Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2020 SL and will be installing an after market tow package. What I’m wondering is, will the factory installed rear suspension be strong enough for a #4000 trailer plus cargo? That’s in addition to passengers in the third row seat.
Thank you for any help.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,581 Posts
The short answer is no. My Pathy bottoms out with just 7 passengers in the vehicle, let alone a trailer. Yet, many of us are pulling trailers without any special suspension components other than perhaps a weight distribution hitch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The short answer is no. My Pathy bottoms out with just 7 passengers in the vehicle, let alone a trailer. Yet, many of us are pulling trailers without any special suspension components other than perhaps a weight distribution hitch.
Thank you so I guess I won’t worry about it at this time. I’ll see how it does on its maiden trip and go from there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My back end drops 2" when I hook up my 3,800lb. trailer. I will be installing air bags in the shocks this spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My back end drops 2" when I hook up my 3,800lb. trailer. I will be installing air bags in the shocks this spring.
Yes I’m wondering about that as well. I’m thinking weight leveling shocks or a heavy duty shock. I’m not sure I want to mess with air bags.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 SL and will be installing an after market tow package. What I’m wondering is, will the factory installed rear suspension be strong enough for a #4000 trailer plus cargo? That’s in addition to passengers in the third row seat.
Thank you for any help.
I have a 2015 AWD with factory tow package. Mine has a 1300 pound cargo capacity. Look for the specs for yours on the driver's door frame stickers. Also look for the rear axle maximum weight. Do not exceed that weight specification.

Odds are a 4000 pound trailer plus cargo will exceed towing capacity and cargo capacity of your Path Finder. This will be especially true when carrying 7 passengers.

Subtract weight of all passengers, luggage, and equipment from cargo capacity. Weight of driver in excess of 150 pounds must also be subtracted. Subtract any equipment added after leaving the factory, like after market hitch as well.

What is left is available for tongue weight of the trailer. Tongue weight must be at least 10% of the actual weight of the trailer for safe towing. 15% would be more stable. Actual weights are what matter. A 4000# trailer must have at least 400# on the tongue. Actual tongue weights vary a lot. It might be 800#.

Air bags will not increase the axle maximum weight limits. Air bags can level the vehicle.

A weight distribution hitch (WDH) works when trailer weight does not change much. A utility trailer often carries different loads at different times. A trailer loaded about the same on every trip would work well with a WDH.

A WDH transfers a little weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle. The weight is moved to the front wheels and to the trailer wheels. Magic isn't it? Remove the WDH when not towing. You are back to normal suspension.

You will also need trailer brakes for safe stopping. Jack knifing in a panic stop becomes deadly.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2015 AWD with factory tow package. Mine has a 1300 pound cargo capacity. Look for the specs for yours on the driver's door frame stickers. Also look for the rear axle maximum weight. Do not exceed that weight specification.

Odds are a 4000 pound trailer plus cargo will exceed towing capacity and cargo capacity of your Path Finder. This will be especially true when carrying 7 passengers.

Subtract weight of all passengers, luggage, and equipment from cargo capacity. Weight of driver in excess of 150 pounds must also be subtracted. Subtract any equipment added after leaving the factory, like after market hitch as well.

What is left is available for tongue weight of the trailer. Tongue weight must be at least 10% of the actual weight of the trailer for safe towing. 15% would be more stable. Actual weights are what matter. A 4000# trailer must have at least 400# on the tongue. Actual tongue weights vary a lot. It might be 800#.

Air bags will not increase the axle maximum weight limits. Air bags can level the vehicle.

A weight distribution hitch (WDH) works when trailer weight does not change much. A utility trailer often carries different loads at different times. A trailer loaded about the same on every trip would work well with a WDH.

A WDH transfers a little weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle. The weight is moved to the front wheels and to the trailer wheels. Magic isn't it? Remove the WDH when not towing. You are back to normal suspension.

You will also need trailer brakes for safe stopping. Jack knifing in a panic stop becomes deadly.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!:)
Thank you much. It’s has 6000 lb towing rate but I need to figure everything else out. Your post will help me with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts