turning off the AutoStart function or using the AutoHold function is not a fix.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Lurching. Are you saying that with your foot on the brake, when the truck starts, the vehicle actually moves forward? The tires roll forward? If so, you aren't pushing the brake enough.

Ignore when the start/stop feature activates. Either turn it off and drive it or leave it on and let it work when it wants to. There is a ton of info the system uses to determine whether or not to activate, so it will not seem consistent.

A problem with the system will display a message. If you don't like it, return the car. Do not expect there to be a magic fix for this by bringing it to the dealer and wasting anyone's time.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,163 Posts
I'd love to know where is that magic place were cars can be returned when you are not happy with them.

New vehicles often need to be tweaked and from the amount of complaints we've seen posted in this forum plus a video posted in another thread showing very high rpms upon engine re-start, I think this is a valid concern.
Auto-start is not a new technology and this doesn't happen with other vehicles.
Taking it to the dealer might be a waste of time until Nissan issues a fix but they won't do anything about it until there are enough complaints.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could not agree more with jman. We have to stop making excuses for the car companies (or any company's products for that matter). They asked for a certain $ amount for their product, which I gladly paid, and in return I expect the product to function as advertised/marketed. I was excited yesterday when I saw my Pathfinder has a new recall for the ISS system. However, when I looked up the details, basically Nissan wants to reprogram the seatbelt logic in the ECU to clear an ISS error message which will appear on the dash if the driver goes thru 10 ignition cycles without wearing the seatbelt. Seriously Nissan????? What sense does that make? Don't they want people to wear their seatbelt to avoid the error message? And while this is advertised as an ISS issue, the fix is to reprogram the seatbelt logic in the ECU, nothing to do with the ISS. Mind blowing...

·
Registered
2022 Gun Metallic SL
17 Posts
Could not agree more with jman. We have to stop making excuses for the car companies (or any company's products for that matter). They asked for a certain $ amount for their product, which I gladly paid, and in return I expect the product to function as advertised/marketed. I was excited yesterday when I saw my Pathfinder has a new recall for the ISS system. However, when I looked up the details, basically Nissan wants to reprogram the seatbelt logic in the ECU to clear an ISS error message which will appear on the dash if the driver goes thru 10 ignition cycles without wearing the seatbelt. Seriously Nissan????? What sense does that make? Don't they want people to wear their seatbelt to avoid the error message? And while this is advertised as an ISS issue, the fix is to reprogram the seatbelt logic in the ECU, nothing to do with the ISS. Mind blowing...
Where were you able to find the details on the ISS-ECU reprogram service campaign?

The MyNISSAN app indicates my SL should get it, but doesn’t list any detail. I called the service department at my dealership and was told it was just a software update and they had no details on what it addressed.

Thanks

21 - 40 of 66 Posts